New grad Derm Offer

Hello everyone! I am a new graduate who has a derm offer. I would appreciate any feedback that I could get from you guys. 

I’ll be doing general derm at first with transitioning into cosmetics. 

Hours: Mon-Fri, 40 hours a week. No on-call. 

Salary: Around 72 K (4K first 3 months of training, 6.6K for the next 9 months), negotiation at end of 1st year with discussions on % of my collections for the next year. 

Medical / Dental: half is paid by employer and I’d end up paying 150 a month with 1500 deductible. Eligible after 60 days. 

Time off: 10 vacation days, 5 sick leave, 2 personal emergency days, 9 paid holidays per year and 5 days CME

Malpractice: Covered with tail, BUT tail coverage is null if employee were to leave. 

CME: up to 2000 dollars, starting after the frist year

Dues/license costs will be reimbursed no greater than 1500 dollar per term. 

Simple IRA plan, eligible after 90 days. 

• 3 weeks later...

More salary, 94K starting out and 20% of collections after your 250K is made, plus they need to be paying at least 80% of your medical insurance (I get mine paid for 100% and I work for a very small company, ~40 people in the entire system), more vacation/time off. Paid for tail insurance when you leave. 

Thanks for the input guys! I decided to turn down that offer. 

Currently negotiating on two different offers that are both 85 with a bonus structure with physicians that I really like. Both practice seems to offer a great training strategy for me to ease into Derm! I'll post the final contract offers once I get them. 

Hey! I'm piggybacking on this post, but after reading this I'm realizing the derm offer I have just received is insulting. Can someone reaffirm my thoughts?

new grad derm offer

- 70K for year 1, 80K year 2, bonus incentives year 3

- malpractice covered but no tail

-  holidays off, 7 days PTO/vacation year 1, 14 days year 2, etc

- ~$900/month health insurance for me + spouse, so ~$330/paycheck

- no CME $$$

setting: urban area, KY 

Is this offer even worth negotiating? 

45 minutes ago, millenialPA said:

Hey! I'm piggybacking on this post, but after reading this I'm realizing the derm offer I have just received is insulting. Can someone reaffirm my thoughts?

new grad derm offer

- no CME $$$

Oh my! This is not even worth discussing. There are so many negatives in this contract that means they do not care about you, they just want you to make them serious money. I would tell them this is the worst offer you have ever seen. Scary how terrible this is. 

15 hours ago, millenialPA said:

new grad derm offer

- no CME $$$

The offer is terrible, but derm is also hyper-competitive because it often pays REALLY well.  Some places try to take advantage of that by lowballing to get someone cheap, others just have lower introductory as they feel it is warranted as any new grad or new derm PA will require training.  Can it be worth taking a lower than average offer to get the experience to go find a WAY better job...maybe - but I personally wouldn't do it.  It hurts the profession as a whole because it perpetuates that we undervalue ourselves.

P.S. That offer is awful.  7 days PTO - minimum 14, better at 21.  No CME, ridiculous!  $70k is insulting - so this offer does not qualify for my statement above.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, ohiovolffemtp said:

Don't know anything about compensation for a PA in derm in KY, but I made $55/hour as 1099 contractor doing urgent care in the northern KY area - inside I-275.

Like others said, KY is one of if not the WORST place in the country for PAs due to practice laws. I'm starting an on call/per diem urgent care in Washington state...W2 $68.99 per hour.  No the cost of living in KY does not justify the pay difference.

Archived