Western 2018-2019 Application Cycle

7 hours ago, AshleyE said:

I received an interview invite today. I scheduled it for January 16th because the dates in October and November were filled.

I just wanted to verify again that this program does not utilize a rolling admissions process? I could not find the specification of this on their website.

Also, how many programs did you apply to/heard back from regarding your status?

When I went to the preview day this past spring, they said they do utilize rolling admissions. I'm not sure if they changed that? 

Congrats on the interview! 

1 minute ago, biopsyd said:

To those of you who got interview invites, did anyone submit the application a bit later in the cycle (July-August)? 

Congrats to everyone who got interview invites! Good luck! 

I submitted my application in late July! Then in mid August, they told me to resend my official transcripts into CASPA before they can review my application, which I turned in immediately when they told me. 1 week later, they said my application is under review.

I received an interview today @8AM.

sGPA: 3.9

overall GPA: 3.9

PCE: 1500 hrs

shadowing: 100 hrs 

good luck! 

• Like 1

Heyooo got my invite as well for October 10! January 15 was the only one available when I first opened it up,  but I waited a few hours and then October suddenly opened up? Hope to meet of you guys, hopefully future classmates. 

Overall: 3.72

Science: 3.57

Non-science: 3.92

2000+ HCE (Nurse) 

250 PCE (Monitor Tech/Unit Clerk) 

Edited by Draconisnewt
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, biopsyd said:

When I went to the preview day this past spring, they said they do utilize rolling admissions. I'm not sure if they changed that? 

Congrats on the interview! 

Thanks for the info! Has anyone else attending a preview day and heard the same thing? There was a post earlier that said they don't. I'm just wondering if I should try to reschedule my interview to an earlier date if they do utilize rolling admissions. ?

For those of you who have had interviews already this summer, how did those go?

I had my first one September 4th. It wasn't as bad as I thought! ? 

13 hours ago, biopsyd said:

To those of you who got interview invites, did anyone submit the application a bit later in the cycle (July-August)? 

Congrats to everyone who got interview invites! Good luck! 

I submitted at the beginning of July.

My stats are pretty average.

Major: Biology

Overall GPA: 3.52

Science GPA: 3.53

PCE: >5000 (MA for >3.5 years)

Volunteer: I've been a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters since April of 2017. I volunteered in Bali, Indonesia in 2016. I also gave children and adults in rural communities the opportunity to participate in dance shows that our local dance company put on.  

I think what really got them was my personal statement, LORs (2 from PAs, 1 from the head neurosurgeon/owner of the spine clinic we work at, and 1 from my genetics professor), and volunteer hours. I am passionate about community service! ?

Edited by AshleyE
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AshleyE said:

Good luck to you! ? How was the previous interview process? I'm sure you'll do great!

Thank you! It was a good. Same multiple mini interview format. I don't believe they provided that information last cycle, so it's good that they did this time when accepting the invite. I did the tour afterwards and then got to sit with first and second year students to ask them questions.

On 9/10/2018 at 11:21 AM, AshleyE said:

I received an interview invite today. I scheduled it for January 16th because the dates in October and November were filled.

I just wanted to verify again that this program does not utilize a rolling admissions process? I could not find the specification of this on their website.

Also, how many programs did you apply to/heard back from regarding your status?

I went to their preview day in August and they do not utilize a rolling admissions process. They do however utilize a rolling process for the interview invites, but I was told that they will not send out acceptances until everyone has been interviewed.

Edited by TiVo91
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TiVo91 said:

I went to their preview day in August and they do not utilize a rolling admissions process. They do however utilize a rolling process for the interview invites, but I was told that they will not send out acceptances until everyone has been interviewed.

Thank you for the info! So if I'm understanding correctly, they only have a certain number of interview slots available and those are first come first serve?

On 9/12/2018 at 12:09 AM, KatherineLee said:

Congrats to everyone who received an interview! I will be applying next year and was wondering if those that received an interview can comment on if they took organic with or without a lab and if they took biochem?

Also, wondering when everyone submitted their app that has received an interview so far? 

THANKS GUYS! 

I took organic chemistry I and II, both with labs. I also took biochemistry, but without lab. I submitted my app May 14th.

On 8/9/2018 at 8:45 PM, applicant24 said:

Is it through their website? I got the prereq worksheet part down, but do you make an account then upload that to the supplemental? 

Also- did you attach the syllabus for any classes that were not listed? Is this something that would be make it/break it. (should I make sure its done properly or kind of wait and see if they ask for a syllabus) 

I would make sure you attach the syllabus, because it is required. The course they wanted one for I took six years ago and they accepted a newer syllabus for it since it was the only one available.