UTMB 2018-2019 Admissions Cycle

Guest physasst3
13 minutes ago, scarr2015 said:

Strange... I submitted, was verified, and got access to MyStar mid-may... but still haven't gotten the email saying my application is under review. 

Same thing has happened to me! I applied early June and have received nothing. I emailed them to make sure everything was received in my app and they told me they had. I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought that.

On 8/11/2018 at 3:01 PM, physasst3 said:

Same thing has happened to me! I applied early June and have received nothing. I emailed them to make sure everything was received in my app and they told me they had. I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought that.

I was verified July 2 and my application says complete within MyStar but I have not gotten an under review email either! I will contact them tomorrow but it does make me feel better I am not alone. 

49 minutes ago, charmalarm said:

Alright I feel like it should be anyday now ?

Seriously though, I feel like I'm checking my email every day hoping to hear something!

Has anyone still not recieved an under review email? I got initial application acknowledgement and MyStar stuff June 4th & 5th, but still have not recieved an under review email. Not sure if I should email them!

Edited by egrace

20 minutes ago, egrace said:

Seriously though, I feel like I'm checking my email every day hoping to hear something!

Has anyone still not recieved an under review email? I got initial application acknowledgement and MyStar stuff June 4th & 5th, but still have not recieved an under review email. Not sure if I should email them!

I submitted MyStar app 6/21 and haven't received an under review email either???

I can't figure out why some have gotten the under review emails and others haven't. It doesn't seem to be date dependent. I got an under review email three weeks ago, and in the past, they've generally sent out the first interview invites about three weeks from that email. That's why I thought they might send out interview invites today. The clock is ticking away today, though, so I don't think it's going to happen. Someone on here said they were going to call and ask about the under review emails, but I don't think they checked back in. It probably wouldn't hurt to call if you still haven't gotten one, just to ask for clarification.

Edited by ekatiel

CASPA Submitted: 7/27

Verified: 8/2

MyStar Access: 8/7

Under Review email: 8/21

Give them time to send the under review email. I had noticed that some people who submitted/verified after me had gotten that email, and I called UTMB and they said they were running behind on sending those emails.  It was another week or so when I received my under review email. My friend who just graduated from UTMB said they were running a bit behind this year, so we have to be patient! Good luck y'all!

Edited by ja2011

1 hour ago, stc2015 said:

Last year they didn't send out interview invites until September! ?

Actually, last year the first under review emails went out on July 25th and the first interview invites went out on August 22nd. The first actual interview date was September 11, I believe. So, I guess it was a full 28 days between the first under review emails and the first interview invites, which would mean the first interview invites could go out next Tuesday, September 4th, if they follow last year's pattern.

I'm also a current first year! I'm watching these boards if y'all have q's. 

**Personal opinion ahead**

I think the faculty is running behind this year. They said they were just starting to look at the apps as of a week or two ago. If you received an "under review" it may be that the faculty that's been assigned the stack containing your application just accepted them or in any case has began to look at them. I know a couple said they haven't started yet.

Good luck y'all!

On 8/29/2018 at 8:41 AM, reticentt said:

Hey everyone!

Current first year here at UTMB. Feel free to reach out if y'all have any questions.

19 hours ago, EnterobacterJim said:

I'm also a current first year! I'm watching these boards if y'all have q's. 

**Personal opinion ahead**

I think the faculty is running behind this year. They said they were just starting to look at the apps as of a week or two ago. If you received an "under review" it may be that the faculty that's been assigned the stack containing your application just accepted them or in any case has began to look at them. I know a couple said they haven't started yet.

Good luck y'all!

Thank y'all for reaching out and being willing to answer questions! Can you tell us what your schedule is like for didactic? And if you've got any interview tips, that would be great!

@ekatiel Attached are my Summer I and Fall schedules. Genetics was only 3 Friday's of the 8 weeks in the Summer schedule, something new they incorporated this year which had very good guest lecturers. Lab times vary. For my interview and from what I've heard from many of my classmates, they play good cop/bad cop. You have 2 interviews I want to say 20 minutes each with 2 different faculty members. Some of us will be there with y'all in the waiting rooms before the interviews and can give more insight into who you are assigned to interview with at that time. Wish y'all the best of luck and hope to see you on your interview days!

Summer I.png

Fall.png

Edited by PAdreamer16
  • Upvote 1

@PAdreamer16 Thank you so much for the schedule and the interview tips! The schedule really gives some insight into what didactic will be like. I'm glad that there seems to be some study time built into the day. I was expecting it to be 8am-5pm M-F in class, placing all study time in the evenings or on weekends. I might actually get eight hours of sleep some days during the didactic year, which is comforting!!  Finger crossed that I'll get you meet you during an interview! Thanks again for the insights.