Central Valley/Fresno PA jobs/lifestyle

did my medic internship in Fresno. Mind you, I grew up in socal on the coast. Fresno is redneck central. hot/dry/flat. could not get out of there fast enough. offered a medic job the day I finished internship and declined without any other offers at the time. think the midwest equivalent of CA. it is a flyover area if you like mountains or the coast or reasonable people.

8 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

did my medic internship in Fresno. Mind you, I grew up in socal on the coast. Fresno is redneck central. hot/dry/flat. could not get out of there fast enough. offered a medic job the day I finished internship and declined without any other offers at the time. think the midwest equivalent of CA. it is a flyover area if you like mountains or the coast or reasonable people.

As a Midwestern redneck I resent that haha!

8 minutes ago, RuralER/Ortho said:

As a Midwestern redneck I resent that haha!

hey, some folks might like that and I say to them "help yourself to the entire central valley of CA". As far as I am concerned its only value is being the fastest way to drive from northern to southern CA on I-5. (yes, I know it is the breadbasket of CA. doesn't mean I want to raise cows and live on a farm in 100 weather ).

Agree with EMEDPA.....central valley CA is a dump. There is a reason that the PA jobs offered there usually pay a ton. On the plus side, I'm sure there is affordable housing in that part of CA. Oh, and Salinas in the central valley has a fairly high crime rate/gang activity. I would say if you are thinking of working/moving there spend a day in the area to get a sense of the place. 

Salinas is only one country removed from the coast, not quite as bad as fresno. I had a tech job in college that required I occasionally work there. Agree about gangs, etc, but at least you can be at the beach within an hr.

The hospital there (Natividad) is well known as an excellent teaching ctr with great pathology. I would work there.

Mercy, lol.  I appreciate the honest replies!

We were looking in Clovis to be honest.  It was rated the best city in California to raise a family, but I've not been there.  So Cal and SF are  just too expensive.  Like nutty expensive, so we were trying to find something else a little more affordable when i stumbled across Clovis.

I feel like it is my obligation to provide my perspective here.. so here goes.

I grew up in Fresno and went to Clovis Unified schools. I'm finishing up PA school in Chicago and I've accepted a job in the ER in central valley. None of what has been said here is untrue (although keep in mind none of the replies so far specifically referenced Fresno, which you mentioned in your post.) However, let me provide the positive spin. 

In the Central Valley, you get to live in CA and not pay for it. Housing costs and general cost of living is so much lower than the bay area or SoCal. The beach is 2.5 hours away, and there is amazing camping, fishing, water and snow sports only 1.5 hours away. Yosemite is in your backyard. 

Clovis is a great place to raise a family. The schools are consistently very highly rated and it is very safe and very Suburban. Not generally appealing to those into nightlife and who are averse to suburbia/urban sprawl. Feel free to PM me with any questions!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I work in the Central Valley as a PA. The pay is very high here and you can have your pick of any specialty. I am making double what I was making at a family medicine job in LA. I only worked in LA 6 month right after school and moved here because of the attractive job opportunities with very high pay.  I am paying off my student loans fast.  It is cheap to live here. Yes, It is the Central Valley, but I love the fact I have a great job right out of school.

1 hour ago, Cideous said:

Very helpful guys thank you.  We are going to fly out and look.  Clovis looks very nice and the thought of being 2.5 hours from the beach (a  California beach not gulf beach), brings a smile to my face.

clovis IS nicer than fresno(of course, it would have to be by definition) and is "the gateway to Yosemite". we had a station there when I was a medic intern. it was the place we got to sleep all night long. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2018 at 6:53 AM, Cideous said:

Very helpful guys thank you.  We are going to fly out and look.  Clovis looks very nice and the thought of being 2.5 hours from the beach (a  California beach not gulf beach), brings a smile to my face.

As someone who has been all across this state, I definitely encourage you to prioritize a favorable location. The lifestyle difference between central California and the Bay Area/Socal is massive. Some people are comfortable with slower paced areas like Fresno or San Joaquin Valley, but on top of that they have high crime rates, scorching summers, and not much to do. 

Sacramento isn't bad as well. Not a bustling city but you'll be comfortable and there's booming attraction downtown. Also relatively easy to commute from the suburbs to Davis Med Center downtown or the various Kaiser Permanente offices, two of which are in upscale suburbs.

Archived