Job offer questions (allergy/asthma), new grad.

Hi everyone

I have an offer I really like on the table, but there are a few things in the contract which confuse me.

1. There is an "audit responsibility" clause, saying if an audit/claim is made by a third-party (BCBS, Medicaid, Medicare) I am personally responsible for the reimbursement disallowed plus for any services incident...Is this basically just saying I'd be personally responsible for any medicare/Medicaid/insurance fraud?

2. I'd bill under a "group provider number" unless the third-party payer doesn't accept a group number, then I'd use my own NPI. What's the drawback to this? Should I just request to always bill under my own NPI?

3. Tail coverage is not offered, so I asked about occurrence-based insurance. I'm not too worried in this specialty about being sued, but it'd be nice. If I terminate the contract I'd have to purchase 3 years of tail coverage.

4. I'm being paid at the 25th percentile for the specialty with the current offer. Some say negotiate, my parents are very against me negotiating. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but the offer can't be withdrawn if I negotiate, right? I really like this job and physician.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about 1 & 2, hope others can chime in. As far as tail, unfortunately a lot of jobs are like this. You should always try to negotiate! There's no harm in trying to get more money, it's expected. If they withdraw your offer because you're looking for a few grand more, it's a bullet dodged. You would not want to work in a place like that.

The offer can always be rescinded.  There's a few threads around this forum of just that happening.  I personally believe an employer should expect that you attempt to negotiate, but you have to do it realistically (i.e if they offer 80, don't counter with 120 because you aren't even in the same ballpark).

Archived