Hi everyone!  My name is Sandi and I’m a current PA student at EVMS (class of 2021).  I’ll be helping out on one of the interview days.  Let me know if you have any questions about the program minus interview tips (be yourself) and secret stuff (we don’t really have any secrets).  Good luck everyone!!!

• Like 7

No, sorry, they have not told us what day the interview invites go out.  P.S.  They tell us nothing.  If you’re going off trends:  I got my interview invite 6/4/18, interviewed Friday morning on  7/13/18, and received an acceptance email 7/20/18.  

7 hours ago, Bonist55 said:

Hi everyone!  My name is Sandi and I’m a current PA student at EVMS (class of 2021).  I’ll be helping out on one of the interview days.  Let me know if you have any questions about the program minus interview tips (be yourself) and secret stuff (we don’t really have any secrets).  Good luck everyone!!!

Hi Sandi,

Thanks for the offer!  I was able to attend an open house last fall and was very impressed with everyone I met and all that I heard.

Mike

9 hours ago, Bonist55 said:

Hi Sandi! Thank you for offering some insight. What does your typical day as a student look like? How many classes are there each day? I attended the information session about 3 years ago when I was a freshman in college and missed out on asking questions like this! I remember everyone saying how much they have to study outside of class, but not what their schedule looks like while on campus.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:52 AM, snalexander said:

Hi Sandi! Thank you for offering some insight. What does your typical day as a student look like? How many classes are there each day? I attended the information session about 3 years ago when I was a freshman in college and missed out on asking questions like this! I remember everyone saying how much they have to study outside of class, but not what their schedule looks like while on campus.

That’s a great question!  We have class M-F with variation in # of classes and time spent in class each semester.  1st semester was 7 classes (1 of those classes was online) and we went to class from 9 or 10 to 3 on M & W, 1-6 T & Th, and 9-12 on Friday.  Exams for semester 1 scheduled on T & Th’s only at 10am.  So if a Tuesday or Thursday comes up and you have no exam that day you get to sleep in, study, go to the beach, prepare for Anatomy Lab (which is every T& Th) whatever until 1pm.  

We only have 5 classes 2nd semester and it’s way more chill.  We have class M-F:  M 8-3, T 11-4 (we are scheduled to 4 but it’s group work at a pre-arranged time so you could potentially be done by like 2), W 10-3, Th 11-3, and F 8-2 or 4.  Lecture exams are on T & Th at 8am for 2nd semester and exams in the Sim center called the SCSIL (with standardized patients) are on Fridays or Wednesday.  We have a lot more variation in schedule times second semester due to all the different labs like skills, ultrasound, and assessment practice in SCSIL.

Reminder: 

This is what the class of 2021 schedule looks like.  There are a lot of changes being made to the schedule for the class of 2022 so I would recommend asking about those changes when you come for tours, interviews, etc.

Edited by Bonist55
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bonist55 said:

That’s a great question!  We have class M-F with variation in # of classes and time spent in class each semester.  1st semester was 7 classes (1 of those classes was online) and we went to class from 9 or 10 to 3 on M & W, 1-6 T & Th, and 9-12 on Friday.  Exams for semester 1 scheduled on T & Th’s only at 10am.  So if a Tuesday or Thursday comes up and you have no exam that day you get to sleep in, study, go to the beach, prepare for Anatomy Lab (which is every T& Th) whatever until 1pm.  

I’ll see if I can post a picture of our schedule 2nd semester.  We only have 5 classes 2nd semester and it’s way more chill.  We have class M-F:  M 8-3, T 11-4 (we are scheduled to 4 but it’s group work at a pre-arranged time so you could potentially be done by like 2), W 10-3, Th 11-3, and F 8-2 or 4.  Lecture exams are on T & Th at 8am for 2nd semester and exams in the Sim center called the SCSIL (with standardized patients) are on Fridays or Wednesday.  We have a lot more variation in schedule times second semester due to all the different labs like skills, ultrasound, and assessment practice in SCSIL.

766A53C6-E560-4756-9A83-9A9AC4596BA0.jpeg

Hi Sandi,

This is great information!  Thank you.  It sounds so much more manageable than hearing you're in class 8 - 5 five days /week.  I do have a few questions:

- What happens during Exam Review?  How often are exams?

- What is your school / life balance like?  I know there's a huge amount of material to learn, but I'm wondering if you're still able to find time for yourself.

- Do you have opportunities to work with real pts before the clinical year?

- What type of community events have you been doing?

- Are there Interprofessional Education opportunities?

Thank you!

Mike

14 minutes ago, sunrise230 said:

Hi Sandi,

This is great information!  Thank you.  It sounds so much more manageable than hearing you're in class 8 - 5 five days /week.  I do have a few questions:

- What happens during Exam Review?  How often are exams?

- What is your school / life balance like?  I know there's a huge amount of material to learn, but I'm wondering if you're still able to find time for yourself.

- Do you have opportunities to work with real pts before the clinical year?

- What type of community events have you been doing?

- Are there Interprofessional Education opportunities?

Thank you!

Mike

Exam reviews occur after exams (usually the next day that class is held).  All students with a specific grade or lower have to attend.  First semester exams were once a week.  This semester exams are about 2-3 times a week.

First semester there is no school/life balance.  It’s literally just school.  Second semester gets much better and you can find time for the gym, dinners out with friends, trips to the beach, playing sports during lunch break, etc.

You definitely get to work with real patients before your clinical year.  It’s likely you’ll never forget your first patient as a PA student.  You’ll work with that patient your entire first semester, you’ll likely make lots of mistakes, cut things you shouldn’t, and then you’ll have to say goodbye so they can be returned to their families.  I miss mine... Then you’ll work with Standardized patients every semester for the rest of didactic.

I volunteer at least once a month either through the school or church doing local outreach.  I just helped out at the CHKD walk/run for Kids, I’ve collected undies for homeless men & women, participated in the Donor Memorial, and I’m assisting during the interview days at EVMS.

There are tons of inter-professional opportunities at EVMS.  In anatomy lab, PA’s work with Surgical Assistants, Pathology Assistants, and Med students.  In another class you work with Med Masters students.  In Pathophysiology you learn with Pathology Assistant students.  In ultrasound you work with Med Masters and Med students.  You are constantly intermingling & you’ll love getting to interact with everyone.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bonist55 said:

Exam reviews occur after exams (usually the next day that class is held).  All students with a specific grade or lower have to attend.  First semester exams were once a week.  This semester exams are about 2-3 times a week.

First semester there is no school/life balance.  It’s literally just school.  Second semester gets much better and you can find time for the gym, dinners out with friends, trips to the beach, playing sports during lunch break, etc.

You definitely get to work with real patients before your clinical year.  It’s likely you’ll never forget your first patient as a PA student.  You’ll work with that patient your entire first semester, you’ll likely make lots of mistakes, cut things you shouldn’t, and then you’ll have to say goodbye so they can be returned to their families.  I miss mine... Then you’ll work with Standardized patients every semester for the rest of didactic.

I volunteer at least once a month either through the school or church doing local outreach.  I just helped out at the CHKD walk/run for Kids, I’ve collected undies for homeless men & women, participated in the Donor Memorial, and I’m assisting during the interview days at EVMS.

There are tons of inter-professional opportunities at EVMS.  In anatomy lab, PA’s work with Surgical Assistants, Pathology Assistants, and Med students.  In another class you work with Med Masters students.  In Pathophysiology you learn with Pathology Assistant students.  In ultrasound you work with Med Masters and Med students.  You are constantly intermingling & you’ll love getting to interact with everyone.  

Thank you for all the great information!

2 hours ago, Bonist55 said:

Wow! This information is great. EVMS is my number 1 choice and this insight just confirmed my passion for EVMS and what they are all about.  

Last year, I received the rejection letter email from EVMS the third Tuesday of June, and I heard that interview invites were still going out as late as the end of the second week of June.  So even if you don't hear anything next week, be patient.  The interview invites go out in several waves since so many students that are invited early on pass on the invite and/or committed to other programs.  Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

I looked back at when I got my rejection last cycle I applied and it was June 24th! So do not lose hope we are in for a roller coaster ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Anyone receive an invite yet for this cycle? Pretty sure last year they went out at the end of this month, but maybe that was two cycles ago. 

1 minute ago, mrhandshake said:

Anyone receive an invite yet for this cycle? Pretty sure last year they went out at the end of this month, but maybe that was two cycles ago. 

That was 2 cycles ago. I was hoping they’d go out this week too but it looks like invites won’t go out until Monday or so. 

• Upvote 1

I’m betting on Tuesday. I looked through the forums and I saw a pattern with Tuesday’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Hopefully tomorrow we start hearing back! Regardless of what happens, we should all be proud of ourselves. Getting this far is an accomplishment in itself, as applying is such an arduous process. Good luck everyone, I hope to see you in July!

Edited by Mattmcg88
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, CCJ23 said:

Who’s heard something yet?! Ughhhh why do I keep checking every 3 minutes?

Nothing yet. Me too 😞

I'm frightened and excited at the same time.