New Grad Ortho Offer - 7on/7off schedule

I have an offer from an orthopedic surgery group with a 7 on/7off schedule, no set hours when I'm on and I"m completely off during the other 7 days. Is anyone familiar with such a schedule in surgery, and how does it work? I know ER/ICU/Hospitalist have this kind of set up, but have never heard of it in surgery. Other than the schedule, the offer is: 

salary: $91,500

PTO: 24 days

CME:  additional 5 days, $2000 for CME, $1500 for membership/dues

$600/annually for cell phone stipend 

I'm still looking into the benefits and all. My main concern is the odd schedule in surgery. 

Thank you in advance for any advice/input!

1 minute ago, jeepgirl said:

Were you given an average of how many hours you can expect to work each day?

Not really. When I asked, what I got was "it depends on the surgeon that is on call the week I am on, you can be there for 12 hours or 8 hours." I'll be working with 7 surgeons, each of them take turns taking call for a week at a time, so I would be working with the surgeon that is on call.  I do know they don't have any surgeries on weekends, so Sat & Sun would be more of rounding and just taking calls. 

1 minute ago, jeepgirl said:

Check the AAPA Salary report, but the salary seems low for ortho especially if you will spend time in the OR. 

Will you have productivity bonuses?

They didn't mention anything about any productivity bonuses. I did ask, but haven't heard back from them regarding it. 

On 5/30/2018 at 11:53 AM, KPA2017 said:

I have an offer from an orthopedic surgery group with a 7 on/7off schedule, no set hours when I'm on and I"m completely off during the other 7 days. Is anyone familiar with such a schedule in surgery, and how does it work? I know ER/ICU/Hospitalist have this kind of set up, but have never heard of it in surgery. Other than the schedule, the offer is: 

salary: $91,500

PTO: 24 days

CME:  additional 5 days, $2000 for CME, $1500 for membership/dues

$600/annually for cell phone stipend 

I'm still looking into the benefits and all. My main concern is the odd schedule in surgery. 

Thank you in advance for any advice/input!

I've never heard of this setup actually in practice for surgery nor ortho, but I've actually thought about this. As someone who is pretty much always "on," having the opportunity to be completely "off" is like a golden ticket.

Anyways, even if you end up working 12-hour days for each "on" week, this breaks down to 42-hour weeks, so pay actually seems good compared to a normal 40-hour workweek. This seems like a good offer overall, especially if no weekend surgery. Two weeks off per month plus 24 days PTO plus 5 CME days? Where can I sign up? Lol. 

Any word on 401k, health, boards/fees?

Also, will you be required to take all calls (floor, office, etc) during that time? Getting multiple phone calls each night for a week straight might weigh on you... 

Clinic also?

If you're expected to cover the above in addition to inpatient management and surgery, I would definitely ask for more.

Location? 

• 4 months later...

Archived