Johnson & Wales 2018-2019 application cycle

2 hours ago, conejo said:

I just received a package in the mail yesterday with a JWU folder with all info. $1,000 deposit due within 4 weeks of acceptance, a couple forms to be filled out and signed, a physical with vaccination info, and BLS certified verification. 

Thanks! I had a different address on my CASPA than I thought, so I did receive it as well!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/27/2018 at 9:58 AM, mvatican said:

Hello everyone! For those of you interviewed/going to interview, how long after you were verified did they reach out to you?

I was verified by CASPA in June, but I just submitted my application to JWU on 8/6.

Well I submitted 5/29 (or something like that) and was verified 6/12. I received an interview invite for 9/14 a few weeks ago. I believe they do interviews for a few months though. I think last year they had some in December or maybe even January. I spoke with Katie from admissions on the phone quite a bit and I think its like one interview session with 16 interviewees each month (at least that's how it sounded). If you didn't submit until 8/6 I would say just be patient. I think they already have a pretty full session for mid-October, but I'm sure there will be more interviews set up after that. Probably give it a few weeks and then if you don't hear anything, just shoot Katie an email. She's really nice and responded to my emails super quick via phone call and email and answered all of my questions. 

3 hours ago, Emgall0508 said:

Well I submitted 5/29 (or something like that) and was verified 6/12. I received an interview invite for 9/14 a few weeks ago. I believe they do interviews for a few months though. I think last year they had some in December or maybe even January. I spoke with Katie from admissions on the phone quite a bit and I think its like one interview session with 16 interviewees each month (at least that's how it sounded). If you didn't submit until 8/6 I would say just be patient. I think they already have a pretty full session for mid-October, but I'm sure there will be more interviews set up after that. Probably give it a few weeks and then if you don't hear anything, just shoot Katie an email. She's really nice and responded to my emails super quick via phone call and email and answered all of my questions. 

That is quite helpful. Thanks so much and GOOD LUCK!! 

2 hours ago, jrunchey said:

Has anyone received the login instructions for jwuLink after submitting the deposit? Also, does anyone know if a Facebook page exists for the new class?! ?

I have not received anything yet and haven’t heard anything about a fb page. Is that something the school creates for each class or an incoming student is expected to create?

19 hours ago, laurenm10 said:

any login instructions yet? I paid my deposit Friday and havent heard anything!

I paid my deposit a couple weeks ago and still haven’t heard anything either

just kidding! Got an email this morning. They said we’d hear more back just after the holidays as they’re still holding interviews but they did create a Facebook page for us to connect with each other ?

On 9/19/2018 at 4:47 PM, bylern said:

Does anyone have any info or thoughts on this program being on probation?  What do you know about it?

From what I understand it is more of an 'administrative' probation, not an actual issue with the program itself. The original founder and program director has since returned and is working on getting their accreditation back on track. From what I've seen, it is truly an impressive program and does a great job at preparing students for the PANCE and to be great PAs, so I don't forsee them having a problem with getting off of probation. 

Interviewed on Sept. 14 and received a phone call about an hour after the interview saying I was accepted! Really loved the faculty and atmosphere. Good luck to everyone interviewing soon! Don't stress, just be yourself. All of the faculty and people helping at the interview were so nice and personable. No need to be worried and stressed!

4 hours ago, jer15002 said:

From what I understand it is more of an 'administrative' probation, not an actual issue with the program itself. The original founder and program director has since returned and is working on getting their accreditation back on track. From what I've seen, it is truly an impressive program and does a great job at preparing students for the PANCE and to be great PAs, so I don't forsee them having a problem with getting off of probation. 

To clarify, there is a status called Accreditation-Administrative Probation.  It is a temporary status granted when a program has not complied with an administrative requirement, such as failure to pay fees or submit required reports. Accreditation-Probation, which JWU is on is a temporary status of accreditation limited to two years, granted when a program holding an accreditation status of accreditation-provisional or accreditation-continued does not meet the Standards and when the capability of the program to provide an acceptable educational experience for its students is threatened

You can find all of the citations this program received on the ARC-PA webpage.

http://www.arc-pa.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Accred-Actions-2016July-to-2018Ju-Prob-only-Working-8.15.pdf

I am still looking at this program, but it is not simply an administrative issue when there are 10 citations dealing with significant issues.  I just worry about getting accreditation-continuing when they are still provisional and on probation.  Can anyone who has interviewed tell us what they are being told?

On 9/19/2018 at 3:47 PM, bylern said:

Does anyone have any info or thoughts on this program being on probation?  What do you know about it?

Not something I’m concerned about. I researched the program and called admissions before applying. As mentioned, on interview day we were told the way the previous director presented their stats to the ARC-PA was not done to their standards. They have since brought the original director of the program back and are taking necessary measures to bring their status back to provisional.

The way I see it, there is no such thing as a perfect program. If a school’s accreditation status is very important to you, this school is not for you. If you value community (small class size), dedicated faculty, and learning with a holistic approach then you will very likely be happy here. Besides, this will not affect us as we will still be able to sit for the PANCE - We are matriculating before their next review in sept. 2019. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mvatican said:

I got an interview invitation today!

Friday Oct. 26th yay!!!

any tips from anyone who has had one already?

and how many other interviewees are there?

extremely laid back day. the faculty will stress this. some enthusiastic students on hand from the current class to give tours and answer questions.

total: 16 interviewees

expect a group discussion topic with half the other interviewees.

2 separate interviews. both with a faculty member and a current student/or one that has recently graduated. standard questions pertaining to your path choice and some resume/cv specific questions. comfortable, conversational environment.

a writing portion answering questions that gauge your thought process/approach to various situations. nothing cosmic or extremely deep.

just enjoy the atmosphere and take in the program and vibe.

On 10/11/2018 at 6:47 PM, PAstudent112 said:

Have all spots been filled yet? I decided to apply about a month ago and I'm wondering if it was even worth it!

I want to no say because there’s a total of is it 36 spots? I’m in the Facebook group and there’s currently only 12 members. There were 13 but someone must have dropped out due to acceptance into another program. So you probably have a decent shot. Wouldn’t hurt to call admissions though as well and ask. 

Archived