Samuel Merritt University: 2018-2019 Cycle

Hello Everyone! I am a first year student. And we started hearing around the the first part of December for interviews. However due to the fire we were closed for 5 days plus we had thanksgiving, so who knows if that will delay things. So hopefully not too much longer for everyone to receive calls. Good luck everyone! 

Edited by Peanut3
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 2

I attended! Here are some points I got.

• SMU will send interview invites at the end of the month
  • 44 accepted in Oakland, 25 accepted in Fresno
  • 3 interview days in Oakland for both sites
  • No housing for either campus as of now
  • $10-20K for living expenses in the Fresno program... it's more expensive in Oakland
  • Interview 48 candidates on each day so 144 total candidates...so 69/144 people accepted into one of 2 campuses
  • 1 on 1 with 2 diff faculty, group interview with 8 candidates and 3 PA students, and a meeting with chair + 3 candidates.
  •  Interview on Saturday (2nd/3rd weekend of January and 2nd/3rd weekend February)
  • Roughly 1600 applications this year

Let me know if you got any other questions!

• Like 11
  • Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, NA112 said:

Hey. How did you hear about the Fresno update, was it through email? I feel like I am not getting any emails :S

Ms. Green sent out an email early Monday morning stating there was a Fresno update webinar at 4pm that day. Not much new information if you attended the other webinars. They just now can safely say they have the building and applications are still under active review. I would just double check the email you used for CASPA and check spam too. In the webinar she says that the emails are blasted to all applicants. But I didn’t get the first webinar notification before, I added myself to the admission mailing list and now I receive the emails. Check the Samuel Merritt PA admissions events page there was a link to receive updates from them.  

19 minutes ago, Vg993 said:

Ms. Green sent out an email early Monday morning stating there was a Fresno update webinar at 4pm that day. Not much new information if you attended the other webinars. They just now can safely say they have the building and applications are still under active review. I would just double check the email you used for CASPA and check spam too. In the webinar she says that the emails are blasted to all applicants. But I didn’t get the first webinar notification before, I added myself to the admission mailing list and now I receive the emails. Check the Samuel Merritt PA admissions events page there was a link to receive updates from them.  

Thank you for letting me know!!

I received one in August (I submitted in June) that said: 

Thank you for submitting an application to Samuel Merritt University. This is an automated email to confirm that we have received your application for:

Year: 2019 
Term: Fall 
Program: Master of Physician Assistant

Our review process will begin this summer and continue throughout the fall.  When we review your application, we will notify you by email if we need any additional information or documents. Please do not send us transcripts of courses you have completed since you submitted your CASPA application; we do not go back and recalculate GPA’s based on recently completed classes. We assume you will successfully complete all classes indicated as in progress on your application. Do not send resumes, additional letters of recommendation, certificates, updates to your health care experience hours, etc. We only look at and consider the information we require as part of the standard application. As a reminder, we do not require the GRE’s and do not have a supplemental application. No changes can be made to your application. 

We will begin sending out interview invitations in November and will continue to invite candidates to interview as space permits until the interview process is completed.  We have a total of 144 interview slots.  It is very likely you will not hear from us before that time.  Invitations come directly from the PA department and not through the Office of Admission. All applicants will know their final admission status by the beginning of March.  We notify everyone of their final status by email.  A tentative timeline for this admission cycle is on our website. 

Email is the official method of communication from the university. If you are expecting an email from us, please check your "spam/junk" folder. We respectfully request that you do not call us regarding your current application status. Please know that we have your application, it will go through our review process and we will email you if we need any additional information or clarification of any information throughout the review process.  

Again, thank you for your interest in and application to the MPA program at Samuel Merritt University!

Sincerely,

Tonette Green
Admission Counselor
Samuel Merritt University

I do not believe any invites have gone out yet though. 🙂 

Edited by aberino
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, aberino said:

I received one in August (I submitted in June) that said: 

Thank you for submitting an application to Samuel Merritt University. This is an automated email to confirm that we have received your application for:

Year: 2019 
Term: Fall 
Program: Master of Physician Assistant

Our review process will begin this summer and continue throughout the fall.  When we review your application, we will notify you by email if we need any additional information or documents. Please do not send us transcripts of courses you have completed since you submitted your CASPA application; we do not go back and recalculate GPA’s based on recently completed classes. We assume you will successfully complete all classes indicated as in progress on your application. Do not send resumes, additional letters of recommendation, certificates, updates to your health care experience hours, etc. We only look at and consider the information we require as part of the standard application. As a reminder, we do not require the GRE’s and do not have a supplemental application. No changes can be made to your application. 

We will begin sending out interview invitations in November and will continue to invite candidates to interview as space permits until the interview process is completed.  We have a total of 144 interview slots.  It is very likely you will not hear from us before that time.  Invitations come directly from the PA department and not through the Office of Admission. All applicants will know their final admission status by the beginning of March.  We notify everyone of their final status by email.  A tentative timeline for this admission cycle is on our website. 

Email is the official method of communication from the university. If you are expecting an email from us, please check your "spam/junk" folder. We respectfully request that you do not call us regarding your current application status. Please know that we have your application, it will go through our review process and we will email you if we need any additional information or clarification of any information throughout the review process.  

Again, thank you for your interest in and application to the MPA program at Samuel Merritt University!

Sincerely,

Tonette Green
Admission Counselor
Samuel Merritt University

I do not believe any invites have gone out yet though. 🙂 

Thanks, I received the same one too but I read somewhere else that they sent out a confirmation of meeting requirements. Hmmmmm maybe I am mistaken or misread it. Goodluck to all 🙂 

1 hour ago, Blaze00031 said:

Absolutely thrilled to get the Email invitation to interview at Samuel Merritt!  I got it around 3 o’clock today. 

I am certainly looking forward to meeting more of you in this forum and in the future!

Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations on the invite! Did you choose the Oakland location?