South College 2018-2019 Cycle

On 1/23/2019 at 4:34 PM, mbrandt said:

My supplemental application was verified on 10/28 from Knoxville otherwise I have not heard back from them. My supplemental application for Nashville and Atlanta were verified on 1/7 and I Garrett Bruner talked to me on the phone on 1/9 about the competitiveness of my Nashville application and I've emailed him since to see if there are updates (which I figured not since I hadn't received an email) and there weren't any. I'm hoping to hear back soon but if anyone applied around those dates know that you aren't the only ones anxious and waiting! Is there anyone else that has applied around those times and received an interview yet?

I applied to both Nashville and Atlanta around the same time and have not yet heard anything back from either. I spoke with Garrett (Nashville) and he said that my application has not yet gone for holistic review. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 3:43 PM, Biaboyd345 said:

I applied to both Nashville and Atlanta around the same time and have not yet heard anything back from either. I spoke with Garrett (Nashville) and he said that my application has not yet gone for holistic review. 

Hey, where did you find Garrett's contact info? I didn't see it on the website!

2 hours ago, cmready97 said:

Hey, where did you find Garrett's contact info? I didn't see it on the website!

So I actually just did the "contact us" option initially on the website to get more info and he emailed me and then later he emailed me to let me know my application and supplemental items were received. That's when he gave me the option to contact him to talk about my application if I wanted. I'm sorry I don't know if I'm allowed to post an email or not on here otherwise I would! 

Edited by mbrandt

1 hour ago, mbrandt said:

So I actually just did the "contact us" option initially on the website to get more info and he emailed me and then later he emailed me to let me know my application and supplemental items were received. That's when he gave me the option to contact him to talk about my application if I wanted. I'm sorry I don't know if I'm allowed to post an email or not on here otherwise I would! 

Thank you!

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I’m a current south college pa clinical student set to graduate in December so I’m familiar with most aspects of applications and student life and studying, etc.. I know there are a lot of questions and sometimes it’s hard to get a straight answer, so feel free to message me or reply to this if you have any questions. Good luck and I wish you all the best. 

36 minutes ago, Mnd345 said:

Hi everyone, I’m a current south college pa clinical student set to graduate in December so I’m familiar with most aspects of applications and student life and studying, etc.. I know there are a lot of questions and sometimes it’s hard to get a straight answer, so feel free to message me or reply to this if you have any questions. Good luck and I wish you all the best. 

Hi, I have a few questions! 

What are the most common/best clinical hospitals to be placed at in Knoxville?

Also, about how long between your application being verified did you receive an interview invite when you applied, and about what time during the application cycle did you apply? 

What does your clinical rotation schedule look like and do you have breaks during that schedule at all or between rotations?

Thanks for your help!!

4 hours ago, mbrandt said:

Hi, I have a few questions! 

What are the most common/best clinical hospitals to be placed at in Knoxville?

Also, about how long between your application being verified did you receive an interview invite when you applied, and about what time during the application cycle did you apply? 

What does your clinical rotation schedule look like and do you have breaks during that schedule at all or between rotations?

Thanks for your help!!

Hey! Clinically the best learning environments in Knoxville are UT hospital, Fort Sanders and LeConte Medical Center. A lot of my classmates are placed in one of these places. What happens a lot is we rotate with a medical group who works in many hospitals in the area. That gives the student a chance to experience multiple hospitals. You can also request your rotations if you want to be in a certain place or with a certain provider.

I applied in October and received an invite for the February interview. I was in constant contact with the admissions coordinator though. Mine was a fast turn around. Don’t let my turnaround be a disappointment if yours is longer. I know many who applied in August and got an invite for April. It’s hard to rationalize... I know. I still don’t understand the order they invite students. 

Your clinical rotation schedule is January- Thanksgiving, no breaks unfortunately. Each rotation is 6 weeks in length. For 5 weeks and 3 days you’re in clinic, and then the Thursday and Friday of the 6th week you’re taking EOR exams. Your next rotation starts 2 days later on the following Monday. After thanksgiving you come back to school for a clinical summative review and take a few more tests.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PAtobe33 said:

Congrats, how awesome! Did you just receive it today? Good luck:)

Sort of, someone called to clarify something on my transcript and then said they were going to push me through for an interview and I should expect to get an email in the next few days! And thank you so much, I am excited!

Edited by kms2019
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Mnd345 said:

Hey! Clinically the best learning environments in Knoxville are UT hospital, Fort Sanders and LeConte Medical Center. A lot of my classmates are placed in one of these places. What happens a lot is we rotate with a medical group who works in many hospitals in the area. That gives the student a chance to experience multiple hospitals. You can also request your rotations if you want to be in a certain place or with a certain provider.

I applied in October and received an invite for the February interview. I was in constant contact with the admissions coordinator though. Mine was a fast turn around. Don’t let my turnaround be a disappointment if yours is longer. I know many who applied in August and got an invite for April. It’s hard to rationalize... I know. I still don’t understand the order they invite students. 

Your clinical rotation schedule is January- Thanksgiving, no breaks unfortunately. Each rotation is 6 weeks in length. For 5 weeks and 3 days you’re in clinic, and then the Thursday and Friday of the 6th week you’re taking EOR exams. Your next rotation starts 2 days later on the following Monday. After thanksgiving you come back to school for a clinical summative review and take a few more tests.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much, this helps a ton!

Another follow up question though...you said you were in contact with an admissions coordinator? I know we're not supposed to call or email, at least for the Knoxville campus that is. How did you contact them and would you recommend me attempting anyways? I'd love to have an update but I don't want to do something I'm not supposed to or bother anyone!

Edited by mbrandt

19 hours ago, kms2019 said:

Would anyone who has already interviewed mind sharing how the process works? How is the agenda set up?

Hey! I interviewed on 1/18/19 and was accepted! So the day starts around 8 am but you can show up 20-30 minutes early to mingle with first year students. You walk in and receive your name tag. They had about 30-32 students interviewing. They had coffee and  Einstein bagels for everyone to enjoy. At 8 everyone goes to a lecture room and all the students stand up and introduce themselves, say where they are from, where they went to school and what they majored in. After this, the faculty all introduce themselves and tell us where they came from and what they studied in. Then all the first year students introduce themself. At this point everyone breaks into smaller groupers. You will know your group by the letter on your name tag. For my interview day they had groups A-H. All those small groups tour the facility with the first year students. Next groups A-D went into the group interviews while groups E-H took a medical terminology quiz and completed a survey. I was told this quiz does not effect admission. After the groups switch. My group interview consisted of two other applicants and four staff memebers with one being the dean. They asked standard questions and just really wanted to hear honest answers. Some questions were directed at one person but others were asked and it was up to us to decide who answered first. I think it would be beneficial to speak up because it is easier speaking first than building off someone’s answers. Also I think it is important to give whoever is speaking your attention, even if it is another applicant talking while you are trying to form an answer in your head. This lasted around 45 minutes but feels much faster. Lastly they ask if you have any questions, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A QUESTION! Everyone then gathered back up and we had catered lunch and got to continue chatting with first year students. While we are eating all the professors gather to discuss the students. After lunch was done we meet in a room they called the holding tank. One by one, in no particular order, students are called back for the individual interview. I was 5th to last to be called. This isn’t really an interview or at least mine was not. They first asked about feedback and what could have made the day better. After they let you know if you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected. They will give you feedback about areas of concern or just anything that could make you more well rounded applicant. Also after you get this news you get to leave immediately! Best advice is just to realize that every single person there is nervous. Just try to let your personality come through because clearly you are qualified if you were invited to the interview. Good luck!! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3