Hi Everyone,

I noticed there was no thread for this yet so I thought I would get it started. Good luck!

• Upvote 2

This is my first time applying and I am really scared if I'll get in:

Overall GPA: 3.3

Science GPA: 3.12

GRE : 300

HCE: Over 2000 hours as a medical assistant and PA shadowing around 150 hours

LOR: Orthopedic surgeon, PA (alumna), and professor

Personal statement: Very personal and positive reviews by many

good chance or don't bother?

9 minutes ago, fadreana said:

This is my first time applying and I am really scared if I'll get in:

Overall GPA: 3.3

Science GPA: 3.12

GRE : 300

HCE: Over 2000 hours as a medical assistant and PA shadowing around 150 hours

LOR: Orthopedic surgeon, PA (alumna), and professor

Personal statement: Very personal and positive reviews by many

good chance or don't bother?

My stats are similar to yours and it's my first time applying. I think you should definitely apply! I feel the same way about my applications and its very nerve racking. I submitted two of mine last week it has been verified and under review for South University.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, aspiringpastudent615 said:

Has anyone heard anything about interviews? I know the program in Savannah is starting to send out invites for interviews, but I have not heard anything about the program in Tampa. 

Not sure. I checked last years forum and it looked like they started sending out interviews around this time. Fingers crossed for everyone, I hope you get an interview!

• Upvote 1

Haven't heard from them yet, but I did hear back from Albany Medical College already so it's only a matter if time!

I got a request to take the CASper test today from South University. Did anyone know of this requirement during the application or do they send you the request after you submit?

Cheers

13 hours ago, ZuluSierra said:

What test is that? I’ve never heard of it

Its a new screening tool I've seen some school require. Situational based and a few prompts after a scenario is given. Obviously South University is requiring it. Here is the link for more information https://takecasper.com/aboutcasper/ 

23 hours ago, CHACHEE said:

Its a new screening tool I've seen some school require. Situational based and a few prompts after a scenario is given. Obviously South University is requiring it. Here is the link for more information https://takecasper.com/aboutcasper/ 

I haven’t heard about this either, South University Tampa sent you a link to this? 

They sent me an emails asking me to complete the test - that was 5/29 and I scheduled it that day but the next available test was 6/3. 

I received an email today stating my application is under review. I did not receive anything regarding CASper test. I did however take it this past weekend for another school I applied to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received an email today stating my application is under review. I did not receive anything regarding CASper test. I did however take it this past weekend for another school I applied to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just received an email asking me to complete the CASPer. There were not many dates/times to choose from. The next available date was June 21st. 

I just graduated in May so I'm still getting everything together to submit by the August 1 deadline. I noticed most of you have already submitted and are mentioning interviews. Do they give early interviews for people who submit their application early? 

@marlee28 Most programs utilize rolling admission, meaning that they review applications as they receive them. So the earlier you apply, the better your chances are.

Be ready to wait for results  - I took it on the 3rd and it is still pending results. says it takes on average 3-4 wks to be graded and sent to school.....Oh yeah, Test results are not shared with applicants! See below for statement from email.

***Please note that there is a processing period which typically lasts about four weeks. We do not share CASPer test results with applicants, they will only be shared with the schools on your distribution list. CASPer test results are only valid for one application cycle, and only for the program type and country that you reserved for.***

Does anyone know if they are waiting to offer interviews until after your CASPer exam has been graded? Seems like an awfully long wait for interviews for a January start program.

Seems like it. I havent heard anything from the school and I completed CASper on the 3rd. 

Just got the call about 10:00 to interview on July 11th! CASPer scores may be getting there from June 3rd. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HeyheyPA said:

Just got the call about 10:00 to interview on July 11th! CASPer scores may be getting there from June 3rd. 

Got an interview as well! Did they send you the email with more information? I'm still waiting on mine 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, prepaguy1 said:

Got an interview as well! Did they send you the email with more information? I'm still waiting on mine 

Congrats to those getting interviews! Would anyone mind sharing their stats? If not I completely understand. Good luck!!

I'm waiting for my email too! This is my first cycle and first interview so I'm super nervous. 

Stats: 3.2 cGPA and sGPA, took a ton of classes post bac so my pre req GPA is higher; GRE 309, W 4.0; >8,000 patient hours in a multi speciality ophthalmology practice, ~500 hours volunteering, some research experience, shadowed 2 PAs, one in the burn ICU and one in the OR doing lumbar fusions, also I already took my CASPer a couple weeks ago for another program

Edited by sarahbelle84
addition
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, prepaguy1 said:

Just got my email about details. I'm from Atlanta so any info on travel info from locals is much appreciated! My main concern is uber or if I should rent a car? 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By hmtpnw
      The Finer Details of the Personal Statement
      By Hannah Turner
      Writing is a special form of masochism. You construct something you’re deeply proud of, fretting over the mechanics of each sentence and the placement of every word, only to ask peers and editors to tear it apart completely. You take in their criticisms, ditch the bad ideas and get right back to work on the next draft. Along the way you have to let go of concepts that you were deeply attached to, and it hurts. In the end, the writing process is satisfying in its own right - in search of perfection you can create something really remarkable.
      The personal statement is an especially challenging form of writing, mostly because it’s so… deeply personal. The ideas and words that you choose to share are reflective of who you are; not only is it difficult to write about and articulate your own personal experiences and feelings, but you then have to submit this material to the editing process, which at times can be brutal. When applying to PA school, the personal statement is a challenging rite of passage that each of us must endure.
      So, what exactly is the PA school personal statement? At first glance, the parameters appear to be simple - it’s a 5,000 character essay which asks the question “Why are you interested in being a PA?” Although this question seems direct, there are nuances to the essay that are left unstated. First and foremost, implied in any personal statement is the idea that this piece of writing should explain who you are. That means that this is your chance for the admissions committee to get to know you. In addition to answering “Why PA?” and “Who are you?” your personal statement should also chronicle your background, experiences in healthcare and understanding of the PA profession. Although the prompt asks a singular, unassuming question, it quickly becomes a complicated web. A good personal statement will integrate the answers to all of the stated and unstated questions seamlessly.
      A big piece of understanding the personal statement is recognizing how programs utilize this portion of your application. The admissions committee will have your transcripts, summaries of clinical, volunteer and non-healthcare work experiences, information about awards or scholarships and explanations of any extracurricular activities. Although this is a major part of your application, a lot is left unsaid. They have your resume, but that doesn’t encompass who you are as a person. Are you are deeply passionate about caring for the medically underserved? Do you have a desire to work in primary care so that you can give back to your community? Tell the admissions committee about it! Here is your big opportunity to shine and leave your mark.
      The personal statement can also give you the chance to discuss any personal issues, discrepancies in your application or bumps in the road. Some applicants choose to address their upbringing or any disadvantages they experienced in their childhood and adolescent years. Others will briefly touch on academic struggles and extenuating circumstances they dealt with that caused disruptions in their coursework. The floor is yours to expand on anything you feel isn’t clear.
      Writing your personal statement will almost certainly be challenging, but it’s a necessary evil. This essay will allow admissions committees to understand who you are and what has been driving you towards the PA profession. It will give them an idea of what was happening in all of the space between the lines of your resume. Be genuine and get personal, because the personal statement can make or break your application. No pressure.

For tips on writing your personal statement, check out this article about the five steps that make the process easier. 
    • By hmtpnw
      The Five Steps to Writing a Strong Personal Statement
      By Hannah Turner

The process of writing a personal statement is so overwhelming… Where do you start? How do you say so much with so few characters? In the beginning, it all feels so unattainable. Many applicants struggle with writing their personal statement, and I certainly struggled to write my own.
      In the end I utilized a five step process that allowed me to produce a strong personal statement. Below I have detailed each step.
      Step 1: Start Early + Free Write
      First and foremost, start early. Not “give yourself a couple months” early, but “start thinking about this in the year before applying” early. Create a working document on your computer, keep a running note on your phone, carry around a notebook to log your ideas - whatever you need to do to keep track of your thoughts, DO IT. This is the most simple form of free writing. It’s low stakes, no pressure, and it allows you to write when the experiences are fresh in your mind.
      So, what should you write about? Anything that answers the questions, “Why PA?” and “Who are you?” is a great start. It doesn’t have to be logical or organized, just keep track of things that feels important. For me, I would often be at work and something would happen and I would write it down. Other times I would be out and about or at home and think of sometime interesting that I wanted to convey and I would add that. Keep track of experiences with providers, memorable patients and breakthrough moments in your journey. This will make your life SO much easier when you sit down to formally write your personal statement.
      Step 2: Organize + Trim the Fat
      Now that you’ve got your material, it’s time to start organizing. Put all your notes into a word or google document and bullet each idea/statement/paragraph. At first everything, will feel unrelated and you’ll have much more to work with than what you will use. That’s okay. Start sifting through everything and identify the weak points. Get rid of anything that feels unimportant or trite. This is where you really start trimming the fat.
      This is also a good time to expand on those ideas that resonate with you and really communicate who you are.
      Step 3: Create a Story
      After editing each bullet, begin to arrange things in a way that feels more like a story. I personally arranged my thoughts along a timeline allowing things to progress in chronological order. This can naturally lead to flow as your journey towards the PA profession happened in real time. There are other ways to create a story, like by identifying a common theme which can give your essay a backbone. Find what works for you.
      Here you will continue to trim the fat and keep paring everything down. Keep those big questions in mind, “Why PA” and “Who are you?” This will allow you to find the main points that you want to get across about yourself and why you are pursuing this profession.
      Step 4: Finishing Touches
      At this point you should have some kind of working draft. Now you should concern yourself with adding some finishing touches. Make sure that there is flow within each paragraph and between. Add transitions so that each idea will feed into the next. Polish your introduction and conclusion, making sure that each are strong and interesting.
      Things do not need to be perfect right now. This is a draft. Keep telling yourself this, and don’t worry that it’s not exactly how you want it. Don’t feel discouraged as your personal statement is still a work in progress.
      Step 5: Editing
      Step 5 is editing, and it’s crucial. It will make or break your essay, so take it seriously. Once you have a draft you need to get other eyes on your personal statement. After working your material over and over there are flaws that you can no longer see. To remedy this, reach out to current or former professors, PAs, friends, the writing center at your school or even this forum for editing.
      From here, take it all in and just keep making edits. Each comment on your draft will provide you with a jumping off point to rework or change an idea. I went through at least 3 or 4 drafts, maybe more. Remember, your personal statement doesn't need to be perfect from the very beginning, so please don't be discouraged! Writing is a process and everyone's first draft kind of sucks. That's why editors exist.
      Bonus Step: Keep the Faith
      Eventually you will be done editing, and it’s kind of a strange feeling. There will be no more comments and you will be satisfied with what you’ve created. It’s hard to see the point from the beginning, so you have to resign yourself to taking the writing process one step at a time.
      The most important thing that you can do is start, having faith that at some point it will come together. Start making notes, start writing, and don’t get discouraged when you don’t get it right the first time. If becoming a PA is your passion, a narrative will come through if you devote your time to this.
    • By tpinkz
      Hi everyone,
      I am having a bit of a dilemma! I am currently a student at a small community college in Maine. I started in 2015 and got my Associate in Applied Science in Medical Assisting a year ago this past May. I became certified through the AAMA and started working right away. I worked as a float in rheumatology, neurology, family practice, and OMT specialty. All very beneficial to gaining the knowledge I now have. I initially got my MA degree so I could start taking classes towards my bachelors degree and I would also have a job that would get my patient contact hours that I needed to apply to the PA program. I then realized that school was expensive and got the idea I should apply to nursing school since my school already offered the program and it is very affordable ($92 a credit hour- I am able to pay out of pocket!). I just completed my first year of the nursing program and have one year left before getting my RN degree. I like nursing and think that it takes a very special person to be a nurse- it is not easy! When I decided to go for nursing I let go of the PA dream and figured that I could take baby steps and get my NP degree. First my ADN, then BSN, and then NP. I was offered a paid summer nursing intern position at our local hospital. I have been working as a Tech in ER and floating around shadowing different nursing positions. They do this to help recruitment and allow students to see what they might like when they graduate. Often they offer students a per diem Tech position while they finish their last year of nursing school. I have gotten to work side by side with PAs, NPs, MDs, DOs, through this program and my MA work. I now still feel very passionately that I want to become a PA. I like the training that PA's get versus NP's, I do not like online course work that most NP programs offer. My learning style is more lecture, take notes, study those notes! After talking with a recent NP grad I was a little upset to learn they only practiced 2 hours of suturing in her program (her FNP program was live, not online). From what I have heard NP's don't cover a lot of technical training that a PA does. Ideally I would like to work in an acute care setting such as the ER as a midlevel. This leads me to another point, PAs have so much mobility they can go wherever whenever they wish. They don't have to specialize in certain age groups or settings. If I went to be an NP I definitely feel I would have to go to become an Acute Care NP. Down the road if I ever decided I wanted to go into a different specialty I would have to take a post masters certification. I also like that PA's get more experience in different areas during clinical. NP's do have a lot of experience as you must hold a valid RN license and have been an RN for a couple years, but they don't the same clinical experience that a PA does. The nursing model is good, but I don't love nursing everything is theory theory theory. I like the medical model- what it causing the problem and treat it! I feel as a PA you can still be holistic and treat the person as whole like NP schools emphasize. A conversation about diet and exercise with you patient is not going to hurt. Many people have told me that since I am going to be a nurse I should just go the NP route and as great as that could be it doesn't sound right. My opinion is that becoming a nurse will look good as patient experience coupled with my MA and Tech experience. I don't feel like I have wasted time and that I am learning A LOT! My next step is to figure out how to get a bachelors degree for PA school. Most pre-PA programs grant graduates with a biology degree. This is where I am torn- do I get my BSN online in a year or so or do I get a different degree. The online BSN program gives me a lot of versatility in work schedule as a nurse and then I will have to take my bio 1+2, chem 1+2, Organic chem, stats, and a few other pre-reqs for the PA program I am looking at. Or should I try and use both of my associate degrees towards a bachelors and see what degree I can get that would include the pre-reqs, basically skipping the BSN. I feel as though getting a BSN would be a waste of time, but I don't know if my previous classes will count towards any bachelors other than that. I guess then that there is always the question of not getting into PA school, at least I would still be an RN. I could then figure out where to go from there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all. 🙂 
      Best,
      Tyler P.
    • By paigeymay
      Hello, I am a future PA student and am curious about other opinions on this very important topic. With current and probable future healthcare reforms, what do you see as the benefits, repercussions, and changes on the PA job outlook? I ask this questions from a professional point of view and am not looking for arguments on political stands. Thanks for your input and I am curious to see your take on things.

I will start with my own understanding. President Trump has been making changes to slowly weaken Obamacare as his health reform has not been approved. President trump would like to create a healthcare plan for the young and healthy that would be more affordable and less coverage. While this makes sense and many healthy individuals would save money, I see this reshaping healthcare. With more young and healthy having less coverage, I see ER visits and urgent care clinics drastically increasing as many will not have scheduled appointments for their various medical issues. This would cause an increase in demand for PAs in these settings. From what I have been reading, the premiums for those that stay on Obamacare would quickly increase, possibly making their healthcare un-affordable. President Trump has some "pre-existing conditions" that would keep individuals from the young and healthy plan such as pregnancy, abortion, and having had mental health counseling or treatment to name a few. I have also been reading that President Trump would like to extend the short term health plans from 90 days to up to a year. These plans would originally created to fill gaps in coverage, but allowing the increase to a year would have an even more immediate jump in premiums for those who remain on ACA as discussed before. 
      These are all changes that have been occurring or are predicted to occur. Thank you for your input and please discuss any other changes that I did not mention.  
    • By paigeymay
      Hello, I am a future PA student and am curious about other opinions on this very important topic. With current and probable future healthcare reforms, what do you see as the benefits, repercussions, and changes on the PA job outlook? I ask this questions from a professional point of view and am not looking for arguments on political stands. Thanks for your input and I am curious to see your take on things.

I will start with my own understanding. President Trump has been making changes to slowly weaken Obamacare as his health reform has not been approved. President trump would like to create a healthcare plan for the young and healthy that would be more affordable and less coverage. While this makes sense and many healthy individuals would save money, I see this reshaping healthcare. With more young and healthy having less coverage, I see ER visits and urgent care clinics drastically increasing as many will not have scheduled appointments for their various medical issues. This would cause an increase in demand for PAs in these settings. From what I have been reading, the premiums for those that stay on Obamacare would quickly increase, possibly making their healthcare un-affordable. President Trump has some "pre-existing conditions" that would keep individuals from the young and healthy plan such as pregnancy, abortion, and having had mental health counseling or treatment to name a few. I have also been reading that President Trump would like to extend the short term health plans from 90 days to up to a year. These plans would originally created to fill gaps in coverage, but allowing the increase to a year would have an even more immediate jump in premiums for those who remain on ACA as discussed before. 
      These are all changes that have been occurring or are predicted to occur. Thank you for your input and please discuss any other changes that I did not mention.  

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More