Rutgers 2018-2019 Application Cycle

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I submitted my application to CASPA and got verified for Rutgers University on May 21st. Got confirmation email the next day . 

My science GPA is 4.0 and over all 3.97. I have BAS. Over 8000 hr in direct patient care . I really hope to get to interview with them . No interview invitation yet . How about you all ? Did anyone got interview invitation/date? 

Good luck to you all ! 

Edited by YGrabo

33 minutes ago, Earlthe said:

@YGrabo They applied about a month before you did, I'm sure you'll be in the next batch of interviews

Unfortunately, they send me email where they said this : “

Dear Yuliya Grabo:

The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application to the Rutgers University Physician Assistant Program.  The applicant pool is incredibly competitive this year.  We regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you an interview for further consideration.

We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
Admissions Committee”

I have applied to 8 schools , so far two is out . Hopping for the best ! I am out of state student , so maybe this is why , or who knows , I wish they provide some explanations. 

14 minutes ago, dgeddam said:

Just got invited for an interview as well! My interview date is for Thursday, July 19th ? Anyone else going to be there?

Congratulations! Best of luck on interview!!! Could you please share your GPA, HCE... ? I am just so unsure why they would not even consider me for interview. I believ I had everything they were looking for, besides that I am out of stat and older then average student . 

Edited by YGrabo

3 minutes ago, YGrabo said:

Congratulations! Best of luck on interview!!! Could you please share your GPA, HCE... ? I am just so unsure why they would not even consider me for interview. I believ I had everything they were looking for, besides that I am out of stat and older then average student . 

Thank you so much! Means a lot ? These were my stats:

Degree: Neuroscience B.S. Psychology Minor 

Science GPA: 3.41

Cumulative Undergrad: 3.6

Hours: Almost 2000 patient care hours as a medical assistant and volunteer EMT. Almost 400 hours of healthcare experience as receptionist/medical assistant.

Leadership/Work Experience: Worked as a resident advisor at my university in an international dorm, vice president of programming for panhellenic executive council at my university, worked as a tutor for 4+ years, volunteered as an assistant english teacher in india at a small rural village school, numerous hours volunteering through my sorority, worked as a personal trainer, conducted a behavioral neuroscience research study my senior year of college and presented it at three different symposiums/conferences 

Shadowing: Almost 40 hours shadowing a variety of PAs: orthopedic, plastic surgery, family medicine, etc. 

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from a PA I shadowed, 1 from my boss (chiropractor) at my medical assistant job, 1 from my research mentor/professor, and 1 from my physics professor 

Hope this helps! I was CASPA verified by Rutgers on 5/7

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YGrabo said:

What type of healthcare experience do you have?  

8 minutes ago, allthingspa said:

What type of healthcare experience do you have?  

I worked over 5 years at Sarasota Memorial Hospital . 3 years as a Patient Care Tech on ortho unit , and 2 years at NICU as a MST. Attend surgery , did placenta drawings , assisted with intubation of infants etc. I am currently volunteering at the same hospital at Cape surgery center . 

All I can think I am too old (37yo), and I am a mom of 2y.o. Maybe they thought it is too much . 

18 minutes ago, YGrabo said:

I worked over 5 years at Sarasota Memorial Hospital . 3 years as a Patient Care Tech on ortho unit , and 2 years at NICU as a MST. Attend surgery , did placenta drawings , assisted with intubation of infants etc. I am currently volunteering at the same hospital at Cape surgery center . 

All I can think I am too old (37yo), and I am a mom of 2y.o. Maybe they thought it is too much . 

do you have shadowing and volunteer hours? Did you get the appropriate letters of rec? How was your PS. Maybe they were just looking for a different type of applicant, idk, I'm sure you'll get interviews this cycle tho

1 minute ago, Earlthe said:

do you have shadowing and volunteer hours? Did you get the appropriate letters of rec? How was your PS. Maybe they were just looking for a different type of applicant, idk, I'm sure you'll get interviews this cycle tho

What is PS? 

I am currently volunteering at the hospital and have been for the past year. 5 letters of recommendation :2 from two PAs I have shadowed , one from researcher Dr. of Dermotalogy ( Yale university), 1 from Professor ( chemistry ) , and 1 from Doctor I worked with at NICU . 

1 hour ago, YGrabo said:

I saw your other stats on a different thread. You have awesome grades too. I didn’t think PA schools had a problem with age though. Dang, you definitely deserved an interview there, not sure what the problem was. 

Just now, allthingspa said:

I saw your other stats on a different thread. You have awesome grades too. I didn’t think PA schools had a problem with age though. Dang, you definitely deserved an interview there, not sure what the problem was. 

Me ether . I asked them to clarifying , don’t know if they will . Good luck to all of you ! Yes my GPA 3.97 and Sciens 4.0. Go figure ! 

14 minutes ago, Earlthe said:

Maybe your prereqs expired?

Couple of them are a bit old (4-5 years ) but a lot of them were compleated within last year .

well I have 6 more schools to answer and planing to apply to couple more . Fingers crossed . 

Edited by YGrabo
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ms123 said:

I also got an invite to interview! Date of interview still to come. Got verified 5/7, app received 5/11. 

What were your credentials? I don't have a great GPA but I was an athlete and am a dual major with a minor and am hoping that helps me a bit. I got sick with Lyme Disease so my GPA suffered and dropped from a 3.6 to a 3.2 after a 2.0 semester ?