FSU application cycle 2018-2019

I asked about the check status feature and she told me that it was only for those that have been accepted. She disclosed that my application is still under review.

As a Class of 2020 student the check admission feature was vital in keeping track of our online admission acceptance checklist before we started class this fall. However, I remember that during this time last year when I was waiting to hear about interviews this feature possessed no information for me, despite that fact that I checked it fairly often in anticipation!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hey everyone! 

So, I just got an interview invite today and I’m so excited!!!! The interview format seems kind of intimidating though...definitely not what I’m used to from my other interviews so far! Can a current FSU PA student give me some insight, not the actual questions, but just insight as to what subjects I should focus on and get comfortable with? ? Thanks so much! ??

6 hours ago, Allybo13 said:

Hey everyone! 

So, I just got an interview invite today and I’m so excited!!!! The interview format seems kind of intimidating though...definitely not what I’m used to from my other interviews so far! Can a current FSU PA student give me some insight, not the actual questions, but just insight as to what subjects I should focus on and get comfortable with? ? Thanks so much! ??

Congratulations on your interview! I remember the excitement I had this time last year when I received mine!

The interview is menacing and honestly it’s almost impossible to prepare for. Obviously it’s important to be familiar with the history of PAs, the FSU PA program, and why you want to be a PA. The beauty of the MMI format is that there are no wrong answers as long as you can back them up. I read “How to ace the Physician Assistant Interview” by Andrew Rodican to prepare.

I look forward to seeing everyone during your interviews in October! 

• Upvote 1

Congratulations to everyone who has received an interview offer so far.   The first round of invites have just begun to go out so if you haven't heard anything yet don't get worked up over it.  The first interview is Oct 1st and the last on is December 10th, so you still have plenty of opportunity. 

For those asking advice on how to prepare for the MMI, you just need to know WHY you want to be a PA and WHY you want to go to FSU.  Understand the mission of the college and the PA program.  Know how it is unique in contrast to many of the other programs.  As FISHM stated, there is no wrong answer to any of the questions, just be able to argue your stance.  I personally didn't rehearse any interview questions to be genuine and avoid sounded scripted.  Just be honest in your answers and be able to back up your stance.  Don't try to say what you think they want you to say, because you will most likely be wrong.  The whole point of this is to get to know you as an individual, so show them who you really are!  Try to relax as much as you can, trust me I know it's tough.   All of the interviews are on Monday.  If possible arrive to Tallahassee (if traveling) Friday or Saturday and spend the weekend here.  Go out and explore the city and make sure it's somewhere you want to be for 15 months (at least).  When my class went through this process, we went in completely blind as we are the first class at FSU.  We had no resources to consult and we did just fine.  You will do fine, it's not meant to be a high stress environment.  Also, remember you are interviewing them as much as they are you.  Ask them questions about the program, especially the clinical year, and all of the logistics.  Make sure the program is a fit for you as much as they are seeing if you are a fit for the program.  Good luck!  Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 3

Another question for those who are currently FSU PA students :). What do you like best about the FSU PA program?  The main thing I love about this program is the focus on assisting the community as whole by providing medical care to underserved populations. It appeals to the part of me that pursued an undergrad education in public health! This kind of leads me into my other questions. Where do you guys do your clinicals? Have you received training in areas with underserved populations? What about the didactic curriculum? It doesn't seem like FSU tries to pile quite so much on you every semester compared to other programs I have applied too. Any and all answers are greatly appreciated! (:

24 minutes ago, Allybo13 said:

Another question for those who are currently FSU PA students :). What do you like best about the FSU PA program?  The main thing I love about this program is the focus on assisting the community as whole by providing medical care to underserved populations. It appeals to the part of me that pursued an undergrad education in public health! This kind of leads me into my other questions. Where do you guys do your clinicals? Have you received training in areas with underserved populations? What about the didactic curriculum? It doesn't seem like FSU tries to pile quite so much on you every semester compared to other programs I have applied too. Any and all answers are greatly appreciated! ?

I am currently only about a month into the program but I will do my best to answer what I can. TomB may have better insight to some of your questions.

I do love the mission, but what I like best about the program are the resources and faculty that are there to help you succeed. There are a plethora of faculty members including a psychologist just for the PA program who are there to help any students who may be struggling in any way. Also, the college of medicine and cadaver lab are open 24/7 to assist in your studies. All of our textbooks are in an online library and accessible always. Plus, we all received a laptop to take notes on during class.

Clinicals are done at six regional sites in Florida including Pensacola, Tallahassee, Orlando, Sarasota, Fort Pierce, and Daytona Beach. Students are assigned a regional site and complete all of their rotations in that area. Your elective rotations may possibly be done elsewhere, but I’m not 100% on that. 

FSU does put a huge emphasis on serving the underserved populations. I know the medical students go on a trip to an underserved area, but I’m not sure if this has been integrated to include PAs yet.

The didactic curriculum is tough but manageable. At my interview the director stated that FSU’s curriculum may be one of the most difficult in Florida. However, exams are not often stacked on the same day, there are plenty of resources to help you, and if you made it this far then you can make it through. The averages of the few exams we’ve had so far have been in the upper 80s to lower 90%. The class before us have also all done well in their courses.

Let me know if you have any other questions; I’ll answer what I can. I went to several other interviews but I felt FSU was by far the best for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allybo13 said:

FISHM, 

Thankyou so much for your reply! It was very helpful! When you say that the college of medicin is open 24/7, what do you mean by that? Is there a library in there that’s open 24/7 or other resources other than the cadaver lab you can access 24/7?  I’m very curious! 

As a student you have access to the building 24/7, including the learning communities (LCs) many students study at. These LCs include study rooms, a fridge, couches, bathrooms, a shower, and a microwave and stove. I know the library is only staffed M-F but you may still be able to get in. As far as I know, most students don’t study in the library anyway as it is mainly a bunch of computers. I personally have only been in there once during orientation. All textbooks are accessible online at your leisure.

• Upvote 1

As a student you have access to the building 24/7 including the library. I know a few students who probably pay rent there (joking).  Also, as FISHM stated, there is a rural learning experience. It is done the start of the summer semester (3rd semester).  You are divided up among the medical students and travel to one of the numerous rural communities in North Florida/South Georgia.   

The FSU curriculum is a little different than most. As you have noticed its 27mo vs the traditional 24.  This is a result of the program director talking with medical systems across the state and asking what they look for when hiring a PA.  The overwhelming response was a solid understanding of not only medicine, but fundamental sciences (biochemistry, genetics, pathophysiology, pharmacology, etc.).  So you will notice our first semester is similar to the first year of medical school, all basic sciences. 

Hey everyone! So I interviewed on October 1st and was wondering if anyone has heard when they will be letting us know decisions. I completely forgot to ask during the interview and figured before I emailed Cyndi I'd check here. 

Also, good luck to anyone interviewing on Monday! You guys will do great!