Rutgers 2018-2019 Application Cycle

10 hours ago, LBrophy23 said:

What were your credentials? I don't have a great GPA but I was an athlete and am a dual major with a minor and am hoping that helps me a bit. I got sick with Lyme Disease so my GPA suffered and dropped from a 3.6 to a 3.2 after a 2.0 semester ? 

No way!!! I got sick with Lyme too my senior year requiring a PICC line. That’s crazy but I’m glad you’re okay ? It’s such a misunderstood illness.. 

Hey! Just in case y'all didn't know, here is where the previous years' threads can be viewed to get a better idea for the timeline of the entire process:

https://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forum/439-new-jersey-university-of-medicine-and-dentistry-of-new-jersey/

With regards to interview invitations, I can easily see from our current class that the school is extremely holistic in their admissions process. Regardless of grades (as long as you meet the minimum or have a great explanation for not meeting the minimum), state of residence, age, etc. if you fit the school's mission, they will try their best to give you a fighting chance. Don't get discouraged and really give it your all. No way in hell did I think I'd get a chance, but they gave me one anyway. Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allthingspa said:

No way!!! I got sick with Lyme too my senior year requiring a PICC line. That’s crazy but I’m glad you’re okay ? It’s such a misunderstood illness.. 

Yep! It is something that I had during one of my hardest semesters of college and it wasn't diagnosed until 3 weeks before the semester ended! I'm afraid my GPA will keep me from getting an interview anywhere

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LBrophy23 said:

Yep! It is something that I had during one of my hardest semesters of college and it wasn't diagnosed until 3 weeks before the semester ended! I'm afraid my GPA will keep me from getting an interview anywhere

I went undiagnosed for 4 months and it was an absolute mess.. I had mono at the same time but still managed to graduate so I’m lucky! I mentioned it in my personal statement, did you? 

On 6/7/2018 at 1:54 PM, allthingspa said:

I went undiagnosed for 4 months and it was an absolute mess.. I had mono at the same time but still managed to graduate so I’m lucky! I mentioned it in my personal statement, did you? 

Yes! I just finished my personal statement today. Waiting to get feedback as I feel it's not the best. I'm graduating in December! A semester later than my goal of graduating in 4 years, but we can't win them all haha

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2018 at 10:56 PM, LBrophy23 said:

What were your credentials? I don't have a great GPA but I was an athlete and am a dual major with a minor and am hoping that helps me a bit. I got sick with Lyme Disease so my GPA suffered and dropped from a 3.6 to a 3.2 after a 2.0 semester ? 

Hello! I'm sorry this is so late! 

Degree: BS in Biology  

cGPA: 3.44

sGPA: 3.19 (not the highest gpa because of classes like ochem and physics but very strong upward trend towards senior year and high grades in all upper level biology/medical courses) I also think I had a really strong letter (in addition to my personal statement) explaining my grades and how I've changed and improved over the years. 

PCE: 2000 hrs working as an Ophthalmic technician (current position), HCE: 250 hrs volunteering in a surgical waiting room 

Shadowing: 70 hrs (surgical PA, internist)

LORs: strong ones from the surgical PA I shadowed/has been a mentor, the MD I work for, and a professor. 

Lots of hours volunteering, non-healthcare employment, TA-ing (anatomy, virology) and a CNA certification. 

Almost 1000 hrs of extracurriculars and 500+ in leadership positions on campus.

Hopefully this will give you a little bit of hope! I'm so sorry to hear about your Lyme disease. I'm sure the admissions committee will understand! Plus you said you were also a double major with a minor and an athlete on top of that!! That’s incredible, please stay optimistic! You got this!

Edited by Ms123
  • Upvote 1

On 6/11/2018 at 6:24 PM, Earlthe said:

Looks like Rutgers is really pushing this "holistic" approach. Just got rejected with a 3.87 gpa, 2200+ pce, 300+ volunteering, and 100+ shadowing...lol

Goodluck though guys, I wish you all the best

...geez what type of patient care experience if you don’t mind me asking.. 

On 6/11/2018 at 6:24 PM, Earlthe said:

Looks like Rutgers is really pushing this "holistic" approach. Just got rejected with a 3.87 gpa, 2200+ pce, 300+ volunteering, and 100+ shadowing...lol

Goodluck though guys, I wish you all the best

I am with you ! Got rejected with  sGPA 4.0 , cGPA3.96 and 8000+ Heath care experience... 100+hr of volunteering at the hospital and 40+ shadowing hrs 

who knows what they are looking for ! But I am staying hopeful with another schools . Good luck ! 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, PArtnerincrime said:

I will be there July 19th. Flying out on the 18th and staying until the 20th. If anyone would like to grab dinner or explore the city let me know. 

I'll be there from the 18th-20th as well, I was looking for more people to grab dinner/explore the city with also!

Edited by dgeddam

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 3:13 PM, YGrabo said:

Unfortunately, they send me email where they said this : “

Dear Yuliya Grabo:

The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application to the Rutgers University Physician Assistant Program.  The applicant pool is incredibly competitive this year.  We regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you an interview for further consideration.

We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
Admissions Committee”

I have applied to 8 schools , so far two is out . Hopping for the best ! I am out of state student , so maybe this is why , or who knows , I wish they provide some explanations. 

Yes I got the same one and came here to share! Your stats are so good though, I wonder what the issue was. It was definitely a reach school for me, I have a lower sGPA so I understand why I didnt get it. Just want to wish everyone else good luck! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clarbd said:

Yes I got the same one and came here to share! Your stats are so good though, I wonder what the issue was. It was definitely a reach school for me, I have a lower sGPA so I understand why I didnt get it. Just want to wish everyone else good luck! 

I think I am too old ( I am 10 years older then average student ). Plus I forgot to post a prove  of my shadowing into CASPA until recently. I did apply to 11 schools , 2 is out... hoping for the best . Good luck to all of you ?

PS Rutgers was not my first choice any way .... so it is okay :).