Samuel Merritt University: 2018-2019 Cycle

On 12/28/2018 at 2:29 PM, NA112 said:

Hi. How about international students? :S. I know they said they accept applications from  international students but how likely are they to interview and accept them. I am from Canada and I have applied for this cycle. Still have not heard anything from them...keeping fingers crossed. Also, if they don’t send an invitation for an interview would they send a “decline” letter? I think a lot of people here are wondering that too 

I am unsure on the international part. We do have people in our class that were born outside of the USA, but I believe their education was done in the United States. Also, if SMU says they accept applications from international students that would mean that they do accept international students.  SMU does a great job at looking at every applicant holistically. They truly want to have a well rounded cohort and not students that are just great academically. In regards to the invitation to interview, you can be asked to interview at any time until they are done with the last interview. There was a lady that was called the day before the first interview and was invited to interview the following day. She was accepted to SMU. So, you can be asked to interview at any moment. 

12 hours ago, atlwizard said:

That's a good question. Per the invitation email, there will be "one-on-one interviews with two (2) faculty members and a panel interview with a small group of students." I'm presuming the one-on-one interview could be blind interviews so definitely prepare for it. 

What’s a blind interview?

On 1/3/2019 at 5:59 PM, Mayymayy said:

Does anyone know if the interview is a blind interview?

Unfortunately, I cannot answer this question as not all individuals who have been given an invitation to interview know about this forum. Therefore, it would be unfair if I answered this question. Regardless, I know it sounds cliche but just be yourself during the interview. The day will be exhausting, but it is a ton of fun. Also, please come to the to the pizza party the night before the interviews if you can make it. It is an informal way to get your questions answered about the program by the current students and to ease the nerves.

Edited by Peanut3
  • Upvote 1

On 1/7/2019 at 12:49 AM, Peanut3 said:

Unfortunately, I cannot answer this question as not all individuals who have been given an invitation to interview know about this forum. Therefore, it would be unfair if I answered this question. Regardless, I know it sounds cliche but just be yourself during the interview. The day will be exhausting, but it is a ton of fun. Also, please come to the to the pizza party the night before the interviews if you can make it. It is an informal way to get your questions answered about the program by the current students and to ease the nerves.

Can you provide us more information (date, location, time) in regards to the pizza party the night prior? Will we be receiving an email about this or is it impromptu? Thanks!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, atlwizard said:

Can you provide us more information (date, location, time) in regards to the pizza party the night prior? Will we be receiving an email about this or is it impromptu? Thanks!

For those that are interviewing on 1/19 you should be receiving an email in the next few days. I received my invitation in the spam folder, so check your spam folders! It is the night before the interview and it is just student based, so no professors that will be interviewing you. So come and relax your nerves and eat some pizza and get your questions answered! All of us found it helpful. Plus you will know where to go on interview day, so you do not get lost! 

~ Paige 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PAgirl89 said:

Does anyone have any hotel recommendations with food nearby the school??

I stayed at the Hyatt which is in emeryville. It has many shops nearby and the hotel has free breakfast and a gym. It was a little bit too much $$$ but I it was great to have a good bed to sleep, a work out area, and food in the morning. It was about a 15 minute drive to school the day of the interview. 

Hi everyone! For those of you who are interviewing this weekend, make sure you check your email for an invite to the Pizza Social the night prior and RSVP. It is just with current students as a way to shake off some nerves and see the campus before the morning of the interview. 

Can’t wait to meet you all! :) 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sspin123 said:

Hi everyone! For those of you who are interviewing this weekend, make sure you check your email for an invite to the Pizza Social the night prior and RSVP. It is just with current students as a way to shake off some nerves and see the campus before the morning of the interview. 

Can’t wait to meet you all! 🙂

I’ve searched all corners of my email and can’t find this. Have the details been sent yet? I’d love to go!

Thanks! 🙂

1 hour ago, PAdreamer2018 said:

I’ve searched all corners of my email and can’t find this. Have the details been sent yet? I’d love to go!

Thanks! 🙂

If you are interviewing this weekend you should be getting an email with the invitation and the information for the pizza social. Unfortunately, we cannot provide the details for the pizza social on this forum. So if you do not have an invitation by Wednesday or Thursday it would be best to contact the admissions team at SMU.

To those that are interviewing on January 19th,

Be aware that this is also the day of the Women's March in Oakland, starting at 10:00 am.  Although the March is 15-20 blocks south of where Samuel Merritt is, the high volume of people expected to attend (think up to 50-100,000) may cause traffic issues. Plan accordingly!!

WMO 2018 march route.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PAdreamer2018 said:

Thanks! 🙂

Hi! 

I found the email in my spam folder. You could check that folder if you are coming to the Jan 19th interview. 🙂 Hope to see you there!

44 minutes ago, JessH said:

Does anybody know if and when there will be another round of interviews? Congrats to those who got invites. Still waiting for mine, fingers crossed!

Hi Jess,

I really hope that there will be another round of interviews because it seems like everyone will be going to the interview on 1/19 so far. So fingers crossed 🙏🏻

Kaitlyn,

3 hours ago, JessH said:

Does anybody know if and when there will be another round of interviews? Congrats to those who got invites. Still waiting for mine, fingers crossed!

Hi! I received an interview invite on 1/14. I was given three options for dates: 1/19, 1/26, 2/2. 1/19 was fully booked so I chose 1/26. Hang in there! Hope this helps answer your question!

Now I'm wondering, will there be a pizza social for the people interviewing on the later dates? 😊

22 hours ago, DSoup said:

Hi! I received an interview invite on 1/14. I was given three options for dates: 1/19, 1/26, 2/2. 1/19 was fully booked so I chose 1/26. Hang in there! Hope this helps answer your question!

Now I'm wondering, will there be a pizza social for the people interviewing on the later dates? 😊

Yes, there will be a pizza social for every interview. 

• Like 1

Hi guys! Congratulations to everyone applying and getting interviews! I received the interview invited for the 19th,26th or 2nd as well. Does anyone know if Samuel Merritt does rolling admissions? Or do they wait until the interviews are all conducted to fill seats? I reached out to the school but haven’t heard back yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KAJohnson congrats on your interview! I came across a blog that had an interview with the assistant program director. This was published in Feb last year but I think it hasn't changed. She said that they did not do rolling admissions and only offered early admission to some stand-out candidates. Looking at the thread last year this sounds about right. 
There's some other great info about the program. Here's the link if you want to check it out!

https://beaphysicianassistant.com/blog/samuel-merritt-university-pa-program-profile

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PASurge10 said:

KAJohnson congrats on your interview! I came across a blog that had an interview with the assistant program director. This was published in Feb last year but I think it hasn't changed. She said that they did not do rolling admissions and only offered early admission to some stand-out candidates. Looking at the thread last year this sounds about right. 
There's some other great info about the program. Here's the link if you want to check it out!

https://beaphysicianassistant.com/blog/samuel-merritt-university-pa-program-profile

Thank YOU for sharing the link to this most insightful article!! 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 10:55 AM, NicoleJo said:

For those interviewing 1/19, does the interview start at 9:00am or 8:00am? When we first chose our date it said the interview was 8:00am-5:00pm but the reminder e-mail says the interview begins at 9:00am. Just wanting to confirm, thank you guys!

Hi NicoleJo, I am assuming the day starts at 8:00am per our original invitation. Maybe the main activities start later, but I plan to arrive around 7:30am as asked in the first email.  Did you contact Tonette Green? Are you going to meet and greet tonight? Looking forward to meeting you!! 🙂

• Like 1