What PA Recruiters @ SEMPA said about the CAQ

I've been pondering taking the CAQ and trying to evaluate the the benefits vs. the cost, especially in comparison to spending the time and money on other training like ultrasound and FCCS.  So, while at SEMPA I asked about every recruiter about how much value they attached to folks having the CAQ.   I asked recruiters from the large national staffing companies and multiple of the smaller hospital system or regional companies.  The most common response, approximately 90%, was

"What is the CAQ?"

After I explained what it was and asked follow-on questions about how much they valued experience and specific training the consensus was that years of experience, what kind of experience, and training in specific areas, especially ultrasound, was what they were looking for.

This has been discussed in this forum before, but folks might find these data points interesting.

I am planning to pursue my EM CAQ in the next few years. I've spoken to several MD's and PA's who have no clue what it is. I've even met EMPA fellows/residents who didn't know what it was. I suspect that recruiters would recognize and appreciate the value of CAQ's if they were more informed about them. 

I was in the first cohort to take and pass the em caq. It has done a lot for me; better jobs, better privileges at those jobs, and better pay. 

My current em chief introduces me to new docs as "the only emergency medicine boarded pa in the state". I think if you explain to folks what it is you will get benefit from it. I also agree that u/s and fccs are great options. I take any and all cme that I can, especially if it is free through my jobs. here is my current list :

Certifications/Licenses

1. N.C.C.P.A. Board Certified with Surgical and Primary Care Honors

2. N.C.C.P.A. Certificate of Added Qualifications in Emergency Medicine, Inaugural exam 9/12/11

3. Oregon and Washington State P.A. Medical Licenses

4. D.E.A. Certification, Schedule II-V

5. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (A.C.L.S.) Provider and Experienced Provider Courses, Former Instructor

6. Advanced Trauma Life Support (A.T.L.S.)

7. Advanced Pediatric Life Support (A.P.L.S.) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (P.A.L.S.)

8. Tactical Emergency Casualty Course (T.E.C.C.)

9. Advanced Burn Life Support (A.B.L.S.)

10. Fundamental Critical Care Support (F.C.C.S.)

11. Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (A.L.S.O.)

12. Basic Disaster Life Support (B.D.L.S.)

13. The Difficult Airway Course (Emergency & EMS Versions)

14. Remote Medicine for the Advanced Provider (RMAP)

15. Team Health High Risk Emergency Medicine 3 Day Simulation & Procedures Course, February 2016

16. FAST Plus Emergency Ultrasound Course (SEMPA)

17. Basic Trauma Life Support (B.T.L.S.) and Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS)

18. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for Health Providers (C.P.R.)

19. Neonatal Resuscitation (N.R.P.)

20. NYC Medics Conflict Area Deployment Training

The NCCPA has found another way to get money from us! No one in my ERs even know what it is. One PA has it but he is an instructor in the PA program full time(they tend to like collecting pretty certificates). The problem is that someone is going to get the idea that to work in the ER you need this. What we don’t need is another NCCPA hoop to jump though.

LET ME JUST LEAVE THIS RIGHT HERE.....

Description

A critical access hospital in central Maine is seeking an experienced Emergency Medicine/Trauma Physician Assistant to work night shifts. The provider should have a minimum of five years of experience as they will be the sole provider in the ER. Being CAQ certified is preferred, however, candidates willing to become CAQ certified will also be considered.

• 1 month later...

The funny part about CAQ is you have to work in EM to get CAQ.  If they require CAQ for EM jobs then a new grad basically will have to go to a residency, and those only seem to take a few people at a time (from what I have seen, never been)  I guess this would be good for those who have it/can get it now/or quickly get it, as they would be at a premium.  The up and comers would be screwed.  I personally like that PAs can switch from one type of job to another, I am not in favor of making them choose a specialty out of PA school and be stuck with that.  

I just filled out the NCCPA CAQ survey about 2 hours ago.  I have thought about it, then not, then maybe, then..... shiny object and I don't want to. 

In competition with NPs (and other PAs) a few things make you stand out:

lots of experience

a doctorate

a residency

a CAQ.

Lateral mobility is going away. it really is no longer a valid reason to become a pa as credentialing committees require a procedures list to work in a specialty. If I wanted to do CT surgery(for example) at this point I would have to do a residency or find someone willing to train me on the job. docs are hospital employees now. they don't want to train pas outside of formal residencies for the most part. I am telling all new grad pas and young pas at this point to do a residency and get a doctorate. I did the EM  CAQ in 2011(first day offered) and soon thereafter got a better job with more money, less oversight, and full em procedure credentialing as both hospitals I work at consider me specialty certified in EM. For example, The FP docs have to call in anesthesia for sedation. I don't. 

On 6/27/2018 at 12:27 AM, EMEDPA said:

In competition with NPs (and other PAs) a few things make you stand out:

lots of experience

a doctorate

a residency

a CAQ.

Lateral mobility is going away. it really is no longer a valid reason to become a pa as credentialing committees require a procedures list to work in a specialty. If I wanted to do CT surgery(for example) at this point I would have to do a residency or find someone willing to train me on the job. docs are hospital employees now. they don't want to train pas outside of formal residencies for the most part. I am telling all new grad pas and young pas at this point to do a residency and get a doctorate. I did the EM  CAQ in 2011(first day offered) and soon thereafter got a better job with more money, less oversight, and full em procedure credentialing as both hospitals I work at consider me specialty certified in EM. For example, The FP docs have to call in anesthesia for sedation. I don't. 

How has your doctorate advanced your career or what doors has it opened that wouldn't have been otherwise? As always, thank you for your advice.

I am teaching 2 sections of global health/term online for a doctoral program and have numerous other opportunities for teaching at the doctoral level.. I can do this while working at my other job and do very little work from home.

I am teaching for some local PA programs doing PBLs and procedure labs. The doctorate rate is higher than the MS rate and I have several PA programs trying to recruit me into associate director positions(won't happen- I don't want to do full time academics).

The respect alone from physician colleagues would have made it worthwhile.

I have been asked to be on several boards and have been offered international opportunities leading teams, formulating policy for NGOs, etc that I could not have done without the doctorate.

see the "taking the DHSc plunge" thread here at the pa forum for a lengthy discussion of the benefits of a doctorate.

• 2 weeks later...

I look at the CAQ as an equivalent to a board certified EM physician. Yes, you need experience prior to sitting for the CAQ, which limits it to those already working in the field. But, it does make you stick out. And I definitely flaunt it. I already can see jobs making it a bigger deal. And it also helps my employer tout to our higher ups and our patients that we have x percentage of our providers board certified.

54 minutes ago, ajnelson said:

I look at the CAQ as an equivalent to a board certified EM physician. Yes, you need experience prior to sitting for the CAQ, which limits it to those already working in the field. But, it does make you stick out. And I definitely flaunt it. I already can see jobs making it a bigger deal. And it also helps my employer tout to our higher ups and our patients that we have x percentage of our providers board certified.

Yup, I am on board as  a big fan. Want a guaranteed interview with me for a job? have either a residency or a CAQ. My curent chief introduces me to new physicians as "the only emergency medicine board certified PA in the state". 

• 1 month later...

If concerned this is a NCCPA money grad, then have your employer pay the tab. Now all you have to do is prepare which is a worthwhile endeavor and likely what you are doing anyway. While one may perceive the CAQ as not necessary for current position, will the current position be the only gig till retire? A few hundred to set up future self is a small price to pay. 

As for recruiters, not particularly surprised that they do not know about the minutiae of our profession, they are more interested in finding a body that meets criteria for position and moving on to filling the next assignment. BTW, my group of EMPAs is having the CAQ be a goal of every new hire and would be preferential for those already holding the status.

George

Archived