2018-2019 Application Cycle- UC Davis

12 hours ago, ashley15 said:

Anyone else feel kind of weird mentioning faculty/staff most looking forward to working with when we (I am assuming most of you feel the same way) don't know much about them? I read about them online but seems like I am just saying it because the prompt asks me to. I am debating just cutting down my CASPA essay and possibly adding in a few specifics about Davis itself.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Yes!!!   I feel that is a bit strange.  My plan is to stick with what the staff stated in the interview.  Stick with your CASPA personal statement and cut it down a bit.  

11 hours ago, ashley15 said:

Thank you both!

Yes.   Thank you both!!  Does anyone know if I input my planned classes for the spring and get accepted, are the classes then required to take?  The classes are not on the required list, just some additional science classes to show initiative.  

• Upvote 1

Congratulations to those getting interviews and moving on to supplemental apps too! My application was rejected without an interview. I would really like to get some feedback on my application but the email message states no such request would be granted. Has any reapplicant gotten feedback? Would my request be frowned upon and counted against me?

Thank you for reading and thank you for all the support and optimism shared by all!

On 11/2/2018 at 3:22 PM, Smartinez said:

I applied during the first week of July and I was invited for the interview on September 28 2018. I interviewed 10/16/18. I think  my personal statement  truely help me stand out as well as my recommendations. I talked about my background and the inequality of healthcare in my communities. Message me for further questions. 

Hey It would be great if you're willing to share your personal statement. If not that's totally fine too! But if you do, please let me know. It would be a great help ? 

For my statement of purpose- I personally cut the one from CASPA and tailored it to fit the prompt. I then took the personal things out of the CASPA and expanded on them to fit the personal statement portion. They are both clearly different. I wish they would have addressed this at the meeting. How long was everyone's resumes? Also, how long are your essays for the school of Nursing portion? 1500 words seems like a lot?

Did you guys mention staff? I feel like this is CASPA all over again and throwing a dart blind folded.

10 minutes ago, MATTHM1 said:

Hi guys!

I am also using my CASPA and tailoring to fit the prompt. I am elaborating on it. My statement will end up being over 2000, but less than 3000 words. My resume is one page because that is usually the best format. I think a 500 to a 1000 words for the nursing essays is appropriate. 

Someone mentioned in this forum that there is no need to mention staff.  

Can't wait to finish the last details on this application. Good luck and happy Thanksgiving!

On 11/12/2018 at 8:06 AM, JamesE said:

Yes!!!   I feel that is a bit strange.  My plan is to stick with what the staff stated in the interview.  Stick with your CASPA personal statement and cut it down a bit.  

In the instructions we were told not to upload transcripts/LOR's but after submitting I received the following email:

Thank you for submitting your application for admission to the M.H.S. in Physician Assistant Studies at the University of California, Davis.

You're almost there! 

Your application cannot be sent to the committee for review until we've received all of your materials, including your letters of recommendation, required test scores, and academic transcripts.

Visit your application status page to access your account and ensure all requirements have been submitted, and remember that uploads can take up to 24 hours to process. Make sure you upload them as soon as possible to avoid delaying the completion of your application.

Once your application has been completed, you will receive a confirmation email

Anybody receive their confirmation after submitting without transcripts like instructed?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, JamesE said:

I know at the interview the staff told us that we did not need to submit transcripts or LOR's.  they stated that they would use CASPA for this.  Have you called or emailed the school?  Let us know what you find out.

Yeah I read in two different places that we didn’t need to submit transcripts. I emailed them and will let you guys know once I receive a response. 

• Like 1

I submitted my application and have been checking on the status every day. It continues to show that my transcripts need to be uploaded. I knew from our instructions that this would be the case but I did the unthinkable and called because I wanted to make sure my application was considered complete and would be reviewed. The person I spoke to said “don’t worry about that.” Then I asked if I will see some sort of confirmation by the deadline (12/1) so I know my app is complete and she said “I don’t think so.”  Hmmmm...

10 hours ago, pinsky6 said:

Hello all, I am a bit confused by the “nursing essays” part of the application.  The only instruction I see regarding nursing essays is a 1500 character section noting past achievements, etc. Am I missing something else? Thanks in advance!

I belive that is the part where they ask for interest in scholarships and to provide essays?

Also, did anyone complete the resume section? Are we supposed to add "Special achievements" to our resume and list the same achievements in the "Noteworthy Achievements" section provided? 

Here’s their reply to my email:

Thank you for your email! Please disregard the automated email sent from Graduate Studies-- at this time, you are not required to submit official transcripts, as this will be done internally by our team.

Warm Regards,
Michelle Ho
The Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing Admissions Team 
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/nursing

Edited by cbaldwin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, HeyyEb said:

I belive that is the part where they ask for interest in scholarships and to provide essays?

11 hours ago, HeyyEb said:

Also, did anyone complete the resume section? Are we supposed to add "Special achievements" to our resume and list the same achievements in the "Noteworthy Achievements" section provided? 

I did not add "Special Achievements" to my resume but only to the "Noteworthy Achievements" I really don't know if I did that right.

I did find another 1500 essay question in the Nursing Section regarding core values: "Please explain, in 1500 characters or less, how you feel you exemplify the core values of the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing. Please provide specific examples of your educational, professional or volunteer accomplishments and experiences and describe how the examples demonstrate your commitment to one or more of the school's five core attributes."  

But when I read the directions from UC Davis PDF it does not state anything about this essay I found. So who knows. 

I just answered all and maybe that works? Thank you for the people who researched the transcripts. I was wondering the same thing!

Good luck all!

1 hour ago, ReadytoPA said:

I did not add "Special Achievements" to my resume but only to the "Noteworthy Achievements" I really don't know if I did that right.

I did find another 1500 essay question in the Nursing Section regarding core values: "Please explain, in 1500 characters or less, how you feel you exemplify the core values of the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing. Please provide specific examples of your educational, professional or volunteer accomplishments and experiences and describe how the examples demonstrate your commitment to one or more of the school's five core attributes."  

But when I read the directions from UC Davis PDF it does not state anything about this essay I found. So who knows. 

I just answered all and maybe that works? Thank you for the people who researched the transcripts. I was wondering the same thing!

Good luck all!

Yes I believe those are just scholarship essays which I was advised to apply for .

On 11/27/2018 at 2:00 PM, cbaldwin said:

Here’s their reply to my email:

Thank you for your email! Please disregard the automated email sent from Graduate Studies-- at this time, you are not required to submit official transcripts, as this will be done internally by our team.

Warm Regards,
Michelle Ho
The Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing Admissions Team 
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/nursing

Thank you for this!

Wassssup Everyone!

First off, THANK YOU for emailing admissions about the transcripts. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was VERY confused about that... I hope what admissions is saying is correct...because once submitted there is no going back. Guessing the BIG RED X's for the transcripts will disappear at some point???? I'd hate not being considered because of an online system glitch? Feel like if they know all of these issues are present....maybe this is just a formality Weeding out the people selected by other programs, late, or that don't submit period....(wishful thinking LOL).

For those asking questions about extra essays and awards/achievements:

I put my career awards on the CV/Resume

I put my educational awards/memberships in the "noteworthy" section

I did all three 1500 character essays because it never hurts? 

The spacing and indentation was hard to do... still came out kinda weird on the final review? It wouldn't let me indent the first line. Hope they are not format police:(

Crossing the fingers! We should definitely plan a celebration if we make it....Low Brau 2.0. Mood will be LIT..... LOL GOOD LUCK!

Edited by MATTHM1
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, MATTHM1 said:

Wassssup Everyone!

First off, THANK YOU for emailing admissions about the transcripts. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was VERY confused about that... I hope what admissions is saying is correct...because once submitted there is no going back. Guessing the BIG RED X's for the transcripts will disappear at some point???? I'd hate not being considered because of an online system glitch? Feel like if they know all of these issues are present....maybe this is just a formality Weeding out the people selected by other programs, late, or that don't submit period....(wishful thinking LOL).

For those asking questions about extra essays and awards/achievements:

I put my career awards on the CV/Resume

I put my educational awards/memberships in the "noteworthy" section

I did all three 1500 character essays because it never hurts? 

The spacing and indentation was hard to do... still came out kinda weird on the final review? It wouldn't let me indent the first line. Hope they are not format police:(

Crossing the fingers! We should definitely plan a celebration if we make it....Low Brau 2.0. Mood will be LIT..... LOL GOOD LUCK!

Got it thanks for that input!