Marshall B. Ketchum University: 2018-2019 Cycle

On 9/12/2018 at 12:44 AM, KatherineLee said:

Congrats to everyone who received an interview! I will be applying next year and was wondering if those that received an interview can comment on if they took organic with or without a lab and if they took biochem?

Also, wondering when everyone submitted they're app that has received an interview so far? 

THANKS GUYS! 

I took Organic with a lab, and I didn't take biochem.  And I have an interview!  I'm so excited.  

6 hours ago, turkeycove said:

Any info as to why their accreditation status is “provisional “

Every new program starts off as provisional, which just means they are a new program and the arc-pa has to do more frequent check-ins with them to make sure they are on the right track.

This is not a problem at all, except  very new programs that have just started out might have a lot of kinks they are still straightening out as they will probably continue to make mistakes and learn for a few years.

Under PROBATION is what would be a problem, which MBKU is not.

MBKU is kind of new, but has already been around for a good few years (since 2011 I want to say). It is actually an amazing program from what I am seeing and what I have heard, and hopefully this March, they will be changed to Continued Accreditation (which I am super excited about , as I hope to get an acceptance there).

Edited by SoCaliPrePA
  • Like 1

I will be giving up my interview spot next month due to my acceptance at another program. This was a tough decision because this program is great and the faculty that run it are truly remarkable. My other program fits my long term plan a little better as I am considering moving out of California. Again, this was a really tough decision. 

I hope this gives someone on the waitlist a late Christmas surprise. Good luck everyone!! 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I will be giving up my interview spot next month due to my acceptance at another program. This was a tough decision because this program is great and the faculty that run it are truly remarkable. My other program fits my long term plan a little better as I am considering moving out of California. Again, this was a really tough decision. 

I hope this gives someone on the waitlist a late Christmas surprise. Good luck everyone!! 

Congratulations and best of luck to you at your program! You'll do awesome! Happy Holidays to you 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

So happy for you Geoffrey! Your stats are amazing and you're so kind! What school will have the honor of having you?!

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 11:33 AM, SunnyPA said:

Rejected as well. I would love to know why, but just like the 2 years prior I’ll never know. Has anyone that has been rejected every received an answer about why they were not considered?

Thank you and congratulations to those who were accepted into this very special school. 

You should contact the admissions office. Leslie Lim is the director of admissions there, and they are actually quite good at giving feedback as to how you can improve your application. You may have to wait until after February though, as I'm sure they'll be busy finalizing their next class until then. Best wishes to you on your journey. Don't give up!

• Upvote 1

Rejected as well. I would love to know why, but just like the 2 years prior I’ll never know. Has anyone that has been rejected every received an answer about why they were not considered?

Thank you and congratulations to those who were accepted into this very special school. 

27 minutes ago, Lollie796 said:

You should contact the admissions office. Leslie Lim is the director of admissions there, and they are actually quite good at giving feedback as to how you can improve your application. You may have to wait until after February though, as I'm sure they'll be busy finalizing their next class until then. Best wishes to you on your journey. Don't give up!

I agree. Leslie is one of the nicest people I have ever met. I would wait just as @Lollie796suggested and contact Leslie after the cycle is over. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:33 AM, SunnyPA said:

I called the admissions office last year after the class matriculated and they were very helpful in letting me know what I needed to work on. I was given an interview this year (Jan 18th). I've applied 4 times and tried to get better each time. They do review the whole application not just the GPA. Look into volunteer opportunities in your community, health care experience opportunities, and other ways to help your application stand out. I know it's tuff to see that email but, hang in there and keep applying. Every no is one step closer to the yes you're looking for!! Good luck everybody and stay the course!!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Sunny,

Don’t despair. I emailed them last year and asked for feedback and they were actually very good about sending me detailed feedback about a week or two later.  Sometimes it’s just the vibe they get from you.  Sometimes it’s just not meant to be. Interviewed at another school and they loved me so go figure. In the end they always say something like, “the applicant pool was very competitive...” but in reality if you got an interview that means they think you could handle the workload.  At that point they just get to pick who they mesh well with.  Interview prepping has a lot to do with it of course.  I found the book “How To "Ace" The Physician Assistant School Interview: From the author of the best -selling book, The Ultimate Guide to Getting Into Physician Assistant School” to be very helpful for the interview.

Good luck in your journey!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 12/27/2018 at 3:20 PM, cpsurf said:

I called the admissions office last year after the class matriculated and they were very helpful in letting me know what I needed to work on. I was given an interview this year (Jan 18th). I've applied 4 times and tried to get better each time. They do review the whole application not just the GPA. Look into volunteer opportunities in your community, health care experience opportunities, and other ways to help your application stand out. I know it's tuff to see that email but, hang in there and keep applying. Every no is one step closer to the yes you're looking for!! Good luck everybody and stay the course!!!

Hi @cpsurf!

I'm interviewing on the 18th as well, are you the 8AM or 9AM?

Julie