Hello, fellow pre-PAs.

I have chosen human physiology as my undergrad with a minor in Spanish.

What do you think of this major in regards to applying for PA school?

Is anyone here pursuing the same degree?

My top program choice is the Oregon Health and Science University. 

My goal is to become an Orthopedic surgery PA.

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

1 hour ago, DuckPA said:

Hello, fellow pre-PAs.

I have chosen human physiology as my undergrad with a minor in Spanish.

What do you think of this major in regards to applying for PA school?

Is anyone here pursuing the same degree?

My top program choice is the Oregon Health and Science University. 

My goal is to become an Orthopedic surgery PA.

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Where are you in the process? Are you just starting college?

In general, programs with accept applicants with any degree as long you finish the prereq with a decent grade. Obviously, you will have an advantage in anatomy. But don't neglect biochemistry, taking this recommended course will open doors to many more others schools in case you don't get your first choice. 

metroT thanks for your response.

I have just begun my undergrad prerequisites, one semester completed 12cr. 4.0 GPA.

Unfortunately, I have to transfer to another institution and I am in the process of packing and registering for the summer term.

Doing my first 2 years at a CC to save money,  then transferring to the U of O as a junior.

I will take this:

CH 360. Physiological Biochemistry. 4 Credits.

For preprofessional health science students. Topics include protein structure and function, enzyme mechanisms, central metabolism and bioenergetics, integration and regulation of metabolism by hormone action. 

Edited by DuckPA
spelling errors

My degree in undergrad was in Spanish it provided many indirect benefits for me as far as getting in to PA school. I was able to offer up my Spanish skills as an interpreter and go on multiple medical mission trips for free through the local church. While no school I interviewed at asked me about academics, every single one of them wanted to know about my medical mission work. 

I know that your question was regarding the major but I guess I am saying don't neglect that minor. It could really benefit you. 

53 minutes ago, mooredc said:

My degree in undergrad was in Spanish it provided many indirect benefits for me as far as getting in to PA school. I was able to offer up my Spanish skills as an interpreter and go on multiple medical mission trips for free through the local church. While no school I interviewed at asked me about academics, every single one of them wanted to know about my medical mission work. 

I know that your question was regarding the major but I guess I am saying don't neglect that minor. It could really benefit 

Knowing Spanish will also be a big advantage to you when you try to get a job as a PA. However, I think medical providers needs to get special training in order to legally provide medical interpretation a patient. 

mooredc- I appreciate your response.  

Medical missions are my goal as well. 

I taught English in Brasil, living there for nearly 4 years and I enjoyed living in another culture and it inspired me to pursue becoming a PA.  My Portuguese is ok, however, Spanish would seem more relevant to working in the states.

The U of O offers exchange opportunities through their language dept. if possible I'd like to combine an immersion and medical/healthcare volunteer trip to a Spanish speaking nation.. 

20 minutes ago, DuckPA said:

mooredc- I appreciate your response.  

Medical missions are my goal as well. 

I taught English in Brasil, living there for nearly 4 years and I enjoyed living in another culture and it inspired me to pursue becoming a PA.  My Portuguese is ok, however, Spanish would seem more relevant to working in the states.

The U of O offers exchange opportunities through their language dept. if possible I'd like to combine an immersion and medical/healthcare volunteer trip to a Spanish speaking nation.. 

There are some schools (like USC) that require 2 semesters of college Spanish as a prereq. I think having Spanish in your back pocket is extremely valuable compared to a BS in any degree. You're going to see a lot more job opportunities being multilingual in Spanish and Portuguese.