Scheduling

Just wanted to see how you guys felt about scheduling. Do you guys prefer working 5 8-hour shifts, 4 10-hour shifts, or 3 12-hour shifts? I could see why people would prefer 3 12-hour shifts, being able to have 4 days off at your leisure, but do you feel the shift is drawn out and mentally draining by the end of it? I could also see why some would prefer 5 8-hour shifts, as the shift would feel quicker and you still have time to do things with your day before/after the shift, in contrast to the 3 12's where work is the only thing you do when you are scheduled. 

My commute to work would be around 45 min to 1 hour and 15 min, so going back and forth from work and home would be a process as it is, so I guess 3 shifts/week would be more logical? How do you guys feel? For those that work 5 8's, do you still have time to do things before/after the shift? For those that do 3 12's, are you grateful that you have 4 days off per week?

I work 32-35hrs/ week, Monday - Thurs (8-3:30) and 1/2 day Friday (8-12) as I do not like working so I try to work as little as possible. I would not work any of those shifts you listed above so I am not of much help. 12 hr shifts suck for myself cause you get zero time with family and home/relax. If I had to pick I would do 4 10's. 

I work in critical care, and I am required to work twelve 12 hour shifts every 4 weeks. My shifts can be spread out on any days or nights, some weeks I may work 1 shift while other weeks I may work 5. I really like working 12 hours shifts and having more days off. I probably wouldn't get much done on the days I was working anyways, if I was to work 8 hour days, so I figure it's better to work more hours on the days I do work and get more days that I'm not working. I am required to work 2 out of every 4 weekends though, but my scheduler is good about honoring requests for certain weekends off and also writing the schedule so we do not need to use vacation days if we need a period of up to 5 days off in a row. We also have the option to work 24 hour shifts, I don't do them very often but some of my co workers work 24's exclusively. While it might be nice to work M-F 9-5 and have every weekend off, having 5-6 days off in a row and not using any vacation time is great. We even get about 7 weeks vacation a year which most of us will use to take an entire month off at a time.

2 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

I work 32-35hrs/ week, Monday - Thurs (8-3:30) and 1/2 day Friday (8-12) as I do not like working so I try to work as little as possible. I would not work any of those shifts you listed above so I am not of much help. 12 hr shifts suck for myself cause you get zero time with family and home/relax. If I had to pick I would do 4 10's. 

No greater truth has ever been spoken.  ?

3 12's is the ideal schedule for me. The worst part about working is usually getting up and commuting to work. I'd rather stay a few hours when I'm already at work and decrease the number of commuting days. Plus, I'm able to stack my shifts so I get a lot of time to travel without having to use PTO. If I didn't do 3 12's, my next vote would be 4 10's.

On 6/4/2018 at 10:29 AM, camoman1234 said:

So where does one get one of these 32-35 hour per week jobs ?

Archived