Academic Infractions

Hi all. So as I was filling out my CASPA application and stumbled upon the Academic Infraction section. At my first school I was put on disciplinary suspension for a year over an incident that was COMPLETELY blown out of proportion. I was in a physical altercation with another student at an off campus party - she initiated, I defended myself, she reported me. Not that I don't blame myself because I am still to blame but I feel that it's a huge red mark on my otherwise really good application (>1000 hours of HCE, honors, certifications, awards, etc.). I am obviously always going to admit to it on my applications because I feel that it is an integrity thing.... BUT will the committee totally overlook me just because of that incident? Or do I still have a chance???

They won't completely overlook your entire application in most instances, depends on the school specifically. But for the most part, if you meet all the requirements and have a good application otherwise, they will still consider you. However, it still may be counted against you when comparing a similar application without an academic infarction. But if you get an interview, rock the interview, be confident! This one little thing won't ruin it for you. Goodluck!

Hi! Thank you for your response! I kind of figured what you mentioned in your 3rd sentence about how it would be counted against me next to a very similar application. But otherwise you gave me a bit more confidence in my application process - now I feel like I can focus on my personal statement. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Archived