If it does, it shouldn't.  The expericence gained as a dental assistant is vastly different than the work of a PA.  I'm not dissing the work, but how does that help in PA school?  When I went to PA school, HCE was an absolute requirement and it had to be significant.  Being a nurse, respiratory therapist, PT, etc.  I was a surgical technologist, paramedic, and a combat flight medic.

Guest HanSolo

Oral health is a significant (and often overlooked) component of health. It’s important knowledge for any health professional to have. Not sure we can answer your question unless you tell us a bit more about your role as a dental assistant as that term is fairly vague.

12 hours ago, mcclane said:

LKPAC, with all due respect, are you intimately familiar with the training and education of this profession? If not, I really think you should be open to the possibility that they are potentially well educated to do what they do. They clearly perform a relatively intimate procedure upon patients of all ages. They are possibly well educated in oral pathology, anatomy, and dentist type pharmacology (antibiotics to anesthetics).

I encourage the OP to reach out to programs of interest with a well prepared description of your job duties. What programs think is what matters.

Perhaps you're thinking of a dental hygienist, not a dental assistant. Very different.

14 minutes ago, LKPAC said:

Perhaps you're thinking of a dental hygienist, not a dental assistant. Very different.

I agree, much different, dental assistant (from what I have seen and heard) do very basic things such as taking xrays, flossing, setting up equipment, looking at insurance, etc. Dental hygienist should could as HCE for PA in  my opinion.  

Archived