New Grad UC- Employer won’t email contract?

Hi all, I am a new grad PA-C in MI and just received an Urgent Care offer at the first clinic I interviewed with. Seems to not be great, but not bad and I’d appreciate any feedback you have for me moving forward! 

First off, I interviewed yesterday and received the offer today. $45 per hour was offered and I countered with $50. We settled on $47. 

Pay: $47 per hour, shifts are usually 3 12’s, holiday and OT pay is time and a half. Possibility of bonuses dependent on revenue were mentioned. Ability to pick up shifts at sister locations. (OT wouldn’t kick in if time was split between locations though) 

Malpractice: covered (possible tail, office manager said yes when asked, but didn’t sound confident) 

Health Insurance: 50/50 but find your own coverage

CME: 2k per year  

PTO: 2 weeks accrued per year

Training: 2 weeks, $30 per hour 

Pro’s: No non-compete clause, 1 year contract ( no penalty to leave early) office manager stated  “no one has ever done that besides one girl that went to work at a hospital and still picks up PRN shifts” Brand new office and they anticipate 4-8 patients per day until they build a pateint base. I would have an MA to complete front and back office duties. 

Con’s: I would be the only provider on site, collaborating physician would be available by phone/text and could run over to the office “if needed” (I wouldn’t count on this). They also said they “aren’t allowed” to send the contract via email. I can come into the office to review it or she can read me the highlights over the phone while I write them down?...I’d like to have it looked at by an attorney, is this reasonable? They’d also like me to make my decision ASAP. 

My background was in a busy surgical office and where we saw 60-80 patients a day. A lot of them I saw independently for post-op dressing changes and suture removal. Spoke with two of my preceptors that think the offer is reasonable and I could handle the amount patients on my own, without a physician on site. 

Thanks in advance for any insights/help you can provide! 

Wow... everything about this seems sketchy

Initially offering $45... office manager not sure about tail malpractice... find your own coverage health insurance... only a 2 week training... office manager stating no employee has ever left contract early... 4-8 patients per day... "an MA for back and front duties"... letting you be sole provider despite being a new grad... not being able to send you the contract... them rushing you on the decision... 

In all honesty this to me sounds like an office manager who is scheming...

Agree with NJPL1213. Too many red flags IMO.

4-8 patients a day? How does that even pay your salary, let alone the rent? And while I’m sure your preceptors know you well, certainly they don’t expect these 4-8 (or likely 48 patients at sometime soon) to all arrive needing dressing changes, staples removed, or other such tasks performed?

I’m in MI too. Long out of school. Send me a message. Maybe I can help connect you with other options.  

Thank you all for the advice, seems my hesitancy was justified. I will likely pass on this "opportunity."

I received another UC offer today that was better, but still not ideal as the SP will not be on site, nor will any other providers. $50 per hour to start (review in 6 months) with full benefits after 90 days. Malpractice w/tail coverage, PTO etc. 

I've been using Indeed.com mainly as well as other job search sites as I am new to the MI area and have few connections. Anyone have advice for job seeking as a new grad? Would it be unprofessional to stop by clinics personally? 

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived