2018-2019 Application Cycle- UC Davis

Got my 2nd INVITE! WOOOOT WOOT! 1st time & 1st school it IS POSSIBLE! For everyone still waiting... good luck! You got this! Those who didn't...please keep at it..it will happen! You make your dreams a reality! I can always be reached to see what I did for my CASPA application to include my little PA bible (an actual book) that gave me an edge. Stay HUNGRY!

• Like 1

I got my secondary invite a few hours ago and there are no words! Everyone I met during the interview was AMAZING and beyond qualified. I am so ecstatic to be invited for a secondary application! UC Davis is an amazing school and I really enjoyed the interactions with the current PAs and faculty. Wishing everyone the best of luck this cycle!! 

Edited by aberino

Question to those who received the supplemental. In my visit, a woman who was on the admissions team (forgetting her name) mentioned for the “statement of purpose” we should just use our CASPA essay and make it fit into the required length. Did other people hear this too? 

Im asking because the description of this question is very Davis specific and doesn’t seem like our Caspa essays would directly fit. 

Thanks! 

8 minutes ago, DP1316 said:

Question to those who received the supplemental. In my visit, a woman who was on the admissions team (forgetting her name) mentioned for the “statement of purpose” we should just use our CASPA essay and make it fit into the required length. Did other people hear this too? 

Im asking because the description of this question is very Davis specific and doesn’t seem like our Caspa essays would directly fit. 

Thanks! 

I heard the same thing. 

26 minutes ago, DP1316 said:

Thanks! 

Hi! Yes you heard right, she did say we can just use our Caspa essay for the statement of purpose portion

it may not directly fit but just so you know, it is okay to use that 

I agree with @aberino! Everyone I met at the interview were all really amazing and I’am so excited to have received an invite for the secondary application, especially since I thought I stumbled in my interview! However, that makes me wonder, did the admissions committee send secondary applications to everyone who got interviews? Or did they narrow down some? 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 5:01 PM, krsnkm said:

Is anyone willing to share any tips? I have been getting rejections left and right.. it's really discouraging.. any tips on resume/ways to improve would be very helpful!

Hi! I just want to say not to give up! It's more common than you think when it takes more than one try to get in, and the more you improve yourself and your application throughout the year, the higher the chance of getting in. I personally know a lot of people who got in their third or fourth try and it means nothing about them as a person, rather that it's just really competitive. Personally, I didn't get in my first cycle and got rejected left and right but as I got more PCE and improved my grades, this cycle I'm having a lot more luck getting interviews (and trust me, getting rejected is still a common thing now) 

I received a secondary as well!! So excited to proceed with the application process.  During my section/interview someone specifically asked if they will send secondary apps to everyone that was being interviewed. We got a solid response back stating NOT everyone who was interviewed will get a secondary application. So, they are narrowing it down slightly but I do not know by how much. Hope that answers some of your guys questions about that. Good luck everyone!! Very exciting!!

• Like 3

I interviewed in November and thought I did well but I did receive a denial email and will not be moving forward to do the secondary application. I was really discouraged but this morning I just got accepted to a different PA program so that was a relief! Stay strong fellas and don't give up hope, believe in yourself and if you really want to be a PA you will! Getting denied from a program is just another way for you to grow, and don't lose hope if you are denied because you can still get accepted to a different program as in my case. Good luck! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gxb510 said:

I interviewed in November and thought I did well but I did receive a denial email and will not be moving forward to do the secondary application. I was really discouraged but this morning I just got accepted to a different PA program so that was a relief! Stay strong fellas and don't give up hope, believe in yourself and if you really want to be a PA you will! Getting denied from a program is just another way for you to grow, and don't lose hope if you are denied because you can still get accepted to a different program as in my case. Good luck! 

Thank you and Congrats!

Hi! Congrats to everyone who got selected to the next process!

I have a question regarding the "statement of purpose" is everyone submitting their Personal Statement from CASPA for this portion?

I know that is what they said during the interview, but it seems to not fit what that question is asking.

Edited by Sina4ali

39 minutes ago, Sina4ali said:

Hi! Congrats to everyone who got selected to the next process!

I have a question regarding the "statement of purpose" is everyone submitting their Personal Statement from CASPA for this portion?

I know that is what they said during the interview, but it seems to not fit what that question is asking.

I'm really curious too.

The lady said "we highly encourage you to copy and paste your CASPA."

16 minutes ago, LeBronisGOAT said:

I'm really curious too.

The lady said "we highly encourage you to copy and paste your CASPA."

I used most of my original statement from Caspa but added the portion that they asked you to address (what faculty/staff are you most looking forward to working with).  The personal history/diversity statement allows you to expand on one or two of the topics they mentioned in the rubric.  This should go deeper than the personal statement.

• Like 1

Anyone else feel kind of weird mentioning faculty/staff most looking forward to working with when we (I am assuming most of you feel the same way) don't know much about them? I read about them online but seems like I am just saying it because the prompt asks me to. I am debating just cutting down my CASPA essay and possibly adding in a few specifics about Davis itself.

Anyone else feel the same way?

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 6:27 PM, lolgodzilla said:

Hi! I just want to say not to give up! It's more common than you think when it takes more than one try to get in, and the more you improve yourself and your application throughout the year, the higher the chance of getting in. I personally know a lot of people who got in their third or fourth try and it means nothing about them as a person, rather that it's just really competitive. Personally, I didn't get in my first cycle and got rejected left and right but as I got more PCE and improved my grades, this cycle I'm having a lot more luck getting interviews (and trust me, getting rejected is still a common thing now) 

I emailed the program to confirm that we can use our CASPA esssy and they said yes. And said we do not need to mention specific faculty. Hope that helps! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, ashley15 said:

Anyone else feel kind of weird mentioning faculty/staff most looking forward to working with when we (I am assuming most of you feel the same way) don't know much about them? I read about them online but seems like I am just saying it because the prompt asks me to. I am debating just cutting down my CASPA essay and possibly adding in a few specifics about Davis itself.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Definitely. From what I know about graduate schools is that you choose a faculty member to work under during your entire time there. However, I don’t think that applies to PA programs so I wasn’t going to mention any faculty but should probably follow up with the program about this.

25 minutes ago, DP1316 said:

I emailed the program to confirm that we can use our CASPA esssy and they said yes. And said we do not need to mention specific faculty. Hope that helps! 

20 minutes ago, HeyyEb said:

Definitely. From what I know about graduate schools is that you choose a faculty member to work under during your entire time there. However, I don’t think that applies to PA programs so I wasn’t going to mention any faculty but should probably follow up with the program about this.

Thank you both!

Edited by ashley15