UNTHSC 2018-2019 Application Cycle

On 8/6/2018 at 8:33 AM, egrace said:

Has anyone gone to the PA Open House at UNT? I'm contemplating it to maybe get a better feel for the program prior to interviews, however, I don't want to go through the same thing both times. 

Hey! I went to it last year and found it very helpful, but it is mostly the same information presented at the interview. You can actually access the powerpoint if you don't want to make an extra trip: 

https://www.unthsc.edu/school-of-health-professions/physician-assistant-studies/information-sessions/

On 8/6/2018 at 8:33 AM, egrace said:

Has anyone gone to the PA Open House at UNT? I'm contemplating it to maybe get a better feel for the program prior to interviews, however, I don't want to go through the same thing both times. 

I will be going but more so to show my interest in the program. I figure it doesn’t hurt to show your face as much as possible. It’s just a quick 20 minute drive for me through which makes it easy. 

On 8/10/2018 at 12:25 PM, lctexas4 said:

I will be going but more so to show my interest in the program. I figure it doesn’t hurt to show your face as much as possible. It’s just a quick 20 minute drive for me through which makes it easy. 

Yeah, if I lived that close it would be a no brainer. But unfortunately I am in Houston, though my family is in DFW so I have a place to stay. I know alot of the information will be the same for the open house and the interview, but I guess I'm curious if, since the open house is much lower stress than an interview, I might get a better representation of the school. Last years thread mentioned that they got a wierd vibe about hte program on interview day due to the nature of it being high stress. I guess we'll see, so I may or may not see you there!

• Like 1

Guest physasst3
7 hours ago, Jonathon1 said:

Has anyone else applied in early June and have still not heard back?

I applied early to mid June and I haven't received anything so far. Hopefully, they'll get back to us soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I am looking for some feedback. I just received my denial email and am so disappointed and confused. I felt that I was a strong candidate and was hopeful for an interview. Here are my stats: 

I am an occupational therapist with 17 years experience. 

Science GPA 3.94

Overall GPA 3.81

GRE 160 verbal 148 Quant and 4.0 AW

Volunteer- homeless shelter, board member for a non-profit and international medical mission trip ~ 200 hours 

PA shadowing 175 hrs

Leadership hours 6000 hrs

Teaching 600 (clinical instructor for OT students)

I had 5 LOR- 2 former supervisors, a PA and MD that I did shadowing with and my chemistry professor. I believe  that all the LORs were very positive. I had several people (PAs and doctors) read my personal statement and received positive feedback. 

I do not know what more I can do... any ideas? This is my first time applying. Thanks for any input you have. 

11 minutes ago, JenBrook said:

Hi everyone! I am looking for some feedback. I just received my denial email and am so disappointed and confused. I felt that I was a strong candidate and was hopeful for an interview. Here are my stats: 

Science GPA 3.94

Overall GPA 3.81

Volunteer- homeless shelter, board member for a non-profit and international medical mission trip ~ 200 hours 

PA shadowing 175 hrs

I had 5 LOR- 2 former supervisors, a PA and MD that I did shadowing with and my chemistry professor. I believe  that all the LORs were very positive. I had several people (PAs and doctors) read my personal statement and received positive feedback. 

I do not know what more I can do... any ideas? This is my first time applying. Thanks for any input you have. 

Hey girl! You have stellar stats. Did you have any C’s in prerequisite courses?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aspiring__PA said:

Hey girl! You have stellar stats. Did you have any C’s in prerequisite courses?

Thanks! 4.0 in all prequisites except a B in intro psychology ( took that in 1990). I have all As in the 8 psych courses I took since then. I am working to complete immunology and should be done in a couple of months. 

3 hours ago, JenBrook said:

Science GPA 3.94

Overall GPA 3.81

PA shadowing 175 hrs

I'm sorry to hear about the rejection. Honestly your stats are really awesome, so this makes me feel less hopeful haha.

Try not to let it get you down, just keep moving forward. Hopefully you will hear back from other schools!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, JenBrook said:

Science GPA 3.94

Overall GPA 3.81

PA shadowing 175 hrs

Obviously your stats and experiences are great. However, some schools try to build certain types of classes, and it might just be that your background wouldn't be the right "fit". This is only speculation, but I wouldn't worry too much since your stats are so good. I am certain that another program would be happy to have you. All in all, I am sorry to hear about the bad news! 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, JenBrook said:

Science GPA 3.94

Overall GPA 3.81

PA shadowing 175 hrs

Your stats are awesome! How long ago did you take your prereqs? That might be a factor

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, wannabepac said:

Your stats are awesome! How long ago did you take your prereqs? That might be a factor

Thank You! For another school I am applying to, there is a 10 year limit on prerequisites so took A&P, microbiology, all the chemistry classes, stats, college algebra and genetics again (within the last 1-2 years). The only class I did not retake was intro psychology. I am in the process of completing immunology now. I went back to school and took about 50 hours of prerequisites in the last 2 years just to apply ?

My prerequisites are 4.0 with the exception of intro psych (B) from 1990- I did not retake that one.  I will have immunology finished by the deadline. Thanks for your time and input. I truly appreciate it!

1 hour ago, Cblaze1 said:

Obviously your stats and experiences are great. However, some schools try to build certain types of classes, and it might just be that your background wouldn't be the right "fit". This is only speculation, but I wouldn't worry too much since your stats are so good. I am certain that another program would be happy to have you. All in all, I am sorry to hear about the bad news! 

Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it! I am definitely going to keep pushing forward. ?

15 hours ago, kjime002 said:

I'm sorry to hear about the rejection. Honestly your stats are really awesome, so this makes me feel less hopeful haha.

Try not to let it get you down, just keep moving forward. Hopefully you will hear back from other schools!

Thank you for your feedback. We are all putting our best foot forward and need to keep going. It was disheartening for sure. Thanks for your kind words:)

1 hour ago, JenBrook said:

Thank you for your feedback. We are all putting our best foot forward and need to keep going. It was disheartening for sure. Thanks for your kind words:)

Hi Jen,

I feel your pain. I was rejected without an interview as well when I thought I was a strong applicant. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.56

sGPA: 3.45

GRE: 158v, 153q, 4w

HCE: aprox. 3200

PCE: almost 15000 doing ultrasound for almost 8 years

Volunteer hours: 278(146 of these hours were listed under Leadership, and 32 listed under PCE, 100 hours during 2 medical mission trips)

Shadowing: 60 hours (2 specialties)

3 LOR: 1 MD, 1PA, 1 teacher

I initially thought my GPA wasn't good enough for them, however, your GPA disproves my theory because it's awesome and you still got rejected. I am unsure of what class they are trying to build. I know they have extended invitations to applicants with little to no PCE. It appears that they don't put much stock into PCE but I wish I knew what is it that they are looking for. 

I say that you have a really strong application and any school would be lucky to have you. Good luck!

22 hours ago, KrebsCycle said:

Hi Jen,

I feel your pain. I was rejected without an interview as well when I thought I was a strong applicant. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.56

sGPA: 3.45

GRE: 158v, 153q, 4w

HCE: aprox. 3200

PCE: almost 15000 doing ultrasound for almost 8 years

Volunteer hours: 278(146 of these hours were listed under Leadership, and 32 listed under PCE, 100 hours during 2 medical mission trips)

Shadowing: 60 hours (2 specialties)

3 LOR: 1 MD, 1PA, 1 teacher

I initially thought my GPA wasn't good enough for them, however, your GPA disproves my theory because it's awesome and you still got rejected. I am unsure of what class they are trying to build. I know they have extended invitations to applicants with little to no PCE. It appears that they don't put much stock into PCE but I wish I knew what is it that they are looking for. 

I say that you have a really strong application and any school would be lucky to have you. Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback and kind words. I really appreciate it. I am not giving up, that is for sure!! Keep your head up! Good luck with the other schools :)))

Guest physasst3

I was reading last year's forum and I saw that someone commented on that if you have a C in your transcript, you won't get accepted if you get an interview. Anyone have some insight?

Edited by physasst3

2 hours ago, physasst3 said:

I was reading last year's forum and I saw that someone commented on that if you have a C in your transcript, you won't get accepted if you get an interview. Anyone have some insight?

At the informational, this was specifically asked and basically the answer was if you have a C in a prerequisite course, they wonder whether you could handle the rigors of the program. I got the feeling they’re a little bit more open to if you got a C in some other course, but maybe not. I’m not gonna say it never happens, but if you can prove that you can handle the program through other means, then they may not be as quick to count you out. And if you have an interview, I’d say that’s a good sign because as was stated, I doubt they’d waste an interview on someone they knew they weren’t going to accept!

Edited by egrace

6 hours ago, physasst3 said:

I have a C in a prerequisite and I’m interviewing in two weeks. I went to the open house and specifically asked Felicity, “after a candidate interviews and the faculty meets to discuss acceptances, do they review the candidate’s CASPA AND interview, or do they go strictly off the interview?” And she told me, “once you’re granted an interview, the faculty believes you are on paper what they’re looking for and able to handle the rigors of the program. They base their decision solely off the interview at that point.” 

That’s what I was told and I don’t know why she’d lie. And I agree, why would they grant an interview to someone they definitely wouldn’t accept. I as well was very very worried about the C. Guess we’ll have to see what happens.