29 minutes ago, BobSaget said:

Working every Saturday (no Sundays). 12 hr shifts.

$55/hr. 1% of collections related to shifts worked*; however, if arrive late more than 15% of shifts each month the rate is 0.5%, paid monthly

401k 4% match after 6 months. 

Malpractice: Employer paid, including tail for at least two years beyond the life of the company policy. At least $1M per incident, $3M annual aggregate

I am already working full time in family medicine. Trying to earn more income and learn in another environment.

This is in an metro area of a big south east city.

Thoughts? I wanted to ask for $65/hr. 

1% is nothing...kinda weird in my book as 1% of $5,000 is $50 so not really a "bonus"

The 401K is nice, but I would tell them I do not need it and I would want X amount per hour. Now it depends where you live and the COL. $55/hr for PRN work in UC around my area (low COL) is good. I was offered $43/hr for weekend/evening UC shifts and had to go to 3 different clinics (and they did not pay for mileage) and I literally laughed at the guy (I have 4 years of family medicine/urgent care experience) with 4+ years as an RT in a level 1 trauma center (mainly ER/ICU work) so I would ask for more $$$. $65/hr sounds fair to me if you are in a normal to high COL. The worst they can say is no and you already have a job so not too much of a big deal if you don't get this PRN job. Good luck! 

17 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

depends on collections. I used to work at places that cleared 100k/day in collections, so that would be 1k/shift...or 100/hr for a 10 hr shift. 

Per provider? How is that possible. How many was being seen and how were those visits billed. If you see 3 patients per hour in UC in a 10 hours shift that is 30 patients per day and at 100K/day that is $3,333/patient visit...That UTI/URI/PNA/laceration does not pay that much...please help me understand this?

On 5/7/2018 at 3:20 PM, camoman1234 said:

1% is nothing...kinda weird in my book as 1% of $5,000 is $50 so not really a "bonus"

The 401K is nice, but I would tell them I do not need it and I would want X amount per hour. Now it depends where you live and the COL. $55/hr for PRN work in UC around my area (low COL) is good. I was offered $43/hr for weekend/evening UC shifts and had to go to 3 different clinics (and they did not pay for mileage) and I literally laughed at the guy (I have 4 years of family medicine/urgent care experience) with 4+ years as an RT in a level 1 trauma center (mainly ER/ICU work) so I would ask for more $$$. $65/hr sounds fair to me if you are in a normal to high COL. The worst they can say is no and you already have a job so not too much of a big deal if you don't get this PRN job. Good luck! 

Followed your advice and denied the 401k for a $65 hourly rate.

Waiting on his response now

9 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

Per provider? How is that possible. How many was being seen and how were those visits billed. If you see 3 patients per hour in UC in a 10 hours shift that is 30 patients per day and at 100K/day that is $3,333/patient visit...That UTI/URI/PNA/laceration does not pay that much...please help me understand this?

100k for 100-130 pts/day(was open 24/7) with multiple providers (4/day). This was a high acuity urgent care that operated like a freestanding ED with xray and lab and was associated with a local trauma ctr. I ran codes there, cardioverted, intubated, reduced fxs, etc

I took the OPs bonus structure to be based on daily volume as in 1% of total collections/day. 

(1% of collections related to shifts worked*). If it personal RVUs , not group, then it is much less obviously. I have worked at places that did both(either personal rvu or group bonus pool). 

2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

100k for 100-130 pts/day(was open 24/7) with multiple providers (4/day). This was a high acuity urgent care that operated like a freestanding ED with xray and lab and was associated with a local trauma ctr. I ran codes there, cardioverted, intubated, reduced fxs, etc

I took the OPs bonus structure to be based on daily volume as in 1% of total collections/day. 

(1% of collections related to shifts worked*). If it personal RVUs , not group, then it is much less obviously. I have worked at places that did both(either personal rvu or group bonus pool). 

Gotcha. Never heard of group RVU as the definition of relative is "considered in relation or in proportion to something else" and that proportion (to me) is the work that "you" as the provider does. Cause how is it fair it one provider in the pool is quick and the other slow etc...that pooling system would not settle well with me. 

49 minutes ago, BobSaget said:

So he responded with $60/hr and 2% collections productivity bonus. (he said this should come out to be 63-65/hr)

Should I counter once more with $63/hr and 2% collections? 

What's a reasonable amount that I'll bring in for collections as a new grad per 12 hr shift?

I'm assuming this is a 1099 gig since it's per diem.  It seems like a fair offer if you are in an area where salaries are on the low-moderate side.

Guest JMPA

SMFH, why do people undermine salaries? UC is a high risk field, yes COL comes into play BUT I would never do UC as 1099, and certainly not for PC wages, please people know your value and your risks along with average salary reports for your demographic. I would not do 1099 UC, and i would not do UC for under 75/hr in any city. Be careful with 1099, you may not be able to work that way depending on your state laws.

You're a new grad.  Don't push your luck too much with salary.  I would be more concerned with the training they will give you.  I've said this before, but I will say it again, UC is not a good first job unless you can spend months training.  Just too much that can and will go wrong.

9 hours ago, JMPA said:

SMFH, why do people undermine salaries? UC is a high risk field, yes COL comes into play BUT I would never do UC as 1099, and certainly not for PC wages, please people know your value and your risks along with average salary reports for your demographic. I would not do 1099 UC, and i would not do UC for under 75/hr in any city. Be careful with 1099, you may not be able to work that way depending on your state laws.

really depends on the market. I know 30 year em pas making 60/hr as w2 employees. I am not one of them, but it is fairly hard in many places to make 75/hr as a pa doing anything with any amount of experience. the avg for em> 1 yr experience is around 110k or so. that is 55/hr ish...

9 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

really depends on the market. I know 30 year em pas making 60/hr as w2 employees. I am not one of them, but it is fairly hard in many places to make 75/hr as a pa doing anything with any amount of experience. the avg for em> 1 yr experience is around 110k or so. that is 55/hr ish...

Agreed 100%. I don't know too many PAs making $75/hr, especially not as a new grad with a crisp, shiny PA diploma. You certainly want to earn your worth, but expectations also need to be realistic. As has been stated multiple times throughout the forum, the first PA job isn't so much about the pay as it is about the correct training environment to grow. The money can follow later but you don't get back those years where you're allowed to be the PA who doesn't effortlessly show up and hit the ground running.

Archived