Western 2018-2019 Application Cycle

I got in!! I'm so excited to meet everyone. 

If anyone would like some tips or any help I can give please feel free to message me and I'll be as detailed as possible! I know what it feels like to want help and I'm so grateful for those that have helped me. So I'd be honored to pay it forward. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Bettyolazabal said:

I got accepted! Walked out of that interview thinking about how much more I could have said! I wasn’t expecting this but so thankful and so excited! 😁

14 hours ago, jdf1019 said:

I got accepted!

15 hours ago, docsls6 said:

It posted about five minutes ago. I was accepted! Looking forward to seeing some of you soon!

15 hours ago, Mojpa said:

I was just accepted! No email update but it is on the portal. Looking forward to meeting my new classmates and good luck to everyone 🙂

Hello, 

Congrats on getting accepted! Do you guys have any tips for the interview? I'm really introverted and shy and worried that my interview, if granted one, won't be great. Any tips, tricks, or advice will help! A

43 minutes ago, thehopefulprepa said:

Hello, 

Congrats on getting accepted! Do you guys have any tips for the interview? I'm really introverted and shy and worried that my interview, if granted one, won't be great. Any tips, tricks, or advice will help! A

My best advice is learn to fake it and that is going to require you to work with the public. You aren't going to be an effective provider if you are shy. I was shy and introverted through High School and through many years of working in retail management can fake it with the best of them. I still prefer chilling at home versus partying on the weekends but you would never think watching me interact with people that I had ever been either of those traits. If you are confident you cannot eventually overcome being shy but still want to help people in medicine I would look into research based medicine. Good luck to you!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, thehopefulprepa said:

Hello, 

The way I went about it was to have a bunch of stories thought out that I can use as examples to show any trait I feel made me a good fit for the program. Also, remember to always tie your answer back to 'why YOU are a good fit for PA school.' This avoids you just rambling off when you give responses. Being shy and an introvert isn't something to feel worried about. That's who you are! But when you do get an interview, remind yourself how much you want it. You can be shy and still have an amazing personality that you can show through the stories/examples of things that you have been through, either at work or in your personal life. Look up interview questions and relate your answer to a personal example. GOOD LUCK! 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, thehopefulprepa said:

Hello, 

One thing that really helped me get out of my shell was my PCE experience. I was kind of forced out of my shell and forced to talk to people who come from so many walks of life. By the time interviews came along, it wasn’t too bad. They really do expect you to be yourself and to show them that you’ll be a good fit for their program!

• Like 1

Guyyyyysss! I will be joining you all this fall! I’m so excited for this journey with you all. I want to give it back and I’m willing to do free mock interviews for whoever wants to practice! I’m no professional but I do know what works and doesn’t work as I actually did a mock interview after my western interview! Please message me! 

• Like 4

Accepted in January =]

I look forward to meeting everyone and embarking on this crazy journey for next two years with this cohort!

I,as well,  am more than happy to help anyone who has any questions about interviewing or just the whole process haha

I have been wait-listed, rejected, and accepted early so I have some experience on every level.

One thing straight off the bat, THERE IS MORE STRESS THAT WE (PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS) PUT ON OURSELVES THAN WE NEED TO. Interviewing, overall, is just an opportunity to show your organic self. Getting caught up in all of the forums, the most common interview questions, mock interviews, is good prep but is also an avenue of creating more stress and anxiety. BE yourself, you know why you want to be a PA, you know what you've done to get yourself there, and you know the blood sweat and tears you have put in to earn an interview opportunity. Show/tell them that, maybe crack a joke (if warranted, feel out the audience haha)  and that is what makes the difference. 

One of my nemesis the previous cycle was getting too caught up in all the the prep work of what I should do and mock interviews and what not to say ... this year I promised myself that if not for anything else I was going to be genuine and me. That tactic came through. 

Either way, congrats to those accepted!

For those that have heard otherwise use the experience to fuel your fire the next time around. We all can become our own worst critic but take it as a learning experience and kill it next cycle.   Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts. - W. Churchill

Nothing is impossible because the word itself says IM- possible.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have been reading a lot of your comments and I really feel your joy and pain.  For those,like myself who were accepted congratulations, and for those still trying, keep your head up dont be discouraged.  My advice, if anyone cares, is to practice your interview questions with a medical professional (Mine was my aunt, who is an ER Nurse).  She was really tough on me, we examined everything and I MEAN everything, from the way I sat to the way to I breathe, she was so tough.  We used 2 book that I bought from amazon, Physician Assistant School Interview guide: Tips, Tricks, and Techniques to Impress your Interviewers by Savannah Perry and How to ace the physician Assistant Interview by Andrew Rodican.  To be entirely honest, I liked the book by Savannah Perry better, she is a younger PA with fresh Intel on what interviews really look for. Her information was accurate and I really enjoyed reading her book.  Perry had a way of giving you advice based on her own experience but also in the form of stories.  Maybe it was just me, but I really liked her book and I think I read it in like 4 days ( while doing 12hrs shifts lol) Rodican had great information but it seemed a bit dry.  Sorry for the novel everyone, but I felt like I needed to share, this is an important time in all our lives, I know every bit of advice counts. Best of luck to all.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations to those accepted! I also want to shout out to those who were placed on the alternate list because there's still a chance! For those not accepted this year, do not be discouraged! This was my second year applying and my second time interviewing with WesternU. The first year, I was on the alternate list an, ultimately, not chosen. On March 14, 2019 I was offered an alternate list position, which I accepted. Only 12 days later, I received an offer of admission. I did not expect that to happen so soon!! I am super stoked to begin this journey. I will be moving from just next door (Arizona) and I look forward to meeting my new classmates!!!!

34 minutes ago, tiffamber said:

Congratulations to those accepted! I also want to shout out to those who were placed on the alternate list because there's still a chance! For those not accepted this year, do not be discouraged! This was my second year applying and my second time interviewing with WesternU. The first year, I was on the alternate list an, ultimately, not chosen. On March 14, 2019 I was offered an alternate list position, which I accepted. Only 12 days later, I received an offer of admission. I did not expect that to happen so soon!! I am super stoked to begin this journey. I will be moving from just next door (Arizona) and I look forward to meeting my new classmates!!!!

Congrats! This was my first year applying. I was also originally placed on the alternate list, but last Friday (the 29th) I got my letter of acceptance. What day did you interview? I'm curious if any of my fellow interviewees are going to be my new classmates. Good luck with your move!

1 hour ago, KFRRose said:

Congrats! This was my first year applying. I was also originally placed on the alternate list, but last Friday (the 29th) I got my letter of acceptance. What day did you interview? I'm curious if any of my fellow interviewees are going to be my new classmates. Good luck with your move!

Thank you! I'm currently browsing now at places. It's very exciting, but a bit stressful too! I interviewed on November 15th. Congratulations to you as well!!

Hi! I’ve officially accepted my seat to Western! I’m from NYC and i’m so excited to meet everyone! Congratulations to all accepted and to those who were not, don’t give up! This was my second application cycle - stay strong and stay true to your dreams!

Edited by RTVPA