LOR Problem

Hello fellow forum members,

This is my second time applying to PA school, I applied last cycle. One of LOR writers for last cycle was a charge nurse for a Critical Care unit that I worked with since 2015. However, we no have no longer worked together for the past 8 months since I moved out of state. I was able to get a few interviews last cycle but was only waitlisted at one school.

I emailed her twice asking if she would write my LOR again for the 2018 cycle but she never replied. I called her today and she told me that she is going to be perfectly honest that she does not feel that she can get her LOR in by my personal deadline of June 1st. She asked me to send her a copy of the old LOR she used last cycle, since she gave me copy after she submitted her evaluation, and she said she will email me to let me know if she can update it and get it in. 

I am unsure if I should extend my personal deadline for her LOR or if I should see this as a red flag and ask another person for a LOR. The last thing I want to do is burden my old LOR writer since she has greatly helped me out in the past. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I do not see the harm in having her recycle the old LOR, especially since she has not worked with you in 8 months. She can update what was written with any additional anecdotes. I worry that it will be challenging to find a strong LOR writer by the time you have before your personal deadline.

Another option... your application can be "placed in line for verification" with only two of the three references received. Ensure you have two references completed, ask another person for a LOR but give them more time, and submit June 1st. It can take up to 4 weeks for applications to be processed, so in that time the third LOR writer could submit.

I would prioritize strong letter writers over all else. Good luck!

On 5/10/2018 at 5:02 PM, Anteater2014 said:

I emailed her twice asking if she would write my LOR again for the 2018 cycle but she never replied. I called her today and she told me that she is going to be perfectly honest that she does not feel that she can get her LOR in by my personal deadline of June 1st. She asked me to send her a copy of the old LOR she used last cycle, since she gave me copy after she submitted her evaluation, and she said she will email me to let me know if she can update it and get it in. 

I am unsure if I should extend my personal deadline for her LOR or if I should see this as a red flag and ask another person for a LOR. The last thing I want to do is burden my old LOR writer since she has greatly helped me out in the past. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Not responding to 2 emails and hesitant in a call sounds like a huge red flag to me. I would have someone else write your LOR. I wouldn't take the chance of her writing a subpar or negative one. LOR writers are usually happy to write you one if you're close to them, even if they take forever and are super busy. I always thought having a LOR was just a check in the box and they just scan over them. A lot of my interviews last cycle mentioned my excellent LORs, so they do really read them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived