If it does, it shouldn't.  The expericence gained as a dental assistant is vastly different than the work of a PA.  I'm not dissing the work, but how does that help in PA school?  When I went to PA school, HCE was an absolute requirement and it had to be significant.  Being a nurse, respiratory therapist, PT, etc.  I was a surgical technologist, paramedic, and a combat flight medic.

LKPAC, with all due respect, are you intimately familiar with the training and education of this profession? If not, I really think you should be open to the possibility that they are potentially well educated to do what they do. They clearly perform a relatively intimate procedure upon patients of all ages. They are possibly well educated in oral pathology, anatomy, and dentist type pharmacology (antibiotics to anesthetics).

I encourage the OP to reach out to programs of interest with a well prepared description of your job duties. What programs think is what matters.

Edited by mcclane
  • Upvote 2

Oral health is a significant (and often overlooked) component of health. It’s important knowledge for any health professional to have. Not sure we can answer your question unless you tell us a bit more about your role as a dental assistant as that term is fairly vague.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mcclane said:

LKPAC, with all due respect, are you intimately familiar with the training and education of this profession? If not, I really think you should be open to the possibility that they are potentially well educated to do what they do. They clearly perform a relatively intimate procedure upon patients of all ages. They are possibly well educated in oral pathology, anatomy, and dentist type pharmacology (antibiotics to anesthetics).

I encourage the OP to reach out to programs of interest with a well prepared description of your job duties. What programs think is what matters.

Perhaps you're thinking of a dental hygienist, not a dental assistant. Very different.

14 minutes ago, LKPAC said:

Perhaps you're thinking of a dental hygienist, not a dental assistant. Very different.

I agree, much different, dental assistant (from what I have seen and heard) do very basic things such as taking xrays, flossing, setting up equipment, looking at insurance, etc. Dental hygienist should could as HCE for PA in  my opinion.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By StephanieO
      Thanks for taking the time to read this ! So I graduated from university with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 and a science gpa of 2.85. I’ve been working full time as a patient care tech at a hospital to get my hours (so far I have around 1500) and volunteering as well. At this point, I understand that my stats are no where near competitive enough to get me into PA school, and retaking courses might be the better option. However, a few courses won’t raise my gpa. Would it make sense to do an accelerated bsn program instead ? It would be a significantly larger amount of credits, and I would at least have a job to fall back on, or even a second option (np school) if I don’t get into PA school. The only downside is the cost of the accelerated bsn program. However, if I work for a year, I should be able to pay it off and get a more “robust “ PCE. 
    • By Finntastic
      I know this is mainly a "contact the school" issue, but I'm wondering is anyone has ever had a problem with programs accepting a combined organic chem and biochem course? I just found out one of them won't allow it after I applied 😞
    • By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.
    • By PANCEon
      I wish at 18, I would've chosen the pre-pa route and gotten an associate's degree in DMS or an echo cardiogram tech then continued to get certified in different specialties. I may have taken pre med courses as well. Became a CNA and worked in many different specialties, hospitals, hospice, nursing and rehab facilities for experience, money, connections, letters of recommendation, on the job training to get certified in imaging, phlebotomy, resp tech, occupational or physical therapy technicians, basic EMT 1-IV, ER tech, pharmacy tech, and become a American Red Cross CNA trainer or at least CPR, AED, BLS, first aid and phlebotomy instructor's. Setting up blood drives, charity events etc. Too many ideas to count. I know now that being a healthcare professional  is my calling. Some ppl can just play the piano, which I can't, but medicine/biology/anatomy, makes perfect sense. But, I'm 40 now, and my Psychology degree I got in 2001 afforded me sales positions from food broker territory manager, pharmaceutical sales, animal diagnostic laboratory sales manager. I worked from home and travelled all over. I liked being my own boss, and other's as well. I then became a seller and writer of mortgages. Now, I have been on disability for 10yrs and am ready to do what I was meant to. I just wish I was younger. That's why it's important for me to manage my time and not waste a minute doing something that isn't going to help me get in a program. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More