Should PAs Hug Their Patients?

I am sure that you did the correct thing as this person looked into the face of death and you were one of the people that gave him the gift of a second chance. I have been with trauma patients upon extubation and gently held their arm or hand. I have done the same on CTD patients. I hold the hsnf and diy st the side of every one of my Plastic patients as this gives them security and do the same on extubation In the OR. I don’t hug my liposuction patients, breast patients or tummy tucks, even with a chaperone, proximity and type of examination have a bearing on my decisions.

I am in the camp of 99% of the time hugging when the patient initiates. However, there are a few patients I am close with that I feel ok initiating a hug. I will often put my hand on patient's shoulder, though.

I have 3 patients who are sisters and they come in all the time. They always say I love you when they leave, and I never really know how to respond to that...

The only lesson I learned from chiropractors (which many of my patients love) is that the patients love them, because they touch them. I have made it a habit of touching my patients whenever the situation invites. "My head is hurting here today," I touch it, rub it and ask, "is that sensitive." I touch their necks, not as treatment (like a masseuse) but to give a sense of empathy. However, I always end each visit with, "Anything else going on in your life?" If they respond, as they often do, "I had breast cancer this year", or they "just found a lump," or "my mother died" or "my son is on drugs," I often give them a hug at the end of the visit and conversation about those things. I try to always hug in a way that would not be mis-interrupted. I give women, and sometimes men, side by side hugs, my arm around their shoulder and a squeeze, rather than any kind of frontal embrace. Same with kids and always with their parent right in front of us.

Archived