2018 - 2019 OHSU Application Thread

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, pnwpabound said:

Hopefully, you will hear back then with positive news! ? When was your application complete and sent for full review at OHSU?

Thanks I hope so! My application was received June 25th and I got notified on the 27th that it was complete from the school.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:26 AM, Oregoncoast said:

Interview day is great and well designed, and they feed you well.

It is MMI interviews with some other things interspersed. 

Hey there! I have a quick question about the MMI interview at OHSU. Were you permitted to take notes while you considered each prompt and use this information while giving your answers? I figured I'd try this forum before emailing the school. Thank you!

13 hours ago, Daviser12 said:

Hey there! I have a quick question about the MMI interview at OHSU. Were you permitted to take notes while you considered each prompt and use this information while giving your answers? I figured I'd try this forum before emailing the school. Thank you!

Yes, if I recall correctly, notes were allowed during the MMIs.

On 9/22/2018 at 10:06 AM, Oregoncoast said:

I got this last year... And I ended up getting an interview and was accepted. I took it as bad news when I got that email and completely wasted energy getting worried about it. Seems like you have the right attitude, stay positive and good luck!!

Thank you for sharing with us. Do you still remember when we’re you offered the interview? 

10 hours ago, QIUQIU said:

Thank you for sharing with us. Do you still remember when we’re you offered the interview? 

It was early November when I got my interview invite. The toughest part was that I was told I would hear by the end of October... The day came and went with zero word. A few days later, they emailed to say they were still working through apps, and I got my invite by the end of that week. I definitely stressed a lot over nothing in the end.

I’m new to this forum and will be applying next cycle!! I was just wondering for those that got interviews, were you able to pick the interview date? I’m getting married in the summer and trying to plan our honeymoon, but I’m worried about interview dates!! Also same question for those that applied to other schools? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Delanie said:

I’m new to this forum and will be applying next cycle!! I was just wondering for those that got interviews, were you able to pick the interview date? I’m getting married in the summer and trying to plan our honeymoon, but I’m worried about interview dates!! Also same question for those that applied to other schools? Thanks!

Some schools are very strict about their interview offers and the date they give you is the date you get. If you can’t make it on that date than you forfeit your interview. Other schools are more flexible and offer you multiple dates that you can choose from. I’ve only had interviews  overlap once so far this cycle (fingers-crossed) and I emailed the 2nd school to see if I could reschedule for an alternative date (which I’m able to do, but it will make it harder for me to get into their program since they use rolling admissions). In my experience, OHSU is a pretty considerate program; my interview offer last year came with 4-ish dates and I was asked to rank the top three that would work. They did their best to give students their top choices, but I end up with #3. 

On a side note, I got married in the summer while applying for PA school and we delayed our honeymoon until the spring (March) before school would have started. I always encourage people to apply early, but I think it would be unlikely that you would get interviews scheduled for right away in June (even if you submitted early-May). July/August would definitely be a little riskier! If you do delay wedding plans, just be aware that some schools do have later interviews and I still had to turn down an alternate spot because of our honeymoon.

Hope that helps!

49 minutes ago, pengwen said:

Some schools are very strict about their interview offers and the date they give you is the date you get. If you can’t make it on that date than you forfeit your interview. Other schools are more flexible and offer you multiple dates that you can choose from. I’ve only had interviews  overlap once so far this cycle (fingers-crossed) and I emailed the 2nd school to see if I could reschedule for an alternative date (which I’m able to do, but it will make it harder for me to get into their program since they use rolling admissions). In my experience, OHSU is a pretty considerate program; my interview offer last year came with 4-ish dates and I was asked to rank the top three that would work. They did their best to give students their top choices, but I end up with #3. 

On a side note, I got married in the summer while applying for PA school and we delayed our honeymoon until the spring (March) before school would have started. I always encourage people to apply early, but I think it would be unlikely that you would get interviews scheduled for right away in June (even if you submitted early-May). July/August would definitely be a little riskier! If you do delay wedding plans, just be aware that some schools do have later interviews and I still had to turn down an alternate spot because of our honeymoon.

Hope that helps!

That is very helpful thank you!!! I think we’re planning our honeymoon for the end of July, though I would prefer like October. Most of the schools I am applying to don’t start interviews until august so it should be okay! I considered moving it to March or April, but it scares me that I’ll have to move right after or during due to be accepted somewhere for a start date in June. 

5 hours ago, Delanie said:

In the interview offer email, I was provided four dates (two in nov and two in dec). They requested we submit three date preferences and they would confirm a date. First come first serve to dates. 16 spots per interview day.  

On 9/25/2018 at 6:09 PM, pnwpabound said:

Anyone else get an interview invite for December 3rd? SO excited. I'd love to meet up the day before if anyone is interested ?

Hi! I just got an invitation for December 3 also! I'd love to meet up beforehand so there will be at least one familiar face!

Hey all, 

Applied a bit over a month ago and haven't heard anything yet. 

cGPA 3.65

SGPA 3.97

GRE: 157v 157q 5.5w

5000 HCE working as a tech in drug and alcohol rehab facilities. 

2500 volunteer hours working in drug and alcohol rehab. 

Do I have a realistic chance at getting an interview? Good luck to all and major congrats to anyone that has gotten interviews/beyond! You should be incredibly proud of that. 

4 hours ago, bcfa22 said:

Hey all, 

Applied a bit over a month ago and haven't heard anything yet. 

cGPA 3.65

SGPA 3.97

GRE: 157v 157q 5.5w

5000 HCE working as a tech in drug and alcohol rehab facilities. 

2500 volunteer hours working in drug and alcohol rehab. 

Do I have a realistic chance at getting an interview? Good luck to all and major congrats to anyone that has gotten interviews/beyond! You should be incredibly proud of that. 

Got a rejection email a few minutes ago. Congrats to everyone and best of luck! 

15 hours ago, bcfa22 said:

Got a rejection email a few minutes ago. Congrats to everyone and best of luck! 

Hey sorry to hear your news. Try not to be too hard on yourself, your stats are great there’s just so many competitive applicants! If you plan on applying again maybe try to get some hospital patient care experience. I went to an OHSU info session and they really stressed hospital experience when it came to hours. Do you mind sharing when you submitted your application? I’m in the same boat as well of applying later in the game and waiting to hear back. So stressful!

35 minutes ago, Kellik33 said:

Hey sorry to hear your news. Try not to be too hard on yourself, your stats are great there’s just so many competitive applicants! If you plan on applying again maybe try to get some hospital patient care experience. I went to an OHSU info session and they really stressed hospital experience when it came to hours. Do you mind sharing when you submitted your application? I’m in the same boat as well of applying later in the game and waiting to hear back. So stressful!

Thanks for the words of encouragement :). I verified maybe a month prior to the deadline or so. Best of luck to you and hang in there! 

Archived