2018-2019 Application Cycle

On 6/19/2018 at 8:43 AM, maddkamp said:

Does anyone know if they send out emails for rejections? I received a confirmation email 6/4 and haven't heard anything else yet.

They do. I got an email from them on 6/8 telling me that "Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you further interview consideration."

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys! 

I am a first year student at Rush University, so I was in your boat this time last year. I saw some questions about the interview day.

The day will start with some information about Rush as a PA program. Later in the morning you'll break into different groups to do the MMI, traditional interview, the tour, etc. Don't worry too much about the MMI aspect, it was my favorite interview of all the programs I went to. If you're really nervous you can look up typical MMI questions pretty easily on Google. 

Let me know if you have any other questions about Rush, or the application process!

Leslie 

On 6/21/2018 at 6:39 PM, lfenio said:

Hi guys! 

I am a first year student at Rush University, so I was in your boat this time last year. I saw some questions about the interview day.

The day will start with some information about Rush as a PA program. Later in the morning you'll break into different groups to do the MMI, traditional interview, the tour, etc. Don't worry too much about the MMI aspect, it was my favorite interview of all the programs I went to. If you're really nervous you can look up typical MMI questions pretty easily on Google. 

Let me know if you have any other questions about Rush, or the application process!

Leslie 

Hey there! Hope school is going well for you! For some reason, I have it in my head that this interview requires you to take a Med Term test, as well as write an essay sometime during the day. Did I dream this or is this something that happens here? I obviously have really fun dreams lol

On 6/27/2018 at 2:37 PM, amaowens94 said:

Hey there! Hope school is going well for you! For some reason, I have it in my head that this interview requires you to take a Med Term test, as well as write an essay sometime during the day. Did I dream this or is this something that happens here? I obviously have really fun dreams lol

Hey, also a first year with Leslie above! You definitely don't have to take a med term test or write an essay unless they're drastically changing the interview format this year, but they would tell you ahead of time if you needed to. As far as we've heard its still the info session, tour, MMI, and individual interview.

Overall it's a very chill interview day, so for those of you who are coming through don't stress too much! Just put your best self forward and be genuine about who you are and what you're looking for in a program. When they ask you if you have any questions seriously ask them. You're trying to find the best fit for you just as much as they're trying to build a great class. Good luck!

Hey guys! I received an email from Rush on 5/18 saying my application was under review and that I should hear something back within three weeks. However, I'm going on 7 weeks now and haven't heard anything! Anyone else in the same boat and have you reached out to the program to verify your status? Trying to be as patient as possible but it is proving to be more challenging than expected! 

On 6/30/2018 at 4:04 PM, lpreston38 said:

Hey, also a first year with Leslie above! You definitely don't have to take a med term test or write an essay unless they're drastically changing the interview format this year, but they would tell you ahead of time if you needed to. As far as we've heard its still the info session, tour, MMI, and individual interview.

Overall it's a very chill interview day, so for those of you who are coming through don't stress too much! Just put your best self forward and be genuine about who you are and what you're looking for in a program. When they ask you if you have any questions seriously ask them. You're trying to find the best fit for you just as much as they're trying to build a great class. Good luck!

Hey thanks so much for answering! This is my first year applying to school and I have a few interviews coming up, and I'm wondering how long the typical interview portion is? Also, at this program, how many of the MMI stations there may be? Just trying to be proactive and prepare!

On 7/2/2018 at 4:05 PM, amaowens94 said:

Hey thanks so much for answering! This is my first year applying to school and I have a few interviews coming up, and I'm wondering how long the typical interview portion is? Also, at this program, how many of the MMI stations there may be? Just trying to be proactive and prepare!

Yeah for sure! Can't remember exactly, but the 1-on-1 interview is 10-15 minutes and there are 6-7 MMI stations. Don't stress too much, you're going to be given plenty of instruction and everybody is in the same boat.

The best word of advice I got when I was interviewing was that everybody who is interviewing is there because they fit the criteria - everyone is smart, everyone has patient care, and the majority have all done some insane amount of research or volunteering. You're here because they want to see that you're something more than what's on paper, so the interview is your chance to show that you bring some kind of intangible aspect that will set you apart from the rest of the candidates. Best of luck!

On 7/5/2018 at 7:30 PM, PAplease123 said:

I'm in the same boat, received the welcome letter 5/22 and haven't heard anything since! Did you end up reaching out to them? 

I have not but I may reach out this week! I will let you know what they say!

I am BEYOND excited!!! This is now my third cycle applying to PA programs and i'm thrilled that so early on in the cycle I was invited for an interview in August. 

My interview date is August 3rd - if anyone is interviewing on this date, i'd love to connect! 

On 6/27/2018 at 12:25 PM, KP5537 said:

Hello! Just received my Interview Waitlist email this morning. I was verified by the program on 5/11. Does anyone know how likely it is that they pull from the interview waitlist? Lol. Congrats to those of you who got interviews! 

Also waitlisted!

7 hours ago, sdbruin said:

Email confirmation received on 5/30...6 weeks with no response. For those on the same timeline,  did you call or email or just wait?

same boat as you, email confirmed 5/17. i’ve just been waiting and hoping that no news is good news! last year i got a rejection 8 days after the confirmation email from rush so i’m just happy i haven’t gotten that yet!

Hi guys! I submitted 7/9 and thought I'd get involved with the thread. Good luck to all!

Cumulative GPA: 3.73

Science GPA: 3.74

GRE: 321 & 4.5

PCE: 1100 as a PCT on a Med/Surg floor, I'll have 1500 more (at least) by June 2019. 

Shadowing: 135 hours with PAs and MDs mostly, with some experience in a hospice clinic observing chaplains, social workers and RNs. 

Other experience: I have research experience in biochemistry, epidemiology and medical humanities. I also have a handful of volunteer/leadership/teaching experiences, although not as extensive.

Hey everyone! I'm interviewing on 7/13. Good luck to everyone! This is my first year applying and very first interview, so I'm a bit nervous, especially since it seems like the bulk of the interview is MMI based. Any last tips on how best to prepare for it? I've noticed that most MMIs have a 2-minute portion where you read and consider the prompt, with 8 minutes to respond. Is that how this one is structured? That seems like a long time considering there are 6-7 stations, but then again, what do I know haha. Are all of the prompts professional situations, or are there standard interview questions during the MMI as well?

5 hours ago, amaowens94 said:

Hey everyone! I'm interviewing on 7/13. Good luck to everyone! This is my first year applying and very first interview, so I'm a bit nervous, especially since it seems like the bulk of the interview is MMI based. Any last tips on how best to prepare for it? I've noticed that most MMIs have a 2-minute portion where you read and consider the prompt, with 8 minutes to respond. Is that how this one is structured? That seems like a long time considering there are 6-7 stations, but then again, what do I know haha. Are all of the prompts professional situations, or are there standard interview questions during the MMI as well?

Hi! Before my MMI interview last year, I had my family ask me different MMI questions (you can find a bunch online) and I practiced answering out loud. The most important thing is showing your rationale-- your answer isn't as important as how you got to that answer if that makes sense. I can't remember exactly if it's 8 minutes to respond, could be a little shorter, but I think the entire thing took maybe an hour or an hour and a half. The standard interview questions are reserved for the one-on-one interview with a faculty member. The MMI is more about getting a feel for your personality, convictions, and critical thinking skills. I hope that helped!

42 minutes ago, lfenio said:

Hi! Before my MMI interview last year, I had my family ask me different MMI questions (you can find a bunch online) and I practiced answering out loud. The most important thing is showing your rationale-- your answer isn't as important as how you got to that answer if that makes sense. I can't remember exactly if it's 8 minutes to respond, could be a little shorter, but I think the entire thing took maybe an hour or an hour and a half. The standard interview questions are reserved for the one-on-one interview with a faculty member. The MMI is more about getting a feel for your personality, convictions, and critical thinking skills. I hope that helped!

Thanks so much!!

Archived