UTMB 2018-2019 Admissions Cycle

On 9/2/2018 at 9:01 PM, EnterobacterJim said:

I'm also a current first year! I'm watching these boards if y'all have q's. 

**Personal opinion ahead**

I think the faculty is running behind this year. They said they were just starting to look at the apps as of a week or two ago. If you received an "under review" it may be that the faculty that's been assigned the stack containing your application just accepted them or in any case has began to look at them. I know a couple said they haven't started yet.

Good luck y'all!

On 8/29/2018 at 8:41 AM, reticentt said:

Hey everyone!

Current first year here at UTMB. Feel free to reach out if y'all have any questions.

I also want to thank you for offering to answer questions and as @ekatiel mentioned, it does seem like the courses are spread out more than some other schools courses which are basically 8-5 M-F! But aside from that, I'm curious as to why you chose this program over others?  Or what you like about this program vs. others you applied to or have heard about? 

Guest physasst3
On 9/2/2018 at 9:01 PM, EnterobacterJim said:

I'm also a current first year! I'm watching these boards if y'all have q's. 

**Personal opinion ahead**

I think the faculty is running behind this year. They said they were just starting to look at the apps as of a week or two ago. If you received an "under review" it may be that the faculty that's been assigned the stack containing your application just accepted them or in any case has began to look at them. I know a couple said they haven't started yet.

Good luck y'all!

Thanks for the info! Do you have an idea when they’ll start interviewing?

16 hours ago, hbanzuelo said:

Hey everyone! So UTMB is currently under accreditation-probation. For those of you already students there or about to interview, what are y'all's opinions about how this accreditation affected your decision in choosing schools?

It didn't impact my decision regarding choosing UTMB. As long as you matriculate to a program that is accredited (probation status or not), you're eligible to sit for the PANCE. The probation status is mostly based on administrative issues. Here's what it says on the ARC-PA website: http://www.arc-pa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Accreditation-Actions-2015S-to-2017July-Prob-only.pdf

We've definitely had a bit of staff turnover over the last few years, but we're also getting a new chair for the PA Studies who starts in December. Our PANCE pass rates have also been excellent (>98%). Can't speak to how they handle clinical rotations/sites since I'm a first year.

2 hours ago, GBFuturePA said:

Invited to interview on September 17th yesterday! Can't wait to meet you all! Does anyone know what kind of interview format they use?

Thanks!

My interview invite letter said "rotating faculty interviews" which sounds like MMI to me, but I went through last year's thread and they said it was traditional. 

12 hours ago, reticentt said:

It didn't impact my decision regarding choosing UTMB. As long as you matriculate to a program that is accredited (probation status or not), you're eligible to sit for the PANCE. The probation status is mostly based on administrative issues. Here's what it says on the ARC-PA website: http://www.arc-pa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Accreditation-Actions-2015S-to-2017July-Prob-only.pdf

We've definitely had a bit of staff turnover over the last few years, but we're also getting a new chair for the PA Studies who starts in December. Our PANCE pass rates have also been excellent (>98%). Can't speak to how they handle clinical rotations/sites since I'm a first year.

Thanks so much for the quick response!! That’s an incredibly high PANCE rate! That’s so reassuring 

@egrace I interviewed at other schools and was accepted to another. For me it came down to essentially where I got more “warm fuzzies.” It also helped that the tuition was low and I get to be very close to family. 

Anywhere you go the faculty will attempt to build their picture of a perfect PA class. So usually everyone will get along and be as similar/dissimilar as the faculty deems appropriate 

To speak to the probation, I don’t feel it’s impacted us in any way. The only thing it’s done is improve the program. Some changes they’ve made have been that the PA program is under the school of medicine instead of the school of health professions, and some additional curriculum stuff (like genetics). The full report can be found on the ARC-PA website. 

And to whoever asked for interview advice, just be yourself and friendly but don’t get too comfortable and say something careless! ?

The format will probably still be traditional with two, one-on-one interviews. Y’all will be in group waiting rooms with one or more current students to pick our brains. 

25 minutes ago, charmalarm said:

Congrats to all who have received interview invites!

i applied mid May and received my under review email 8/21 (after others who had applied after me), so I wonder if they’re not going in order or if I still have a chance at an interview.

Hey there! Im having the same worries, I received my under review email on 08/08 and I havent heard back about an interview yet. I was also wondering if I still have a chance at an interview? 

1 hour ago, texas27 said:

Hey there! Im having the same worries, I received my under review email on 08/08 and I havent heard back about an interview yet. I was also wondering if I still have a chance at an interview? 

I'm in the same boat as you. I received my under review email on 8/7, and I haven't heard back about an interview. From what I can tell from previous years' threads, that's generally not been good news as they tend to go in order of under review email dates for interviews. I hope I'm wrong, and we are still in the running for interview invites!

Edited by ekatiel