Non-Healthcare Experience

I think it can be beneficial to list non-healthcare employment for a few reasons. 

For example, I have experience working in food service, both in management and serving. I learned SO much - how to survive shift work, multitasking, functioning in a fast paced, stressful environment, leadership skills, etc. I have spent a decade dealing with the public in all kinds of crazy scenarios and have really honed my people skills during that time. I have also worked at a few well known places in town that most people have heard of, so that recognition may make my app stick in someone's mind if someone who likes that restaurant comes across it. You never know what about your application will resonate with someone else.

Another thing to consider is if you worked while going to school. Listing employment that coincides with your education will show time management skills, especially if you did well in courses. I was a scribe in the ED and served while taking a full load of upper level science courses. I definitely want them to know that not only did I do really well in my classes, but I did well while juggling lots of other moving parts. 

Obviously I am using myself as an example, but apply this same thought process to your own employment. If you can think of one reason why a work experience made you a better person or better prepared you for PA school then it seems reasonable to add it. 

Side note: At a recent open house for a school's PA program the director of admissions said to definitely include non-healthcare employment. N=1, but seems worth mentioning.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, hmtpnw said:

I think it can be beneficial to list non-healthcare employment for a few reasons. 

For example, I have experience working in food service, both in management and serving. I learned SO much - how to survive shift work, multitasking, functioning in a fast paced, stressful environment, leadership skills, etc. I have spent a decade dealing with the public in all kinds of crazy scenarios and have really honed my people skills during that time. I have also worked at a few well known places in town that most people have heard of, so that recognition may make my app stick in someone's mind if someone who likes that restaurant comes across it. You never know what about your application will resonate with someone else.

Another thing to consider is if you worked while going to school. Listing employment that coincides with your education will show time management skills, especially if you did well in courses. I was a scribe in the ED and served while taking a full load of upper level science courses. I definitely want them to know that not only did I do really well in my classes, but I did well while juggling lots of other moving parts. 

Obviously I am using myself as an example, but apply this same thought process to your own employment. If you can think of one reason why a work experience made you a better person or better prepared you for PA school then it seems reasonable to add it. 

Side note: At a recent open house for a school's PA program the director of admissions said to definitely include non-healthcare employment. N=1, but seems worth mentioning.  

Thank you so much! This was very helpful. I will definitely add it in there!

I would definitely add non-healthcare experience as I think there could potentially be a lot of characteristics you learned or developed that might help you in healthcare. I included mine to show that I worked full time throughout undergraduate, and was able to balance a job and being a full time student. The only non-healthcare jobs that I didn't add were ones that I just worked for one summer or a few months as my second or third job at the time... 

• 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 4:16 AM, NathanSaruriPA87 said:

What if these work experience date back to 2006-2012 are they still worth mentioning? Let's say you worked in each job for 2 years but they're very old experiences, would you still bother mentioning them? Thanks

I'd say, add them. If they are from undergrad, esp. if it was when you were taking prerequisites. Why not?