2018 - 2019 OHSU Application Thread

Hey y'all... I'm officially out of the running ?

Honestly, I'm surprised that I wasn't offered an interview. My clinical experience is definitely on the weak side for OHSU, but I really thought my GPA and other stats would help me to secure an interview. Goes to show that this process is hard to predict and there's no such thing as a sure thing when applying!

For those curious, stats are listed below:

• Oregon resident
  • cGPA 3.9, sGPA 3.97, significant upper level science coursework, multiple academic scholarships and awards including neuroscience student of the year, etc.
  • GRE 318
  • 1,300 hours scribing in the ER, 400 hours as a physical therapy aide, 350 hours as a rehabilitation assistant
  • 100 + hours of neuro auditory research
  • Strong PS edited by professors, many people on this forum and the pre-PA reddit, etc. with strong feedback

Good luck to you all. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, hmtpnw said:

Honestly, I'm surprised that I wasn't offered an interview. My clinical experience is definitely on the weak side for OHSU, but I really thought my GPA and other stats would help me to secure an interview. Goes to show that this process is hard to predict and there's no such thing as a sure thing when applying!

• Oregon resident
  • cGPA 3.9, sGPA 3.97, significant upper level science coursework, multiple academic scholarships and awards including neuroscience student of the year, etc.
  • GRE 318
  • 1,300 hours scribing in the ER, 400 hours as a physical therapy aide, 350 hours as a rehabilitation assistant
  • Strong PS edited by professors, many people on this forum and the pre-PA reddit, etc. with strong feedback

Good luck to you all. 

That is extremely impressive! I too have a solid GPA (lower, but-3.75), as well as numerous volunteer hours and experience. I received my rejection today. I realized post-submission of application that I did not have the required 2,000 hours of patient care experience and fell short just by about 400 hours (rookie mistake). I am thinking this was one of the main reasons why I did not receive and invite. I am also out of state which did not help in my favor.  Best of luck in your pursuit of becoming a PA, your hard work will pay off! 

Hey y'all... I'm officially out of the running [emoji174]
  • Oregon resident
  • GRE 318
Good luck to you all. 

That’s very impressive! I really think that you almost there. I would suggest to keep working on the hands-on experience, and re-apply next year. I have the confidence that you will make it next year!

10 hours ago, Alyno94 said:

That is extremely impressive! I too have a solid GPA (lower, but-3.75), as well as numerous volunteer hours and experience. I received my rejection today. I realized post-submission of application that I did not have the required 2,000 hours of patient care experience and fell short just by about 400 hours (rookie mistake). I am thinking this was one of the main reasons why I did not receive and invite. I am also out of state which did not help in my favor.  Best of luck in your pursuit of becoming a PA, your hard work will pay off! 

Thank you so much! Sounds like your stats are great as well. Good luck this cycle! Hopefully we will both hear back from other schools soon ??

8 hours ago, anruan2008 said:

That’s very impressive! I really think that you almost there. I would suggest to keep working on the hands-on experience, and re-apply next year. I have the confidence that you will make it next year!

Thank you so much! There are a few schools I’m still waiting to hear back from, so I’m hoping that I won’t be reapplying next year. I’m thinking that locally I’m a much better candidate for Pacific as they prioritize GPA. Keeping my fingers crossed! 

15 hours ago, hmtpnw said:

• Oregon resident
  • GRE 318

Good luck to you all. 

12 hours ago, DDoc-Skyline said:

Last cycle, the invites were sent all the way until October. My application was received Aug 22nd and I was invited for an interview in October. So don't feel discouraged if you haven't heard back. This is a perfect time to work on your interview prep if you have some free time. Good luck.

Would you be willing to share your stats? I submitted late July and I haven't heard anything.

Guest meepjamz
3 hours ago, Raiders4sho said:

Would you be willing to share your stats? I submitted late July and I haven't heard anything.

I submitted around the same time and I still havent heard anything either! I'm hoping that it is a good thing. ? the waiting is killing me.  That's good to hear it goes until October though - it leaves some hope. 

On 8/27/2018 at 5:38 PM, hmtpnw said:

• Oregon resident
  • GRE 318

Good luck to you all. 

That is tough! I've been there. Apply again next year and focus on getting really good experience. One student at ohsu told me they applied 3 times before they got in!

There are students who got accepted after their 4th interview. Not application... Interview. Persistence pays off, while you're applying and while you're in PA school.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back. I got my invite in early November for an interview last year, so don't fret if you haven't heard back. As you can imagine, there were a lot of applications this year.

2 hours ago, HighlandCH said:

That is tough! I've been there. Apply again next year and focus on getting really good experience. One student at ohsu told me they applied 3 times before they got in!

Did you also apply to Pacific University? I hear they focus more on academic success. When did your application get verified through OHSU? If you don’t mind sharing? 

6 hours ago, HighlandCH said:

It’s definirely a bummer! But at this point I’m looking forward to interviewing with schools who can see what I have to offer and hoping things work out! Fingers crossed I won’t be a reapplicant. 

I just heard back from Duke and am interviewing there in a few weeks! Very first interview date. After that news I’m definitely more optimistic about the cycle ?

13 hours ago, Mokat1298 said:

Did you also apply to Pacific University? I hear they focus more on academic success. When did your application get verified through OHSU? If you don’t mind sharing? 

I think this question might have been for me? I posted verifications times already.

Yes, Pacific definitely prioritizes academics. I went to their open house and I was surprised to find that GPA is their #1. I did apply to their program, and I feel that my applicant will be better received there. At least that's what I keep telling myself ? They just started reviewing applications, so I am hoping to hear from them in the next few weeks when interview invites start going out ?

Just confirmed an interview date of October 10th. If anyone else has an interview that day, let me know! I'm open to meeting up the day before on the 9th to get to know other applicants before the big day. Good luck to everyone else still waiting! Just be patient. Last time I interviewed at OHSU I didn't hear back until way later in the cycle.

Archived