Samuel Merritt University: 2018-2019 Cycle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:34 PM, PAplease123 said:

does samuel merritt utilize rolling applications? I am having difficulty finding that information on their website. thank you!

They do not utilize rolling admissions. I applied in August and got selected for the first interview in January and was accepted.

• Like 4

Hi all,

I spent what felt like forever trying to find the "Core Values" listed on the website. I couldn't find them so I ended up writing my CASPA narrative using the program goals thinking those were also the core values since I couldn't locate them). I wonder how many people have done the same thing over the last couple of years?! I am considering emailing the program to ask how much this will influence my application....Any current students out there care to chime in on whether its worth reaching out to admissions?

If you haven't clicked submit on your CASPA application yet, and you are reading this, someone posted the Core Values on another thread in the forum so you can check them out there.  Unfortunately, I still couldn't find them on the school's website. 

Best to all. 

On 7/10/2018 at 7:49 PM, SGPDX84 said:

Hi all,

I spent what felt like forever trying to find the "Core Values" listed on the website. I couldn't find them so I ended up writing my CASPA narrative using the program goals thinking those were also the core values since I couldn't locate them). I wonder how many people have done the same thing over the last couple of years?! I am considering emailing the program to ask how much this will influence my application....Any current students out there care to chime in on whether its worth reaching out to admissions?

If you haven't clicked submit on your CASPA application yet, and you are reading this, someone posted the Core Values on another thread in the forum so you can check them out there.  Unfortunately, I still couldn't find them on the school's website. 

Best to all. 

Hi SGPDX84,

Current student here. Here is the website for the "core values": https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/admission/mpa/prereq (for everyone else who has trouble finding it). If you touched on some of the values, you shouldn't worry too much about it. Other areas in the CASPA application should demonstrate the core values anyway. I don't think it will be necessary to contact admissions about it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Meowww said:

Hi SGPDX84,

Current student here. Here is the website for the "core values": https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/admission/mpa/prereq (for everyone else who has trouble finding it). If you touched on some of the values, you shouldn't worry too much about it. Other areas in the CASPA application should demonstrate the core values anyway. I don't think it will be necessary to contact admissions about it. 

Thank you so much for your help (and your username is the best)!

Do you have any advice for those of us applying this cycle in regards to the interview process?

Thank you!

11 hours ago, daydreamy said:

Thank you so much for your help (and your username is the best)!

Do you have any advice for those of us applying this cycle in regards to the interview process?

Thank you!

Hi Daydreamy, 

Haha thanks, it was the only username I could come up with. Yours reminds me of Greys Anatomy - McDreamy. 

Now for the advice - be VERY patient and DONT contact the school unless you absolutely need to. Ask here first if it can wait. ? Faculty won’t start reading the applications until after the deadline for SMU has passed. Be assured they are putting in the time to read each one of your applications to determine if you are a possible fit for SMU. There may be 2000-3000 applications (PA school is getting more and more applicants and btw SMU is in the Bay Area with good weather, food, and plenty to do) with about ~144 interview spots. They usually don’t send out invitations to interview until maybe December. If you do get an interview, make sure you come out to the informal meeting with the current students the night before to shake off your nerves, get a feel of the school, and to get any questions answered. The interview is an all day long (8am-5pm) and it’s meant for them to get to know you and for you to see if SMU is a good fit. I can’t exactly say what the days consists of, though. Hope this helps!!!

Edited by Meowww
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, mc9214 said:

Hey has anyone gained access to the webinar this evening ? 

Nope, Im glad Im not the only one. If anyone has been able to access the webinar either tonight or previously, would you mind posting a synopsis of the info they give? Looks like there aren't any more planned and I was looking forward to having the extra info. 

15 hours ago, pahopeful0113 said:

Nope, Im glad Im not the only one. If anyone has been able to access the webinar either tonight or previously, would you mind posting a synopsis of the info they give? Looks like there aren't any more planned and I was looking forward to having the extra info. 

I attended one a couple of months ago. They honestly discussed everything that's on their website. They did go into a little more detail, but I don't remember about what in particular. If you have specific questions, I can try to answer them based off of what I remember!

On ‎08‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, mc9214 said:

Hey has anyone been able to access the webinars or drop in sessions lately? I'm not sure if its not working for me or if the times are different from the website. The main question I have is does biochemistry count for the biology elective? 

Is your biochem from the chemistry department or biology? I would assume that it's a chemistry elective.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, KatherineLee said:

Congrats to everyone who has completed their applications this year! I will be applying next year and was wondering if those that have applied can comment on if they took organic with or without a lab and if they took biochem?

Also, wondering when everyone submitted they're app? THANKS GUYS! 

Katherine,

From my own personal experience I wish I would have taken Ochem lab with lecture during my undergrad because it would have opened up more opportunities to apply to various programs near my hometown throughout the application process. With that being said, I do not believe the lab is required for the CA schools you posted on (otherwise I wouldn’t have applied) but it would be beneficial in my opinion and you will definitely be wanting to take Ochem lecture.

I took biochemistry as well during undergrad and recommend taking it because a handful of programs like to see that you’ve taken it (or at least recommend it).

Submitted my CASPA 5/31

Best of luck!

Edited by NicoleJo

17 hours ago, KatherineLee said:

Congrats to everyone who has completed their applications this year! I will be applying next year and was wondering if those that have applied can comment on if they took organic with or without a lab and if they took biochem?

Also, wondering when everyone submitted they're app? THANKS GUYS! 

Katherine,

I took organic chem with lab all 3 quarters. (I was a biology major so it was a requirement to take a whole year with lab).  This gave me some flexibility in choosing what organic chem classes I wanted to indicate as prereq courses on the applications. I got higher grades in the labs so I picked all of my organic chem lab courses and 1 lecture course to meet the prereqs. 

I also took biochem, but just the lecture. I feel like I could have done without it, but if a majority of the programs you're applying to ask for it, then you should probably take it. 

I submitted a bit late in the cycle (late August). I suggest you submit earlier than that although I'm unsure if it matters. I think it would only matter if the program is rolling admissions. 

5 hours ago, Vg993 said:

Awaiting any updates from SMU! Best of luck to you all! I received an email on 9/3 that they received my application. Looking at the tentative schedule we should be hearing back November-March on interview. I’m very excited and nervous as I submitted “late”. 

I submitted late too but I think it'll be ok. I don't think they do rolling admissions.