South College 2018-2019 Cycle

10 hours ago, mbrandt said:

Thank you so much, this helps a ton!

Another follow up question though...you said you were in contact with an admissions coordinator? I know we're not supposed to call or email, at least for the Knoxville campus that is. How did you contact them and would you recommend me attempting anyways? I'd love to have an update but I don't want to do something I'm not supposed to or bother anyone!

Not being allowed to contact them must being something new. But after I submitted my application I would intermittently email the admissions coordinator my patient care hours and what I was doing to strengthen my application. The response I would get was usually one word sentences.. I didn’t care because I was trying to solidify a spot. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/11/2019 at 9:58 PM, kms2019 said:

Sort of, someone called to clarify something on my transcript and then said they were going to push me through for an interview and I should expect to get an email in the next few days! And thank you so much, I am excited!

Do you mind sharing your stats?? Also congrats!!

On 2/12/2019 at 4:17 PM, Rwindle said:

Hey! I interviewed on 1/18/19 and was accepted! So the day starts around 8 am but you can show up 20-30 minutes early to mingle with first year students. You walk in and receive your name tag. They had about 30-32 students interviewing. They had coffee and  Einstein bagels for everyone to enjoy. At 8 everyone goes to a lecture room and all the students stand up and introduce themselves, say where they are from, where they went to school and what they majored in. After this, the faculty all introduce themselves and tell us where they came from and what they studied in. Then all the first year students introduce themself. At this point everyone breaks into smaller groupers. You will know your group by the letter on your name tag. For my interview day they had groups A-H. All those small groups tour the facility with the first year students. Next groups A-D went into the group interviews while groups E-H took a medical terminology quiz and completed a survey. I was told this quiz does not effect admission. After the groups switch. My group interview consisted of two other applicants and four staff memebers with one being the dean. They asked standard questions and just really wanted to hear honest answers. Some questions were directed at one person but others were asked and it was up to us to decide who answered first. I think it would be beneficial to speak up because it is easier speaking first than building off someone’s answers. Also I think it is important to give whoever is speaking your attention, even if it is another applicant talking while you are trying to form an answer in your head. This lasted around 45 minutes but feels much faster. Lastly they ask if you have any questions, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A QUESTION! Everyone then gathered back up and we had catered lunch and got to continue chatting with first year students. While we are eating all the professors gather to discuss the students. After lunch was done we meet in a room they called the holding tank. One by one, in no particular order, students are called back for the individual interview. I was 5th to last to be called. This isn’t really an interview or at least mine was not. They first asked about feedback and what could have made the day better. After they let you know if you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected. They will give you feedback about areas of concern or just anything that could make you more well rounded applicant. Also after you get this news you get to leave immediately! Best advice is just to realize that every single person there is nervous. Just try to let your personality come through because clearly you are qualified if you were invited to the interview. Good luck!! 

Wow thank you so so so much! This was very helpful!

On 2/14/2019 at 12:54 PM, cbrabsto said:

Do you mind sharing your stats?? Also congrats!!

Sure, and thank you!!

Undergrad GPA (I am graduating this spring): 3.72

Science GPA: 3.55

GRE: 155 V, 149 Q, 4 W

PCE: 612 hours (research assistant and CNA)

Volunteer: 636 hours 

Shadowing: 64 hours (orthopedic PA and cardio-thoracic PA)

(my stats aren't above and beyond what schools want, but I go to a competitive school so I think that helps)

Edited by kms2019

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I was accepted during the January interview and haven't really heard anything after paying my deposit, is anyone else in the same boat? I have also been trying to get in touch with someone from financial aid and have been unsuccessful with that so if anyone has a good contact please let me know! 

Also would anyone be interested in starting a new thread or group of some sort with others who have been accepted to the Knoxville campus?? 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, madeleine2525 said:

Hi everyone! I was accepted during the January interview and haven't really heard anything after paying my deposit, is anyone else in the same boat? I have also been trying to get in touch with someone from financial aid and have been unsuccessful with that so if anyone has a good contact please let me know! 

Also would anyone be interested in starting a new thread or group of some sort with others who have been accepted to the Knoxville campus?? 

I was accepted to the Knoxville campus in October and in the same boat. I have tried reaching out via email several times with no response and started getting worried. Maybe we will hear something once interviews are done. 

I am also interested in starting a group of accepted students!

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2019 at 4:16 PM, PAtobe33 said:

Hey everyone! Has anyone heard anything lately? Thanks in advance!

I just received an update today, they're waiting until Saturday before continuing reviews of applications to see how many of those who have been offered a seat accept it. It's up to faculty whether or not they'll accept people off the alternate list following Saturday or if they'll conduct more interviews.

Edited by mbrandt

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 12:57 AM, Tommy347 said:

Hey there! Just wanted to see if anyone had heard anything else??? I thought South interviewed January-May, once a month, so just wanted to see if anyone heard anything about March? Thanks in advance!!

I submitted my app in October and just got an interview offer today for April!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AmbDav said:

I submitted my app in October and just got an interview offer today for April!

Congratulations and good luck!!!

If you don't mind me asking, was this for the Knoxville Campus? Also, did you/were you able to keep in touch with any of the admissions officers via email for that campus if it was?

On 3/11/2019 at 2:46 PM, mbrandt said:

If you don't mind me asking, was this for the Knoxville Campus? Also, did you/were you able to keep in touch with any of the admissions officers via email for that campus if it was?

Thanks!

Yes it is for Knoxville Campus. The Director of PA Admissions is the one that emailed me my interview offer. I simply accepted it and thanked her and that was all the further we corresponded. Sorry!

On 3/11/2019 at 2:46 PM, mbrandt said:

You can email updates for Knoxville campus to pa_program@southcollegetn.edu which is what I've been doing with updates in hours and things like that. 

On 2/26/2019 at 6:47 AM, cross22 said:

I was accepted to the Knoxville campus in October and in the same boat. I have tried reaching out via email several times with no response and started getting worried. Maybe we will hear something once interviews are done. 

I am also interested in starting a group of accepted students!

I've been accepted for this fall at Knoxville as well! It is a little hard to get ahold of someone. If you have already submitted your vaccination record and health packet from your acceptance packet you should be good to go.  They will reach out to everyone in June with your background check information and for financial aid so make sure you fill out your fafsa before then. We should totally start a group! 🙂 

5 hours ago, e46PA said:

I remember one of the 1st year students was saying there is a FB group, or that they would put one together for incoming students to connect. I was not able to find it when I looked. Has anyone else seen something like this?

I received an email back in January saying they would make a Facebook group "in the next few weeks". So, I'm sure they'll get around to it soon!

• Like 2