2018-2019 Application Cycle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I have submitted my application and I am just waiting to be verified! I took the CASPer last Thursday and I am curious if anybody knows how this is going to be factored in to the application? Is this something that affects our file score? Has anybody heard anything about this?

@JohnnyLAX9 hey there! I'm interested in this too, & I found this from their website, "The CASPer test assesses non-cognitive skills and interpersonal characteristics important for successful students and graduates of the program and is used to complement the other applicant screening tools. CASPer results will be evaluated during various steps of the admissions process. This may include but is not limited to the CASPA application review process for determining whether or not to call an applicant for an interview and the review of applicant interview performance results." It looks like the file score is solely Prerequisite GPA + (Quantitative GRE Percentile/100) + (Verbal GRE Percentile/100), so it must factor in somehow differently. it's weird how we will never see the scores! good luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!! I haven’t received my official file score yet but I took the GRE late so I’m wondering if that has held it up. Has anyone else developed a nervous habit of checking their email every five minutes? I’m so ready to start hearing back from programs! 

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:53 AM, han2018 said:

@carlzbarkley ISU is also my top choice! I’ve heard some programs are extremely competitive for first time applicants and you almost have to apply a second time to be offered a seat. Hope that’s not the case for ISU!

I hope so too! That seems frustrating. It's not the vibe I got from this program though, moreso open to anyone who has a high enough file score. Good luck to ya

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Skyells said:

Has anybody received any updates after they told you your file score?

Hey skyells, after getting my file score, Ann S emailed me a few weeks later saying that I was still being reviewed by two members of the committee and to remain patient as it’s a busy time. That’s it though. Hope that helps!!

Hi everyone! I received an email yesterday saying I’d been selected for an interview and would get a call when they start scheduling specific dates. Does anyone know what the big differences are between the campuses? I’ve tried lurking the forum but haven’t found a good list detailing anything. 

This is my second time applying to schools so I’m pretty excited!

15 hours ago, rno said:

Hi everyone! I received an email yesterday saying I’d been selected for an interview and would get a call when they start scheduling specific dates. Does anyone know what the big differences are between the campuses? I’ve tried lurking the forum but haven’t found a good list detailing anything. 

This is my second time applying to schools so I’m pretty excited!

Hello! I’m starting my first year in the program in a week. I’ll try to shed some light on some of the differences. 

Meridian - The “campus” is actually charter high school right off the freeway. ISU has nursing, pharmacy, and PT students here as well. Lectures are held in one classroom all day that doesn’t have a window which sucks? there is a sweet anatomy lab on campus with some high tech stuff in it. They just built Idaho’s first medical school right next door. I’m sure we will be collaborating with the Med students on occasion. You can also use the high schools gym when their school is out. Meridian is right next to Boise so there is a ton to do. I have lived here my whole life and absolutely love it. Tons to do outdoors. I live in downtown Boise and since the school is right by the freeway it will only take 15-20 minutes to get to. There is a ski hill 45 minutes away. Huge lake 30 minutes away. And tons of parks and a river that runs through the whole valley.

Pocatello - Idaho State University’s main campus is located here. Much smaller town but lots to do outdoors from what I have heard. You will have more access to college resources since this is the actual campus. 

Caldwell - I interviewed at Caldwell so I got a good look at what’s going on over there. Caldwell is about 35-45 minutes from downtown Boise. So about 20 minutes from meridian. The PA program has a small little buolding on the College of Idaho’s campus that the 12 PA students use. Much smaller class size compared to the other campuses so all the students seemed like they were close with each other. The CofI campus is beautiful and historic. You get access to the campus gym. You travel to Meridian for anatomy lab. Bad thing about Caldwell is you have to pay a lot more money since college of idaho is a private school. 

Lectures are held at all 3 campuses. So when the lecturer isn’t at your campus, it is video broadcasted to you. Everyone has a mic on their desk that you can buzz in to ask questions. From what I have heard, it isn’t a big deal to have a bunch of lectures over video. The technology is very good and there is dedicated staff just to make sure that everything goes smoothly. 

Hope that helps a little! Glad to answer any questions that I can.

I received an email saying I got selected for an interview as well. Said they will call when they finalize the interview schedule but said we should be expecting them to start the last week of October or first week of November. It then sounds like they get back to you pretty fast to tell you if you have made it in or not. 

23 hours ago, PA2O18 said:

Hello! I’m starting my first year in the program in a week. I’ll try to shed some light on some of the differences. 

Meridian - The “campus” is actually charter high school right off the freeway. ISU has nursing, pharmacy, and PT students here as well. Lectures are held in one classroom all day that doesn’t have a window which sucks? there is a sweet anatomy lab on campus with some high tech stuff in it. They just built Idaho’s first medical school right next door. I’m sure we will be collaborating with the Med students on occasion. You can also use the high schools gym when their school is out. Meridian is right next to Boise so there is a ton to do. I have lived here my whole life and absolutely love it. Tons to do outdoors. I live in downtown Boise and since the school is right by the freeway it will only take 15-20 minutes to get to. There is a ski hill 45 minutes away. Huge lake 30 minutes away. And tons of parks and a river that runs through the whole valley.

Pocatello - Idaho State University’s main campus is located here. Much smaller town but lots to do outdoors from what I have heard. You will have more access to college resources since this is the actual campus. 

Caldwell - I interviewed at Caldwell so I got a good look at what’s going on over there. Caldwell is about 35-45 minutes from downtown Boise. So about 20 minutes from meridian. The PA program has a small little buolding on the College of Idaho’s campus that the 12 PA students use. Much smaller class size compared to the other campuses so all the students seemed like they were close with each other. The CofI campus is beautiful and historic. You get access to the campus gym. You travel to Meridian for anatomy lab. Bad thing about Caldwell is you have to pay a lot more money since college of idaho is a private school. 

Lectures are held at all 3 campuses. So when the lecturer isn’t at your campus, it is video broadcasted to you. Everyone has a mic on their desk that you can buzz in to ask questions. From what I have heard, it isn’t a big deal to have a bunch of lectures over video. The technology is very good and there is dedicated staff just to make sure that everything goes smoothly. 

Hope that helps a little! Glad to answer any questions that I can.

What is the anatomy lab like? It's not a cadaver lab is it? 

19 minutes ago, Skyells said:

What is the anatomy lab like? It's not a cadaver lab is it? 

Yeah there are actual cadavers and also virtual cadavers. There are a bunch of workstations that have tv displays and other technology. The professor can switch all the tv’s to display something to everyone in their workstations. You should be able to google “Idaho State Univiersity Anatomy Lab” and see a bunch on it! This is for the Meridian campus. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Hilldon0123 said:

@carlzbarkley @Skyells would you two mind sharing your stats? This program is my first choice and I wanted to know if I was close to the people who already received interview invites. 

sure! it sounds like they are giving all file scores of 5.0 and above to 2 committee members to review right now, then will lower it as time goes on. mine was 5.11, with cgpa of 3.48 and a little over 4,000 hours of pce as an ekg tech/nurse tech. hope that helps!

47 minutes ago, carlzbarkley said:

sure! it sounds like they are giving all file scores of 5.0 and above to 2 committee members to review right now, then will lower it as time goes on. mine was 5.11, with cgpa of 3.48 and a little over 4,000 hours of pce as an ekg tech/nurse tech. hope that helps!

That is helpful. Thank you!

Archived