2018 - 2019 OHSU Application Thread

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, catsandscrubs said:

Hi all ? Just got a rejection email today.  I hope each of you hear soon and you will! I was verified 8/31.  

Sorry to hear that! It's such a competitive program, I'm sure it just came down to applying at the end of the cycle. Good luck if you're still waiting to hear back from other programs and thanks for being such an encouraging voice on this thread ?

Anyone who has interviewed so far have any advice on the format, what to be prepared for, tips would be awesome! How were the MMIs?  Thanks in advance [emoji1]

First of all, congratulations! I was on the first interview group. The interview day was well organized. First we went around the room and everyone introduced themselves. Afterward, we were put into groups. There were 3 different sections. Group interview, individual interview and MMIs. I was really worry about the MMIs, because I did not have any experience (first time applicant, this is my first and the only interview I got this year). I talked to a few people before the interview and all of them told me the same thing, just be yourself. I totally agreed with that. I personally think that they are not trying to look for the best answer, but instead they want to see how you process the questions and how you approach the questions. For me, MMIs is fun, but at the same time it’s very intense. We have 2 mins to read the questions, and have about 6-7 mins to answer the questions. If you finish the questions before that 6 mins, you can choose the step out of the room, and wait. When I practice those MMIs at home, it was very hard to talk about it for 6 mins, but that day it was totally different, I felt the time was not enough. My suggestion would be, go online and search all of the MMI questions, and you go through them everyday, practice the questions in front of your mirrors and time yourself. Also, when you have time, keep thinking about those questions, just to keep your brain active. Secondly, don’t be nervous. I know it’s tough, but you have only 6 mins to present yourself, don’t let the negative emotion effect your brain. Everyone in my group are well beyond qualify, everyone is very mature and has a very strong background (Be honest with you, I really think that I am the worst one in my group), but remember, they are your future classmates, not your competitors. Always think about teamwork especially in the group interview. Last suggestion, just be yourself. We were told that this year, they have received more than 1700 qualify applications. There must be something of you that catch their eyes. So just be yourself, and be confident!

1 hour ago, anruan2008 said:

First of all, congratulations! I was on the first interview group. The interview day was well organized. First we went around the room and everyone introduced themselves. Afterward, we were put into groups. There were 3 different sections. Group interview, individual interview and MMIs. I was really worry about the MMIs, because I did not have any experience (first time applicant, this is my first and the only interview I got this year). I talked to a few people before the interview and all of them told me the same thing, just be yourself. I totally agreed with that. I personally think that they are not trying to look for the best answer, but instead they want to see how you process the questions and how you approach the questions. For me, MMIs is fun, but at the same time it’s very intense. We have 2 mins to read the questions, and have about 6-7 mins to answer the questions. If you finish the questions before that 6 mins, you can choose the step out of the room, and wait. When I practice those MMIs at home, it was very hard to talk about it for 6 mins, but that day it was totally different, I felt the time was not enough. My suggestion would be, go online and search all of the MMI questions, and you go through them everyday, practice the questions in front of your mirrors and time yourself. Also, when you have time, keep thinking about those questions, just to keep your brain active. Secondly, don’t be nervous. I know it’s tough, but you have only 6 mins to present yourself, don’t let the negative emotion effect your brain. Everyone in my group are well beyond qualify, everyone is very mature and has a very strong background (Be honest with you, I really think that I am the worst one in my group), but remember, they are your future classmates, not your competitors. Always think about teamwork especially in the group interview. Last suggestion, just be yourself. We were told that this year, they have received more than 1700 qualify applications. There must be something of you that catch their eyes. So just be yourself, and be confident!

Thank you for such a thorough response! 

9 hours ago, anruan2008 said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this thorough response! Great information. I know it is most definitely tough not to be nervous, especially when there’s so many amazing well qualified applicants along with you. I will keep that all in mind! How many MMIs stations were there? 

9 hours ago, anruan2008 said:

15 hours ago, anruan2008 said:

Is this you, An? This is Tim! Waiting to hear back is hard, right? ?

Your advice is great. Everyone with interviews coming up should try to relax and be themselves. The faculty are very friendly and professional. Think of other applicants as future classmates and work together.  The day goes by in a flash, and the MMIs are a good was to test an applicant's overall demeanor.

Be yourselves!

Is this you, An? This is Tim! Waiting to hear back is hard, right? [emoji23]
Your advice is great. Everyone with interviews coming up should try to relax and be themselves. The faculty are very friendly and professional. Think of other applicants as future classmates and work together.  The day goes by in a flash, and the MMIs are a good was to test an applicant's overall demeanor.

Be yourselves!

Hi Tim!!! Yes, this is An. Waiting is tough!

On 11/2/2018 at 4:18 PM, anruan2008 said:

Hi Guys!! I just received a call from Glenn, I got accepted!! Can’t believe that and can’t express my feeling right now! Good luck everybody else!! Can’t wait to be your classmate next year!

YAY!!! Congrats ? 

On 11/2/2018 at 4:18 PM, anruan2008 said:

Hi Guys!! I just received a call from Glenn, I got accepted!! Can’t believe that and can’t express my feeling right now! Good luck everybody else!! Can’t wait to be your classmate next year!

Do you mind telling me how long after you received your offer did they give to accept/pay your seat deposit? 

21 hours ago, mfr1981 said:

That's such terrific news, anruan2008! Congratulations on the acceptance!! My interview is coming up on 12/3, please wish the rest of us luck!

I'm interviewing on the 3rd as well! A few of us are going to try and get together on Sunday the 2nd for coffee at around 2, if you would like to join us. Send me a private message and I will do my best to get you connected. look forward to meeting you!

22 hours ago, aisfar123 said:

Hi, 
I also applied late does anyone know if there are anymore interview dates? I have not  heard back yet!

I'm not sure when the last interviews are this year, but last time I interviewed at OHSU I received an invitation in November for a early January interview. 

Waiting is tough but no news should be good news for you! Best of luck!

Archived