Dr. fired over writing an op-ed opposing Nurse Practitioners.

I found this pretty sad. 

http://tucson.com/news/local/green-valley-doctor-i-was-fired-over-op-ed-about/article_88173101-937a-52cb-960b-5d1a1b053410.html

"After expressing that opinion in a newspaper column titled “Are NPs the same as MDs?” Maron was fired from his job with the United Community Health Center’s Green Valley clinic for violating the organization’s “principle of mutual respect,” Maron said last week."

Obviously if he said the same about PAs, he would never have been fired. I think the Nursing lobby played a part in this mess. "mutual respect," I think not, more like you talked against our agenda, and now you shall be punished. 

Sorry Corp I think that is just a bit  paranoid and I don't trust much of anything I can't prove so for me that is a big statement. I work in an organization where "nice" is more important than anything and I could see them firing a physician (or anyone else) who wrote something "bad" about another group of employees. It is a feel good tender touchy feely world these days often at the expense of common sense, thoughtful discussion, and progress.

I just think it's pretty bad when someone writes an article about concern over NPs not having enough education (which they don't I would say) to practice completely independently right out of school, and then said person completely loses job over this. Like I said, I think the nursing lobby plaid an important role in this firing. 

Guest ERCat

Wow. I thought the article was extremely well written and also respectful. To get fired over that? It IS quite chilling...

Any bets at what management's primary degree track is there?  I'm willing to bet it wasn't Health Care Admin...guy wasn't slagging anyone down, he was making a point to people that act like someone they aren't or accidentally on purpose neglect to tell people who they are.

SK

4 minutes ago, BayPAC said:

If new residents can cause the July effect right out of medical school... imagine what PAs and NPs can do practicing medicine completely independently as new grads... 

yes and no. depends on the PA/NP, wouldn't you say? I would rather have someone with 20 years of experience as a critical care nurse , now a pa or np, take care of me in july than a new md intern. 

2 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

yes and no. depends on the PA/NP, wouldn't you say? I would rather have someone with 20 years of experience as a critical care nurse , now a pa or np, take care of me in july than a new md intern. 

new md intern > new grad pa/np. 

experienced pa/np > new md intern 

? 

23 minutes ago, BayPAC said:

?

As a resident in EM, New MD intern = New PA on average. Obviously depending on the person. I base this on others, not myself compared to the MD interns. I’ve seen new MD interns who are worse and vice versa.

38 minutes ago, BayPAC said:

? 

once again, depends on the pa/np and depends on the md. rock star pa with years of prior experience in the field in which they now work(say Resp therapist to pulmonology/critical care) compared to the guy who barely graduated medschool? I will take the pa. rock star md vs avg pa. I will take the md. 

Prior to med school, I had essentially zero clinical experience so when I started intern year, I was pretty terrible. I'm sure people in all sorts of specialties would have run circles around me, especially with experience.

I think it's usually a couple years into your training and practice that you start hitting that stride where all that basic science and pathophysiology starts kicking in with your increasing clinical experience and you begin to become a competent independent provider.

On 5/20/2018 at 6:07 PM, corpsman89 said:

I found this pretty sad. 

"After expressing that opinion in a newspaper column titled “Are NPs the same as MDs?” Maron was fired from his job with the United Community Health Center’s Green Valley clinic for violating the organization’s “principle of mutual respect,” Maron said last week."

Obviously if he said the same about PAs, he would never have been fired. I think the Nursing lobby played a part in this mess. "mutual respect," I think not, more like you talked against our agenda, and now you shall be punished. 

Your response contains a dangerous level of postulation and presupposition without much in the way of facts. 

I didn't realize that I forgot to include the actual article in my original post. 

Originial Article (pediatrician writes op-ed about MDs vs NPs):https://www.gvnews.com/opinion/in-my-view-are-nps-same-as-mds/article_f61574d2-f88e-11e7-912f-e75f6a0d0a49.html

Follow up article after physician was fired: http://tucson.com/news/local/green-valley-doctor-i-was-fired-over-op-ed-about/article_88173101-937a-52cb-960b-5d1a1b053410.html

Archived