2018-2019 Stony Brook Application Thread

Hi all! I'm interviewing in the AM session on September 15th - has anyone tried to reserve a room at the hotel (Stony Brook Holiday Inn Express) they provided in the email they sent us? I was wondering how much the room costs and if it would be better to just book an airbnb closeby.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, PAgirl2019 said:

Offered an interview for December 6. I am so excited.

2 hours ago, tiffmd94 said:

Good luck!! I hope all goes amazing!! ? 

Just a question for you regarding reference letters -- I currently have 2 MDs and 1 academic provider. Does Stony Brook require 1 letter from a PA? It doesn't specify on their website. Just says "Three references."

If not, my application is pretty much set to be sent if a reference letter from a PA isn't mandatory! I have been trying so hard this past year to find a PA to shadow but unfortunately, the places I have reached out to don't allow it (bummer, I know!). The urgent I work for has PAs but the site I am in does not have them on staff due to low volume ?

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated!

Hi, 

I didn't have a PA but I had an MD and a NP as recommendations. I don't think they need specifically if they don't list it. I still got an interview in October! 

2 hours ago, mivhax said:

Hi all! I'm interviewing in the AM session on September 15th - has anyone tried to reserve a room at the hotel (Stony Brook Holiday Inn Express) they provided in the email they sent us? I was wondering how much the room costs and if it would be better to just book an airbnb closeby.

I reserved a room, with code its about 120/night

4 hours ago, tiffmd94 said:

Just a question for you regarding reference letters -- I currently have 2 MDs and 1 academic provider. Does Stony Brook require 1 letter from a PA? It doesn't specify on their website. Just says "Three references."

If not, my application is pretty much set to be sent if a reference letter from a PA isn't mandatory! I have been trying so hard this past year to find a PA to shadow but unfortunately, the places I have reached out to don't allow it (bummer, I know!). The urgent I work for has PAs but the site I am in does not have them on staff due to low volume ?

Hello, I'm sorry you had issues finding PAs to shadow. For recommendation letters I did have a physician assistant write me one. If there isn't a specific requirement from Stony Brook about having a physician assistant write you a letter of recommendation  then I would still apply. You just never know what these schools are looking for. Every school I have noticed has specific things they are looking for. If you fit their description to be a potential student, then that is all that matters. Goodluck to you?.

20 minutes ago, PAgirl2019 said:

Hello, I'm sorry you had issues finding PAs to shadow. For recommendation letters I did have a physician assistant write me one. If there isn't a specific requirement from Stony Brook about having a physician assistant write you a letter of recommendation  then I would still apply. You just never know what these schools are looking for. Every school I have noticed has specific things they are looking for. If you fit their description to be a potential student, then that is all that matters. Goodluck to you?.

Thank you! Best of luck on your interview!!

1 hour ago, cgold13 said:

Hi, 

I didn't have a PA but I had an MD and a NP as recommendations. I don't think they need specifically if they don't list it. I still got an interview in October! 

Knowing this makes me feel a bit less stressed haha. I'm very interested in Stony Brook's program so I'm hoping they'll give me a chance to interview! Thank you for responding. If you don't mind me asking, what was your timeline between sending in your CASPA app, verification, up until hearing from the program? I'm afraid I might be too late, but of course will send it in anyway!

Best of luck to you on your interview! Wishing nothing but good news and vibes your way! ?

46 minutes ago, tiffmd94 said:

Knowing this makes me feel a bit less stressed haha. I'm very interested in Stony Brook's program so I'm hoping they'll give me a chance to interview! Thank you for responding. If you don't mind me asking, what was your timeline between sending in your CASPA app, verification, up until hearing from the program? I'm afraid I might be too late, but of course will send it in anyway!

Best of luck to you on your interview! Wishing nothing but good news and vibes your way! ?

Yeah I wouldn't be stressed, I think having two doctors is just as impressive.

I sent my CASPA in the day it opened in April. The secondary came and I sent it in early june but it got lost and they emailed me about wanted to interview me but not having the supplemental. So I emailed them it on June 26 and they got back to me with an interview date the next day! They respond efficiently. 

I wish you the best of luck:) Let me know if you have any more questions I can help out with!

12 hours ago, asar13 said:

Does anyone know what the interview format is?

This is what the invitation email says, but I'd love any additional information anyone may have as well. Stony Brook is my top choice. "As a candidate, you will be required to attend a group orientation and two individual interviews.  Following the group orientation, refreshments will be served and first and second year students will be available to address questions you may have about the program from the student perspective."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kittycat
12 hours ago, PAgirl2019 said:

If anyone would like to meet up a day before the December 6th interview, send me a message so we could find a place to meet. I am still speechless about the interview. 

Hi,

I would like to meet up with you before the December 6th interview! Just message me! Also, congrats! :D

Guest Kittycat
On 7/20/2018 at 3:28 PM, tiffmd94 said:

Hello,

I understand the frustration on finding a PA to shadow. Have you tried joining the AAPA membership for Pre-PA students? It has helped me a lot with shadowing. Also, the following link has helped me increased my PA shadowing hours: https://pashadowonline.com! Hope these suggestions help!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kittycat
On 8/29/2018 at 7:11 AM, whitecoatrosegold said:

It was almost immediate.The link to the supplemental should be in your receipt email once you pay, which isn't very clear when you do haha.

Check your spam folder as well. It could be in there. Best of luck! ?

10 hours ago, cmlPA said:

Interviewing 9/15 AM session, and attending the SH tour on  9/14. Received my confirmation for the times yesterday.

Congrats and good luck!! Was the tour information part of your AM/PM session confirmation email? Im interviewing on 10/18 and I've responded with preference for PM session, haven't received any more emails and didn't know about any tours the day prior. Just keep waiting, I'm assuming? 

58 minutes ago, lizgenis said:

Congrats and good luck!! Was the tour information part of your AM/PM session confirmation email? Im interviewing on 10/18 and I've responded with preference for PM session, haven't received any more emails and didn't know about any tours the day prior. Just keep waiting, I'm assuming? 

11 hours ago, cmlPA said:

Interviewing 9/15 AM session, and attending the SH tour on  9/14. Received my confirmation for the times yesterday.

I'm assuming SH means South Hampton? I'm assuming 10/18 interviewees will be getting emails in about a month confirming their attendance?

Archived