2018 - 2019 OHSU Application Thread

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/5/2018 at 11:07 PM, HighlandCH said:

I'm interviewing on the 3rd as well! A few of us are going to try and get together on Sunday the 2nd for coffee at around 2, if you would like to join us. Send me a private message and I will do my best to get you connected. look forward to meeting you!

Hi HighlandCH, would love to! I sent you a pm! 

Just got my interview invitation (CASPA verified/complete 8/28)! I will be interviewing Dec. 12th and would love to meet up with any others that are going to be interviewing that day as well!  Like everyone else, I am most nervous about the MMIs aspect of the interview. Is there any suggestions that people have on ways that they prepared for this part? Any tips would be great!! 

I just confirmed my interview for Jan 14th. I am insanely excited. I am coming from AZ. Those of you that know or are from the Portland area any ideas on where to stay, eat and to do? I m bringing my wife with me and may try to get a good date night/mini vacation out of this opportunity. I applied last minute and did not expect to get an invite because I was so late. I had to apply to this school even though I considered it a long shot. Good luck to rest of us that are getting these last spots. 

3 hours ago, thewook88 said:

I just confirmed my interview for Jan 14th. I am insanely excited. I am coming from AZ. Those of you that know or are from the Portland area any ideas on where to stay, eat and to do? I m bringing my wife with me and may try to get a good date night/mini vacation out of this opportunity. I applied last minute and did not expect to get an invite because I was so late. I had to apply to this school even though I considered it a long shot. Good luck to rest of us that are getting these last spots. 

The school is located right near downtown Portland. It's such a fun area. Lots of airbnb's where you can stay. Lots of great food too. My favorite areas are NE Alberta st, NW 23rd, NE Hawthorne (close to 33rd) for food.

Just got my acceptance call, I'm so happy, going to send a rejection to Duke on Monday. This is proof you don't need the best grades to get into the best schools! SGPA 3.3 Overall GPA 3.5. My strength is in PCE with 8,000 patient care hours, half from being an ER Tech and half from being a health educator in a county jail. Good luck to everyone, I hope you all find your right school!

2 hours ago, Strickle said:

Just got my acceptance call, I'm so happy, going to send a rejection to Duke on Monday. This is proof you don't need the best grades to get into the best schools! SGPA 3.3 Overall GPA 3.5. My strength is in PCE with 8,000 patient care hours, half from being an ER Tech and half from being a health educator in a county jail. Good luck to everyone, I hope you all find your right school!

Congrats! When did you interview?

Got a call earlier today offering me a spot!!! So incredibly excited and can’t wait to join everyone in June (we’ll be moving from the Midwest). 

Just because I know people will want to know:

- Overall Science GPA: 3.88 (I do have an F on my transcript from a Modern Physics course)

- Overall GPA: 3.69 

- GRE: Verbal = 158 (80%), Quant = 152 (42%), and Writing = 3.5 (42%) (but GRE honesty doesn’t matter for OHSU)

- PCE/HCE = around 10,000 (80% of which was direct PCE)

- Volunteering = 200 hours (including time spent with underserved communities)

- Shadowing = 100 hours (MD, PA, and NP)

I invested a lot of time into making sure my personal statement and essays reflected my unique experiences and passions. Also, the best interview prep I can offer is to be yourself (honestly drove me nuts to hear, but it’s true) and reflect on the experiences that got you to that point. 😊

2 hours ago, pengwen said:

Got a call earlier today offering me a spot!!! So incredibly excited and can’t wait to join everyone in June (we’ll be moving from the Midwest). 

Just because I know people will want to know:

- Overall Science GPA: 3.88 (I do have an F on my transcript from a Modern Physics course)

- Overall GPA: 3.69 

- GRE: Verbal = 158 (80%), Quant = 152 (42%), and Writing = 3.5 (42%) (but GRE honesty doesn’t matter for OHSU)

- PCE/HCE = around 10,000 (80% of which was direct PCE)

- Volunteering = 200 hours (including time spent with underserved communities)

- Shadowing = 100 hours (MD, PA, and NP)

I invested a lot of time into making sure my personal statement and essays reflected my unique experiences and passions. Also, the best interview prep I can offer is to be yourself (honestly drove me nuts to hear, but it’s true) and reflect on the experiences that got you to that point. 😊

When did you interview? I recieved a hold status update today and interviewed november 14th. 

I received a call yesterday as well! I interviewed on October 10th and was placed on a "hold status". I was nervous about the delay, but I got the call yesterday!

I am beyond words right now. I've been applying to PA schools for 3 years and OHSU has always been my top choice! I am so excited to start classes and meet you all!

Good luck to those with interviews coming up, and happy Thanksgiving!

On 11/21/2018 at 5:26 AM, thewook88 said:

Sweet. Any recommendations?

Portland is such a foodie town that just about everywhere you go has amazing food. There is an Iraqi restaurant on Alberta that is yummy. Blue star donuts on 23rd is yummy. Porque no? Is a taco place that is amazing. Pine st. bisquits on Alberta is really good. Literally anywhere is going to be great. The beer and wine that is local is all really good too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 10:03 AM, thewook88 said:

Also there are several airbnb's in the area near ohsu. Even though I only live 1 hour away, I'm staying in one within walking distance for cheaper than a hotel

17 hours ago, HighlandCH said:

Those of you who have interviewed, how are you feeling? I felt good about the interview day, but have no idea what to expect!

I feel the exact same! I thought the interview went very well for me but with the interview style they use it’s hard to really evaluate how you did. When is your group expected to hear back? 

Archived