UTMB 2018-2019 Admissions Cycle

To add to what the poster above me has said, it is true we're going through a transitional time at this moment. It's true that school is stressful and challenging, and that we were recently told by one of our beloved faculty members that they have accepted a position in a different state. 

What I think is unfair to say is that we are getting a poor quality education. UTMB has consistently produced graduates who are very highly respected in the area and have no troubles passing the PANCE. At times we are expected to teach ourselves, but that's just grad school. You won't always have a clinician practicing for 30 years in the subject you're being taught. Sometimes you get a gastroenterologist teaching micro topics because it's what is available. 

Additionally, it's unfair to expect any program to spoonfeed you info like in undergrad. As lifelong learners now, it is time we commit to independent acquisition of knowledge.

Speaking for myself personally, I do not feel negatively impacted in terms of my education. I'm performing well and have seen no clinical detriments as of yet. UTMB has had its areas that need improvement, but I am confident that those detriments are being looked at and fixed. 

I would be cautious in taking one anonymous opinion given on a forum like this. The above poster or my own. It's a stressful time of the semester and curriculum, and it's easy to vent frustrations online.

Edit: Additionally, I have no conflicts of interest to disclose. I am neither a class officer nor otherwise in a position to officially represent the program. Just a humble student passing through.

Edited by EnterobacterJim
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, EnterobacterJim said:

To add to what the poster above me has said, it is true we're going through a transitional time at this moment. It's true that school is stressful and challenging, and that we were recently told by one of our beloved faculty members that they have accepted a position in a different state. 

What I think is unfair to say is that we are getting a poor quality education. UTMB has consistently produced graduates who are very highly respected in the area and have no troubles passing the PANCE. At times we are expected to teach ourselves, but that's just grad school. You won't always have a clinician practicing for 30 years in the subject you're being taught. Sometimes you get a gastroenterologist teaching micro topics because it's what is available. 

Additionally, it's unfair to expect any program to spoonfeed you info like in undergrad. As lifelong learners now, it is time we commit to independent acquisition of knowledge.

Speaking for myself personally, I do not feel negatively impacted in terms of my education. I'm performing well and have seen no clinical detriments as of yet. UTMB has had its areas that need improvement, but I am confident that those detriments are being looked at and fixed. 

I would be cautious in taking one anonymous opinion given on a forum like this. The above poster or my own. It's a stressful time of the semester and curriculum, and it's easy to vent frustrations online.

To be clear, you are always going to need to teach yourself (to some degree) in a graduate program. That you would be "spoonfed" is not my implication at all. The self teaching honestly isn't even the problem, considering I'm learning a ton and doing very well. I just think we could be getting a better education. 

And I think any applicant who has other options should check those other options out before cancelling interviews. People deserve to actually know what kind of program this really is. 

Our lectures are often outdated, professors don't know answers to questions about the topics they are teaching, professors show up to class with no lecture prepared (and then threaten to punish us by taking away recordings of the lectures...), etc. I could go on and on. 

To be clear: nothing is being fixed yet. A new chair is coming in December and that is when we will see whether or not things really change; I sincerely hope they do. 

My original post and this post are neither out of stress nor frustration, nor am I venting. I am passing along information that I wish would have been passed along to me and am simply suggesting students go to other interviews at other schools in addition to interviewing with UTMB. 

Again, good luck everyone. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

i understand that UTMB is on probation right now but in terms of the entering class, would we be affected by that ? I know they're supposed to get reviewed again next year some time and if we get accepted now and they lose their accreditation before the new class starts in july 2019, would we not be graduating from an accredited program?

• Upvote 1

In addition to Entero Jim and Random, I interviewed there recently and was accepted. My opinion is:

Pros: 

25 month long program, tuition is more then reasonable

connection to Texas Medical Center is a huge plus

20% of PAs end up in a surgical sub specialty, but there are two schools (tech and unt) that do not offer cadavers for dissection on campus (Tech has a location in Lubbock the students travel to every two weeks, and unt has prosecuted cadavers)

utmb has full disection lab

utmb has a lot of heritage and strong tradition, a few bad years means nothing, UTMB is still VERY well respected for their PA school as well as their med school

pa program now falls under medical school dean, as opposed to school of health professions, the difference being med school dean has 1.medical school and 2. Pa school to worry about, compared to school of health prof having pt,nurse, etc etc etc

5 of the last 8 years has 100% pance pass rate, this is a bottom line

great close options for clinicals... Houston 

also when has college education ever not been student driven? The professors were only there to facilitate the knowledge transfer, not actually teach. I spent my first two years of undergrad pissed off because of lazy professors, until I realized they aren’t there to teach, only to facilitate, the teaching is on you

Cons:

galveston smells like mold

the faculty could be more inviting, it didn’t seem like they rolled out the red carpet like the other schools... this is kind of stupid but every other school offered lunch

one of the students said the current interim director is almost never there, and hasn’t seen him in 3 months 

Galveston smells like mold

as far as accreditation, if you get into school this year probation doesn’t matter, you’re still 100% gonna get certified

Bottom line is you want to be a PA? If this school offers you a spot take it, like any other program if you like another better, then eat the $500 loss. I would rather go to a bad program for 25 months and have to learn everything myself then get on the job training (90% of applicable knowledge imo) rather then go to a 30 month program, incur more student loans, then graduate and get the same OJT anyways. OR, if you only get into UTMB you can always strengthen your packet for another year and go elsewhere. No one cares what school you went to after you have a year of experience, they only care about the experience. I could go to a foreign school (still accredited though), come back and work a bad area (Chicago/New York) and after a year or two move anywhere and get picked up instantly. 

ill make corrections tomorrow, had a busy day.

Edited by Hopeful2018
  • Like 2

Here's a comparison for you folks from many years past so that you can consider what is, and what used to be.

1)  Program was part of SAHS and program director answered to the SAHS Dean.  The first and second program directors changed out between my first/second years.  Promotion was from inside the program (Richard Rahr).

2)  First year course work was taught by PA faculty, 3rd year IM residents, and anatomy taught by med school professor who later went back to PA school himself.  All dissection performed by a grad student on our two cadavers and we had access to lab 24/7.  Final exam was like something out of Halloween with body parts everywhere with straight pins and flags sticking out of body parts to identify.

3)  Psych taught by a university affiliated clinical psychologist

4) Pharm (one semester and biggest waste of time) was taught by the med school pharm professor

5) All clinical rotations were on campus and you were assigned to a team along with med students.  Exceptions:  Clifton (IM), Victoria (IM), and Texas City (FM).  Only one PA student to a team, though off-site rotations as listed would sometimes have two students go out at a time.

6) One class with med students (Intro to Clinical Medicine) and that was in the spring of first year.  Med students would score 80-90's on Saturday morning exams and we'd get 60-70's on ours and grades were curved for us.

7) All professors were accessible and just about all would attend class parties.  Personally, I would visit one post-graduation on several occasions and even worked for their spouse for a brief period of time.

Eight) What is now known as PANCE was taken by 23 graduating students  and only one didn't pass the initial exam but later aced the follow up.

9) While first and second year students knew one another and occasionally interacted with one another, each class basically stuck to themselves.

10) Here's an idea for the program.  If students don't feel like they're getting decent lectures, how about you turn to your graduates and have us guest lecture?  I'd do it just for the trip back to the island (last visit mid-80's).  There's a lot that one can't help but learn after all these years and I can name two others who I bet would be willing to do the same.  One retired, one semi-retired, and me about to check out.  What else do we have to do?

If a program is as badly managed (currently) as it is rumored to be, the people at the top either don't care or are completely oblivious to the issues.

Although UTMB was at the top on my list for the past 2 years as I have made my journey towards application, interview, and receiving a spot (who can deny it is one of the cheapest programs in TX and probably in the country), I am strongly considering another acceptance because UTMB not only didn't impress me, but it downright disappointed me. I haven’t decided yet because I am still coming to terms with spending another 40k on tuition if I chose another program.

I have attended the open house earlier in the year and of course, I have the interview experience as well. The entire affair had the air of being put together by amateurs. The open house was a mess. The lady that presented (was faculty but no longer appears listed on the website) gave off the impression that she had too much coffee that morning. I prefer people that are cool, calm, collected, and know what they are talking about. The Q&A at the end hardly addressed any questions directly and a few times gave blatantly wrong information. I couldn't help but feel that they had no idea what they were doing. They are coasting on the name and old glory of UTMB and they believe that that is sufficient. 

The interview experience was just OK. Not the worst, but certainly not the best. Trying to sift thru 60 people in a day, to me, shows lack of preparation and not much thought put into the process. The first year students that helped with the day didn't come off as overly enthusiastic and I personally appreciated them being genuine. 

And of course, the accreditation issue. After repeated, insistent questions about the accreditation (both at the open house and during interview day presentation) not once did they address the question head-on. They kept dancing around the issue and it was very frustrating. As applicants, if we have any red flags on our application, we are asked to address them and show how we rectified them or articulate a plan for improvement. Why can't they do the same?

If UTMB is your only interview and your only acceptance, don't sweat it. You will be a PA. If, however, you have a choice, that is when you start looking for "fit”. I believe that's all @randomapplicant is trying to say. Don't make your ultimate choice prematurely. 

As a graduate from another health education program, and one of the best in the country in my field, my personal opinion is that the quality of your education does matter. Getting thru 2 years with the least amount of frustration does matter. Yes, it is true that medicine is a lot of OJT, but you will build so much better if you have a good foundation. Just getting thru it as fast as possible with the least amount of loans is also very appealing. In the end, it is a very personal decision, as only you know what you are willing to put up with short term and long term.  

On 10/19/2018 at 4:28 PM, EnterobacterJim said:

Edit: Additionally, I have no conflicts of interest to disclose. I am neither a class officer nor otherwise in a position to officially represent the program. Just a humble student passing through.

Which faculty member is leaving, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks for sharing your input! 

18 hours ago, Hmhguy95 said:

Have November interview invites gone out yet?

Received one for 11/5 yesterday morning as well. Falls on the same day as another interview. UTMB isn't willing to offer alternate dates, so I will most likely be letting it go. The comments above are a bit concerning as well. 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/340945403364432

Anyone who has been accepted, I went ahead and made a Facebook group for us to connect. If another group from someone at UTMB gets made in January, then I’ll delete mine. I just thought it would be nice to connect with each other in the interim! 

So if you want, add yourself and anyone else you know who was accepted and plans to attend! 

@KrebsCycle @aep22 @wannabepac @abc2018 @Jennifer01 @NimiJain @medelaro @graceandglory @charmalarm @PAseeker2018 @cora123 @Hopeful2018@sp1996

Edited by CDLAPA

Got invited for interview on 11/5. Was concerned about the probation citation per the ARC but y'all seemed to have alleviated those concerns.

Anybody know if UTMB provides an option for elective clinical rotations? My sister in law matriculated through this program awhile back, and she had electives at that time but per their current curriculum does not seem to include it.

For those of you who have questions regarding the accreditation status of UTMB,  I copied this from a post made by one of the recently accepted applicants from this cycle who dug a little deeper on the topic. Hopefully it helps! 

“Accreditation Status Answers!
Sorry about all the new threads, I would just really like for people to see this as I think it’s the hot question.

I spoke with UTMB Galveston and ARC-PA. 
Questions:
If the program were to fail accreditation in June 2019, what does it mean for the class of 2021 (us). 
—- UTMB
Worst case scenario, we would be part of a “phase out”, in that case we would still be allowed to graduate from an accredited school and sit for the PANCE. 
—- ARC PA
Typically a school doesn’t just get shut down, losing accreditation status is typically the last resort. If the school has shown it has taken steps to remedy the situation, but is not up to par yet, we will extend the probationary period for another year or two. 

How likely is it that UTMB loses its accreditation status?
—-UTMB
Very unlikely, we were hit on not having a program director, and not having enough faculty. ******this is a big deal***** the new director is coming in December and he was on the accreditation committee, meaning he knows exactly who to speak with and how to fix the issues. He is also planning on doubling the current faculty from 7-8 to 15. 
—ARC-PA
All of the necessary information has been given to the program director (I assume Dr. Townsend). If there are any questions we recommend asking him.

Basically ARC-PA would not answer any specific questions about any PA school. UTMB made me feel pretty relieved, especially knowing that the new director was on the accreditation committee I don’t see UTMB having any issues. 

Phone Numbers:
Arc-PA
‭(770) 476-1224‬
They won’t answer any specific questions except in writing so..
Email any specifics
Accreditationservices@arc-pa.org

Angela Donnella - Senior Administrative Secretary
‭(409) 772-3048‬

If she doesn’t have your answer she can direct you to who does.”

12 hours ago, CDLAPA said:

For those of you who have questions regarding the accreditation status of UTMB,  I copied this from a post made by one of the recently accepted applicants from this cycle who dug a little deeper on the topic. Hopefully it helps! 

“Accreditation Status Answers!
Sorry about all the new threads, I would just really like for people to see this as I think it’s the hot question.

I spoke with UTMB Galveston and ARC-PA. 
Questions:
If the program were to fail accreditation in June 2019, what does it mean for the class of 2021 (us). 
—- UTMB
Worst case scenario, we would be part of a “phase out”, in that case we would still be allowed to graduate from an accredited school and sit for the PANCE. 
—- ARC PA
Typically a school doesn’t just get shut down, losing accreditation status is typically the last resort. If the school has shown it has taken steps to remedy the situation, but is not up to par yet, we will extend the probationary period for another year or two. 

How likely is it that UTMB loses its accreditation status?
—-UTMB
Very unlikely, we were hit on not having a program director, and not having enough faculty. ******this is a big deal***** the new director is coming in December and he was on the accreditation committee, meaning he knows exactly who to speak with and how to fix the issues. He is also planning on doubling the current faculty from 7-8 to 15. 
—ARC-PA
All of the necessary information has been given to the program director (I assume Dr. Townsend). If there are any questions we recommend asking him.

Basically ARC-PA would not answer any specific questions about any PA school. UTMB made me feel pretty relieved, especially knowing that the new director was on the accreditation committee I don’t see UTMB having any issues. 

Phone Numbers:
Arc-PA
‭(770) 476-1224‬
They won’t answer any specific questions except in writing so..
Email any specifics
Accreditationservices@arc-pa.org

Angela Donnella - Senior Administrative Secretary
‭(409) 772-3048‬

If she doesn’t have your answer she can direct you to who does.”

much obliged