The Online MA Course has done *nothing* for me. :(

The USCareerInstitute.com medical assistant course doesn't offer any sort of externship, or connections for you to get an externship.

So, even though I passed the exam w/ an 86% after only 8 weeks, and received my CCMA, the fact that I've had no clinical experience has gotten me a "no" after over FIFTY job applications. They love my resume, think I'm a great writer, and many gave me interviews, but they all shook their heads sadly and said, "We'd love to have you, but we can't train you here."

I tried connecting w/ local MA schools, to see if I could sign up and get some sort of externship through them--but since I was already certified, they said no!

???????????????

I'm starting my EMT training next month, so that will certainly help me get PCE, but I'm furious that I paid the money, investigated state laws, checked accrediting boards, and worked my butt off for the CCMA, and now have zero opportunities to show for it.

13 hours ago, mooredc said:

I hate to hear that. The USCI program and the CCMA opened tons of doors for me. 

It may be my state. (Maryland) Literally, not a single employer has ever even heard of a medical assistant working without an externship. One practice manager who really liked me called the NHA yesterday, & asked, "How can you certify someone as a clinical medical assistant with no clinical practice?" 

Their exact words? "We don't stand behind a candidate. We just let them take the test." 

And in Maryland, PCT's have to have a medical or nursing assistant certification, or both. 

Again, NO STATE LAWS REQUIRE THIS!!!!! JUST EMPLOYERS!!! 

It's the most frustrating damn thing I've ever experienced. :(

3 hours ago, TrekkieByDay said:

And in Maryland, PCT's have to have a medical or nursing assistant certification, or both. 

I am not talking about the PCTs that do basic care for patients at homes etc.  I am talking about hemodialysis technicians, they share the same name, but are way different.  PCTs/CCHTs in dialysis do a lot more and don't require certificates, which is odd, but it worked out for me.

3 hours ago, TrekkieByDay said:

Again, NO STATE LAWS REQUIRE THIS!!!!! JUST EMPLOYERS!!! 

I have worked for Fresenius Medical Care as a CCHT for the past 2 years, no certification required, like I mentioned above...  Look up Fresenius Medical Care or DaVita Dialysis.  These are the two largest dialysis companies in the states and to my experience, could give a rats behind about previous experience because there are not enough staff to take care of the patients so they hire constantly.  Also the constant turnover helps with the job availability.  

On 5/8/2018 at 12:30 PM, Ket131 said:

I am not talking about the PCTs that do basic care for patients at homes etc.  I am talking about hemodialysis technicians, they share the same name, but are way different.  PCTs/CCHTs in dialysis do a lot more and don't require certificates, which is odd, but it worked out for me.

I have worked for Fresenius Medical Care as a CCHT for the past 2 years, no certification required, like I mentioned above...  Look up Fresenius Medical Care or DaVita Dialysis.  These are the two largest dialysis companies in the states and to my experience, could give a rats behind about previous experience because there are not enough staff to take care of the patients so they hire constantly.  Also the constant turnover helps with the job availability.  

Doesn't mean you would want to work with those companies if they have constant turnover. That is terrible advise, you have to enjoy your job as well, it is not just a "check the box" thing as you are still dealing with people (someones dad, sister, brother, uncle, etc...). 

47 minutes ago, camoman1234 said:

Doesn't mean you would want to work with those companies if they have constant turnover. That is terrible advise, you have to enjoy your job as well, it is not just a "check the box" thing as you are still dealing with people (someones dad, sister, brother, uncle, etc...). 

You both have valid points.  I think however, given Trekkie's need for entry level medical experience, it's best gain quality experience and get a positive first impression of patient care if possible.  No offense to Ket131, I'm sure you were a compitent tech, but I have heard terrible horror stories about DaVita Dialysis.  

3 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

It is impetuous to think that those that are looking for dPCE are going to treat people without the respect they deserve even though they are looking to "check the box" as you say.  I picked my work because I needed experience and that was what was available, but I treat people as individuals.  Perhaps you are speaking from your own personal experience? 

2 hours ago, SephONE said:

You both have valid points.  I think however, given Trekkie's need for entry level medical experience, it's best gain quality experience and get a positive first impression of patient care if possible.  No offense to Ket131, I'm sure you were a compitent tech, but I have heard terrible horror stories about DaVita Dialysis.  

That's fine because I don't work for DaVita.  Also, there are horror stories at every work place. 

4 hours ago, Ket131 said:

It is impetuous to think that those that are looking for dPCE are going to treat people without the respect they deserve even though they are looking to "check the box" as you say.  I picked my work because I needed experience and that was what was available, but I treat people as individuals.  Perhaps you are speaking from your own personal experience? 

That's fine because I don't work for DaVita.  Also, there are horror stories at every work place. 

What? I never said that one would treat someone with disrespect, I meant if you work for a crappy company then most likely you will hate your job, not be happy and just "do your job" without really putting everything you have into it. You can still be a good care giver, but may not the greatest one. If you work in a bad environment that sets a negative trend in your HCE which is not good.   

54 minutes ago, camoman1234 said:

I never said that one would treat someone with disrespect

It was definitely implied.  Perhaps rereading would serve some purpose?

54 minutes ago, camoman1234 said:

I meant if you work for a crappy company then most likely you will hate your job, not be happy and just "do your job" without really putting everything you have into it.

Also, turnover doesn't necessarily mean crappy company.  Some work is just hard and people cannot do it for a long time.  There are what I could call "lifers" in dialysis, but the majority of those people are nurses and they do not share the same responsibilities as technicians.  When it comes to tech work it's physically exhausting and the hours are longer and there is also responsibly which goes beyond just the patients (going into the biomed sphere of dialysis).  Also, from what I have seen is many people use this work as a stepping stone and I learned a lot while working as a CCHT.  Which was exactly the case for me and why I gave my "terrible advice."  Most jobs like the one the OP is looking for are not ones she is not necessarily going to love...the point is she needs experience so she can get to her goal of getting into school.

58 minutes ago, Ket131 said:

It was definitely implied.  Perhaps rereading would serve some purpose?

Also, turnover doesn't necessarily mean crappy company.  Some work is just hard and people cannot do it for a long time.  There are what I could call "lifers" in dialysis, but the majority of those people are nurses and they do not share the same responsibilities as technicians.  When it comes to tech work it's physically exhausting and the hours are longer and there is also responsibly which goes beyond just the patients (going into the biomed sphere of dialysis).  Also, from what I have seen is many people use this work as a stepping stone and I learned a lot while working as a CCHT.  Which was exactly the case for me and why I gave my "terrible advice."  Most jobs like the one the OP is looking for are not ones she is not necessarily going to love...the point is she needs experience so she can get to her goal of getting into school.

Read into what you want to. Get experience at at a better place is all I'm saying. You think you have it figured out then good for you. My comments our based off past experiences. Do what you want, one will live and learn.

5 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

Read into what you want to. Get experience at at a better place is all I'm saying. You think you have it figured out then good for you. My comments our based off past experiences. Do what you want, one will live and learn.

Dude, everyones comments on here are from past experience...and there is no specific recipe for success ...

image.png.93c106c74409860bb7054f885a005490.png

3 hours ago, Ket131 said:

Dude, everyones comments on here are from past experience...and there is no specific recipe for success ...

image.png.93c106c74409860bb7054f885a005490.png

Apparently you do not want to get it or just fighting against it. I will let you be at your own devices and sink or swim, but do not give bad advice such as "Also the constant turnover helps with the job availability." You will learn year after year that "just getting a job" is not the best thing for any level of education and/or experience. The way to change these types of terrible jobs is not to accept their offer and let them know why OR just do not apply there if you know there is a lot of turnover. All you pre-PA students are so quick to get into PA school by 25 that you cannot stand to actually get real HCE (EMT-P, RN, RRT, etc) and put your time in, it will benefit you later in life as well as in your PA career. Nothing wrong with a PCA or phlebotomist (someone has got to do it), but those do not give you the assessment skills and let alone no real skills you will use as a PA. Those jobs are so entry level most anyone can do them with little to no formal education.    

Archived