2018 - 2019 OHSU Application Thread

Hi everyone! Figured it was about time to get this thread rolling!

I am wondering if there was anyone around who applied last year who has any insight to provide? Or maybe anyone who attended one of the open houses and learned something interesting? I attended a CPR class yesterday and had a chance to speak with someone who was admitted to this year's class. I picked his brain a bit and got some info about the process.

He told me that his application was submitted very late in the cycle and he felt that he barely got an interview but was offered a seat. Hopefully this means that although it's rolling admissions they definitely save spots for good candidates towards the end of the cycle. He said that although the MMI format for the interviews was a bit strange, overall it wasn't as difficult or as overwhelming as he thought it would be. He also mentioned that a lot of the class had diverse clinical experiences and although OHSU emphasizes direct patient care, there seemed to be lots of scribes who were admitted. Excited about that one as about 1500 of my hours come from ER scribing ? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I submitted my application on 6/2. Made some good changes to my application this year including increasing my hours, all direct patient care, to >3500, increased GPA a little, got a LOR from an OHSU grad, and got my ACLS and CCT. Did a lot of research on this program and spoke with a current clinical year student about the program. I applied late last year and didn't get an interview, definitely an advantage to apply early. Speaking with the current student they love when an applicant emphasizes they are a team oriented person and demonstrates they work well in team environments. I know that Pacific University actually prefers scribes, I know a guy on the interview board there, because "they listen to how providers talk with patients." I know OHSU loves direct care but they do accept scribe hours. As long as you are an Oregon resident you have a huge advantage. 

1 hour ago, PAHunter said:

I submitted my application on 6/2. Made some good changes to my application this year including increasing my hours, all direct patient care, to >3500, increased GPA a little, got a LOR from an OHSU grad, and got my ACLS and CCT. Did a lot of research on this program and spoke with a current clinical year student about the program. I applied late last year and didn't get an interview, definitely an advantage to apply early. Speaking with the current student they love when an applicant emphasizes they are a team oriented person and demonstrates they work well in team environments. I know that Pacific University actually prefers scribes, I know a guy on the interview board there, because "they listen to how providers talk with patients." I know OHSU loves direct care but they do accept scribe hours. As long as you are an Oregon resident you have a huge advantage. 

Thank you so much for the info! It’s hard to piece together what a school is really looking for, so I feel like every little bit helps. 

I have to wait until the first week of July to submit as I’m just under 2,000 hours right now. I’m sure you’ll be at an advantage submitting this early! Their website says anything before mid July is considered early for their program, so I hope that’s actually the case. Maybe that’s when they start reviewing applications? Not exactly sure how to interpret that piece of info.

Oh I didn't see that anywhere, I just set a goal of the first week of June, but that's really good to know! I would think they start reviewing them as soon as possible rather than waiting but who knows. The first week of July is still plenty early to submit as they will probably send out their first batch of interview invitations around then. 

On 6/6/2018 at 10:25 AM, PAHunter said:

Oh I didn't see that anywhere, I just set a goal of the first week of June, but that's really good to know! I would think they start reviewing them as soon as possible rather than waiting but who knows. The first week of July is still plenty early to submit as they will probably send out their first batch of interview invitations around then. 

Okay good! I feel like July is still early, but so many people apply before that so it makes me nervous ?

On 6/9/2018 at 9:46 AM, hmtpnw said:

Okay good! I feel like July is still early, but so many people apply before that so it makes me nervous ?

Application complete notification received today. Hopefully won't have to wait the full 10 weeks before I hear back, and hopefully it's an interview invite!! Got the email monday that they had received my application and then only 3 days for OHSU to notify me it was complete and ready to be reviewed so they are moving quickly which is nice. 

Hey everyone! I know that OHSU no longer requires the GRE but I had to have my GRE scores entered on CASPA for another program. I noticed that the GRE website still has an option for you to send official scores to CASPA for OHSU. I'm just trying to decide if I should send the official scores since my unofficial scores are part of my application. What do you all think? 

15 minutes ago, MagenB said:

Hey everyone! I know that OHSU no longer requires the GRE but I had to have my GRE scores entered on CASPA for another program. I noticed that the GRE website still has an option for you to send official scores to CASPA for OHSU. I'm just trying to decide if I should send the official scores since my unofficial scores are part of my application. What do you all think? 

It's probably a waste of money. Generally if a program doesn't require the GRE then they won't consider it when making decisions on your application.

If your score is really strong, like 320ish or above, you can contact them directly and ask or just send it their way. If it's not an exceptional score then I really wouldn't bother either way as it won't make a difference.

16 minutes ago, ThePAwife said:

This is an interesting point. I automatically sent my husband’s scores for all schools we applied for but his GRE is his weakest point. He has amazing PCE, GPA, essays and passion but the GRE will hurt. OHSU doesn’t require, butnwill they see it and use it?

I imagine that they will see the unofficial score on his CASPA application. If you sent official scores to them then it’s possible that his GRE scores will end up in his file.

If a school doesn’t require it, they won’t officially take it into account when considering an application, generally speaking. If it’s there and they are aware of the score, I’m sure unconsciously it plays a role in the decision.

Again, the only way to know for sure is to get in contact with the program directly. 

Oh no. Obviously there is nothing you can do about an unconscious consideration of materials.

I mean that the only way to know if they will put the official scores you have sent in with his other application materials is to contact them and ask them. They likely have an official policy on whether they consider GRE scores that are sent to the program. 

• 3 weeks later...

So as I have been constantly searching these old OHSU forums and refreshing my email (starting to think I'm a little anxious lol) I have noticed that the first group of interview invites tend to go out on July 24th. I think that will likely be when we hear from OHSU. 

25 minutes ago, PAHunter said:

So as I have been constantly searching these old OHSU forums and refreshing my email (starting to think I'm a little anxious lol) I have noticed that the first group of interview invites tend to go out on July 24th. I think that will likely be when we hear from OHSU. 

Doing the same thing but I try to check this forum every Friday only so it’s not too much. I’m very eager to know when they are going to do invite for interviews. 

Hi everyone! I'm applying this cycle, and I'm originally from Iowa. After doing some research on OHSU, I noticed that they really tend to prefer Oregon residents. Can anyone shed a little light on how my chances would be as an out of state resident/how many out of state residents they actually accept? My step-brother lived in Portland for some time, so I mentioned that in my application. Otherwise, I really don't have any ties to the state. My stats are pretty average so I was just curious to see if they only accept out of state applicants who have outstanding stats. Thanks!!

25 minutes ago, paPassion7 said:

Hi everyone! I'm applying this cycle, and I'm originally from Iowa. After doing some research on OHSU, I noticed that they really tend to prefer Oregon residents. Can anyone shed a little light on how my chances would be as an out of state resident/how many out of state residents they actually accept? My step-brother lived in Portland for some time, so I mentioned that in my application. Otherwise, I really don't have any ties to the state. My stats are pretty average so I was just curious to see if they only accept out of state applicants who have outstanding stats. Thanks!!

hey there! it looks like OHSU does definitely give preference to OR residents or those with OR "heritage," which is defined as 1) A student with one or both parents residing in Oregon at the time of application, 2) A student who graduated from high school in Oregon with at least two years at a high school in Oregon, or 3) A student who graduated from an Oregon institution of higher education with a bachelor’s or advanced degree with at least two years of attendance at an institution of higher education in Oregon. It looks like 64% of the current PA class is either residing in OR or has heritage, so definitely a preference, but still a slight chance for us out-of-staters!! 15 students were out of state, and 27 were in-state for the most recent class. this is helpful: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-medicine/academic-programs/physician-assistant/applicants/classprofiles.cfm & good luck to you!

2 hours ago, paPassion7 said:

In addition to the criteria listed above, OHSU all give preference to applicants who fall into these categories:

• Resident and non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics, health care experience, and other related experiences such as leadership, shadowing, community service, etc.
  • Resident and non-resident candidates with an interest and/or experience in rural health, underserved populations, and/or primary care.
  • Veterans.

As an out of state applicant who doesn't fall into any of these categories your chances are probably slimmer, but that doesn't mean you don't have a shot.

I'm in the first year of the OHSU program. The majority of the class is from Oregon, and many fall into the other preferred categories. So, yes, falling into what the program prefers gives you a leg up

That said, your situation could very well make you a good fit for the program. They don't make decisions solely based on those aspects. My advice: Apply. It gives you a better chance than not applying. PA school will cost you $150,000+ .... A $50 application fee (or whatever it is) is a drop in the bucket, and a good investment in the most difficult part of the process.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 11:47 AM, PAHunter said:

Have been trying to find the hole in my theory with no success. Hopefully my calculations were just off by one week. 

Archived