2018-2019 George Washington University

@AnneDPAApplicant

Of course! I can't speak about the entire first year, since I started in May 2018 and have only completed my summer semester and recently started fall. Pretty much over the summer we were in classes all day. Summer semester has many foundational classes (ie, biochem, anatomy, physiology) to prep you for the more clinically relevant courses, but we did meet weekly all summer long to practice a full head-to-toe physical exam and by the end of the summer semester, we were all able to perform a full physical! There are also opportunities to volunteer at the GW Healing Clinic, which is a largely student-run clinic that provides primary care to the underserved population in the area. I personally didn't get a chance to do that over the summer, but am planning on volunteering this semester. Now that fall semester has started, there are a lot more opportunities to practice skills. We have classes where we're able to practice reading X-rays, reading EKGs, casting, removing foreign objects from ears/nose, etc. We also have a pre-clinical preceptorship experience coming up where we shadow a preceptor before 2nd year to get an idea of how things will be in the clinical setting. I will be shadowing an ortho PA and am super excited since I've never had any experience with ortho! 

In terms of the best way to retain everything we're learning, it's definitely hard and everyone has a different way to learn, understand, and retain! So my best advice to you would be to find what works for YOU and not compare yourself to what everyone else around you is doing (and also remember that your classmates will be your family for 2 years and that PA school isn't a competition between you and your classmates). Some people like making index cards and some people think that wastes too much of their study time. Some people are readers and learn and retain straight from reading the textbook (I am not that lucky). So just find what works best for you! Personally, I really like making outlines and charts and that helps me a lot. I also try my best to get some studying done after classes in the evening, so I don't feel overwhelmed over the weekends or right before an exam.

They don't lie when they say it's a LOT of material, but with some hope, motivation, and caffeine, almost anything is possible! ? Let me know if you have any more questions!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

On 8/31/2018 at 8:29 AM, Karishma said:

@AnneDPAApplicant

Of course! I can't speak about the entire first year, since I started in May 2018 and have only completed my summer semester and recently started fall. Pretty much over the summer we were in classes all day. Summer semester has many foundational classes (ie, biochem, anatomy, physiology) to prep you for the more clinically relevant courses, but we did meet weekly all summer long to practice a full head-to-toe physical exam and by the end of the summer semester, we were all able to perform a full physical! There are also opportunities to volunteer at the GW Healing Clinic, which is a largely student-run clinic that provides primary care to the underserved population in the area. I personally didn't get a chance to do that over the summer, but am planning on volunteering this semester. Now that fall semester has started, there are a lot more opportunities to practice skills. We have classes where we're able to practice reading X-rays, reading EKGs, casting, removing foreign objects from ears/nose, etc. We also have a pre-clinical preceptorship experience coming up where we shadow a preceptor before 2nd year to get an idea of how things will be in the clinical setting. I will be shadowing an ortho PA and am super excited since I've never had any experience with ortho! 

In terms of the best way to retain everything we're learning, it's definitely hard and everyone has a different way to learn, understand, and retain! So my best advice to you would be to find what works for YOU and not compare yourself to what everyone else around you is doing (and also remember that your classmates will be your family for 2 years and that PA school isn't a competition between you and your classmates). Some people like making index cards and some people think that wastes too much of their study time. Some people are readers and learn and retain straight from reading the textbook (I am not that lucky). So just find what works best for you! Personally, I really like making outlines and charts and that helps me a lot. I also try my best to get some studying done after classes in the evening, so I don't feel overwhelmed over the weekends or right before an exam.

They don't lie when they say it's a LOT of material, but with some hope, motivation, and caffeine, almost anything is possible! ? Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thank you so much for such an extensive reply! Hearing about the day to day is really helpful. All the best Anne 

On 8/27/2018 at 10:27 AM, AnneDPAApplicant said:

Hi Karishma, 

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions! I wondered if you could speak about your first year experience. What classes and lectures are like, if there are opportunities to practice skills in a clinical setting during the first year and what you’ve found to be the best way to retain all that you are learning along the way. Any insight you can offer would be appreciated,  I’m just curious what the first year is like. 

Thank you! 

Anne 

Hi there, I'm another PA student at GWU in the class of 2020! Karishma's response was pretty much everything I think but I also want to add that GWU has a healing clinic that all first and second year students are able to volunteer at! I was there during my very first week of summer semester helping take vitals, draw blood, and do focused history and physical exams as I felt comfortable. It's harder to spend more time doing this kind of volunteer work as the semesters get busier but it is always there as an option to practice clinical skills and help the community!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 9/12/2018 at 10:46 AM, RachFrie said:

Hi there, I'm another PA student at GWU in the class of 2020! Karishma's response was pretty much everything I think but I also want to add that GWU has a healing clinic that all first and second year students are able to volunteer at! I was there during my very first week of summer semester helping take vitals, draw blood, and do focused history and physical exams as I felt comfortable. It's harder to spend more time doing this kind of volunteer work as the semesters get busier but it is always there as an option to practice clinical skills and help the community!

Thank you! That sounds like a perfect  opportunity to practice skills and help patients. 

Hey all - I'm relatively new to the forum and trying to catch up on all the threads for the schools I applied to earlier this year. I received an email saying my application was under review not too long after submitting, but haven't heard anything since. I know some of you have already received interview invites (CONGRATS YOU GUYS!!!) -- I'm wondering if they will still send out interview invites for later dates? Any current students have insight on this?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Shejera said:

Congrats to those who are scheduled to interview! When they send the email invitation, is it also reflected in your GW portal?

Not that I could tell. When I logged into the portal there's nothing to indicate the interview invitation I received. Under the "My Events" tab it still shows "You have not registered for any upcoming events". Looks like they communicate mainly via email, hope that helps!

The social gathering is informal and casual, feel free to wear whatever you're comfortable in. It is not a "secret" interview and doesn't factor into your admission decision at all. When I was an interviewer I avoided going just to remove any possibility of bias. It really is meant to just be a way for you guys to talk to current students and calm the butterflies in your stomach. We've all been there we know this part is stressful! Don't be intimidated.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 9/26/2018 at 5:41 PM, GWUlian said:

The social gathering is informal and casual, feel free to wear whatever you're comfortable in. It is not a "secret" interview and doesn't factor into your admission decision at all. When I was an interviewer I avoided going just to remove any possibility of bias. It really is meant to just be a way for you guys to talk to current students and calm the butterflies in your stomach. We've all been there we know this part is stressful! Don't be intimidated.

Would I look out of place if I wore a nice dress and cardigan or is that normal?