2018-2019 Application Cycle

Oh and I forgot to say about the interview! So there were about 80 people in the session and they started us out in a big room and had us write a short essay (nothing crazy). Then they told us a bit about the program and had current students that started in August tell about their experience thus far and they answered most of our questions for us. Then they divided us up into small groups and we went to do interviews. I was interviewed by 3 members of staff and had 2 other applicants sitting next to me answering questions. There were like 6 questions total and whoever came up with their answer first would just go for it, kind of like popcorn style until all 3 of us answered the question. Then after that, we went to a classroom and they ran us through a PBL session so that we could see their teaching method in action which was very unique and fun and really stood out to me. Overall they are just really different from any other program I’ve seen.  When you go to the interview, keep in mind that they discourage competition and emphasize working as a team. Everything is pass/fail in the program and they don’t encourage students to compete with one another which is a huge relief. I enjoyed my interview session! I would say that because you’re interviewing with 2 other people that the interviewers don’t show much emotion or response to your answers so that all candidates feel like they were treated the same. For that reason I was scared because the interviewers seemed a little less personable and didn’t seem to give much of a response to my answers and so I felt like I didn’t know where I stood. But just realize that they have to be that way with the way it’s set up.

sorry for the long winded response but I hope it helps everyone with the next interview session! Be yourself and you will be fine! Good luck!

Edited by Hailstorm1023
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hailstorm1023 said:

Oh and I forgot to say about the interview! So there were about 80 people in the session and they started us out in a big room and had us write a short essay (nothing crazy). Then they told us a bit about the program and had current students that started in August tell about their experience thus far and they answered most of our questions for us. Then they divided us up into small groups and we went to do interviews. I was interviewed by 3 members of staff and had 2 other applicants sitting next to me answering questions. There were like 6 questions total and whoever came up with their answer first would just go for it, kind of like popcorn style until all 3 of us answered the question. Then after that, we went to a classroom and they ran us through a PBL session so that we could see their teaching method in action which was very unique and fun and really stood out to me. Overall they are just really different from any other program I’ve seen.  When you go to the interview, keep in mind that they discourage competition and emphasize working as a team. Everything is pass/fail in the program and they don’t encourage students to compete with one another which is a huge relief. I enjoyed my interview session! I would say that because you’re interviewing with 2 other people that the interviewers don’t show much emotion or response to your answers so that all candidates feel like they were treated the same. For that reason I was scared because the interviewers seemed a little less personable and didn’t seem to give much of a response to my answers and so I felt like I didn’t know where I stood. But just realize that they have to be that way with the way it’s set up.

sorry for the long winded response but I hope it helps everyone with the next interview session! Be yourself and you will be fine! Good luck!

Thank you!! That was super helpful and answered my question. I just  I wanted to make sure that they weren’t the kind of interviewers who were intimindating and aggressive during the group interview! Sounds like a great experience

Just now, sondrra said:

Thank you!! That was super helpful and answered my question. I just  I wanted to make sure that they weren’t the kind of interviewers who were intimindating and aggressive during the group interview! Sounds like a great experience

Good! The questions sometimes were a little difficult but really try to draw on your experiences in multiple areas of life to apply it to the questions. Like I said, I was a little intimidated just because they smiled/laughed/gave feedback very minimally and so I didn’t know if they liked me. But they give you tons of time to answer and there’s no rush to blurt something out. So just take your time and think for a few seconds before you answer!

On 10/15/2018 at 2:09 PM, sondrra said:

Congrats on the acceptance— that’s awesome! 

Mind sharing your stats and the interview format?  

Thank you!! 

Overall GPA: 3.44 

Science GPA: 3.29 

PCE: about 600 hours working in home as a patient care provider for a boy with severe CP 

HCE: volunteered in a hospital, worked for Gift of Life: Marrow Registry 

Volunteer: Probably about 200+ hours with various organizations 

My stats aren't that great and I was super nervous so I worked really hard on my personal statement and prepped for weeks prior to my interview and I think I did really well on it which led to my acceptance. 

So if you don't have great stats keep your head up, you can do it if you work hard! 

27 minutes ago, onedayPA7 said:

Thank you!! 

Overall GPA: 3.44 

Science GPA: 3.29 

PCE: about 600 hours working in home as a patient care provider for a boy with severe CP 

HCE: volunteered in a hospital, worked for Gift of Life: Marrow Registry 

Volunteer: Probably about 200+ hours with various organizations 

My stats aren't that great and I was super nervous so I worked really hard on my personal statement and prepped for weeks prior to my interview and I think I did really well on it which led to my acceptance. 

So if you don't have great stats keep your head up, you can do it if you work hard! 

I’m happy that it all worked out for you! Good luck with the program! 

My stats for reference were:

Undergrad: BS athletic training from SUNY Brockport

cGPA- 3.34

science GPA- 3.92

healthcare experience- 1200 hours as a student athletic trainer

volunteerism/service/shadowing- 50 hours shadowing a PA, ortho, and ortho surgeon. President of college sports med club.  Various volunteering for fundraisers and community service.

research- published thesis on total knee dislocations and rehabilitative protocol. 

1 hour ago, SponnyPA said:

My stats for reference were:

Undergrad: BS athletic training from SUNY Brockport

cGPA- 3.34

science GPA- 3.92

healthcare experience- 1200 hours as a student athletic trainer

volunteerism/service/shadowing- 50 hours shadowing a PA, ortho, and ortho surgeon. President of college sports med club.  Various volunteering for fundraisers and community service.

research- published thesis on total knee dislocations and rehabilitative protocol. 

awesome! I also received my athletic training degree! congrats on the acceptance 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kmp1226 said:

Does anyone know if we have yet to hear back between Monday and yesterday about the 9/29 interview, can we assume there's no good to come from that?? My anxiety is currently through the roof at the moment..

I am not sure, but based on the posts from the last few years it looks like acceptance calls went out over 2 days, and a couple days later rejections and waitlists we're emailed.