Financial Aid -- additional aid perhaps?

I am currently in the process of figuring out expenses and financial aid for school. I have calculated all of my expenses --- PA school + personal combined -- and I will fall short of money even after getting the max amount of loan (up to COA). I wanted to ask what others have gone through in order to cover their expenses (perhaps a few additional thousands)? I have called my school's FinAid office and they will NOT increase my COA -- they said they've already included everything on the total COA. I'm assuming going through private loan on my own on top of FAFSA and GradPlus loan would be the best option? Any suggestions? I'm single with no wife/kids, so much respect to those that have families to take care off while attending PA school.

You could try a private loan - but I think even they only give up to the COA under student loans - so it really would be a personal loan.

Get a roommate, cut costs, do what you can.  I've found that most schools are actually quite generous when determining the COA - I went through school in one of the most expensive cities and managed to do it without roommates and without living in poverty.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 8:18 PM, Doppio_Espresso said:

I am currently in the process of figuring out expenses and financial aid for school. I have calculated all of my expenses --- PA school + personal combined -- and I will fall short of money even after getting the max amount of loan (up to COA). I wanted to ask what others have gone through in order to cover their expenses (perhaps a few additional thousands)? I have called my school's FinAid office and they will NOT increase my COA -- they said they've already included everything on the total COA. I'm assuming going through private loan on my own on top of FAFSA and GradPlus loan would be the best option? Any suggestions? I'm single with no wife/kids, so much respect to those that have families to take care off while attending PA school.

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I wanted you to know I am in the same predicament as you. I have considered the private loan option. However, I am going to hold off and see how little I can actually live on. I do have some funds coming from a 401K. Not sure how old you are or if it matters, maybe the Parent PLUS is an option.

Archived