I'm a 2nd-yr PA-C currently stuck in geriatrics but interested in psych. I think my next job would be in psych (in an ideal scenario, as of now). I get a lot of new patients from nursing homes and ALFs that are already on psych medications. I haven't found a good reference guide for psych meds outside of the 1st line SSRI's that are started for depression/anxiety and stuff that I learned in school. 

Is there a good source for what meds come after SSRI's? I inherit a lot of patients who are on SNRI's/Anti-psychotics and although I don't manage them (they are often seen by psychiatry), a lot of these people have a hard time being seen by psych because they are few and far between and the wait times to get to their psychiatrists are pretty long. I just want to know why they would take one med over another, like:

for SSRI's: why would you choose celexa vs. lexapro vs. prozac vs. paxil vs. zoloft, etc...

when would you consider an SNRI?

for psychosis: why would you choose zyprexa vs. geodon vs. risperdal

something that would break down basic questions into a quick guide for someone like me who doesn't work in psych would be much appreciated! Medscape & UpToDate are a little to detailed for what I'm looking for, although I read up on those too-- but something more quick and dirty is more appropriate for what i'm looking for

Have you looked at Family Practice Notebook? 

Very easy and to the point. Not like reading a book (UpToDate). 

Can't offer a good resource but after watching a PCP and a psychiatrist prescribe it usually comes down to efficacy, side effects, medication interactions, insurance coverage, and then essentially provider preference.  Start somewhere and work with the patient to figure out best efficacy with least side effects.  As with all medications, there is no single correct answer so it's a little trial and error.  

the only two books you need for psych:

1. Synopsis of psychiatry by Kaplan and Sadock

2. Prescriber's Guide: Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By UnconfidentnewGrad
      Okay. So I have been having trouble finding a job out of PA school. I graduated in December. I applied to a few residencies and fellowships and made it to the final round of one of the residencies but ultimately was not chosen. (This process took 2.5 months of my life= 1.5 months waiting for the interview and 1 month waiting for the results).
      So now I am 7 months out of school and without a job. The biggest problem is that I struggle with confidence. I did very well on all my tests in school but I feel like 2 years in school wasn't enough for me to be ready to practice medicine. Unfortunately, all of the fellowships and residences have deadlines that have passed so I am trying to find a job that will be welcoming of a new grad and be training heavy.
      I have a few interviews/job offers but need some advice of which would be best for me.
      One job primary care. They will give me 1-2 weeks of shadowing the doctor then 2 months of working in the same clinic with the doctor who I can utilize for questions. After that time I would be solo at one of the clinics. Pay is okay 90k but job is in California which is kind of expensive. 
      One job is Urgent care. Shadowing for maybe 1 month then would be solo "sometimes" at 2 of their locations. But able to call doc at other locations if I have a question. Better pay and benefits than the primary care job. But I have read on the forum that Urgent care may not be the best for a new grad to start in. 
      One jobs is endocrinology (I am scared this may be too specific for my first job and I may not be able to get out of this specialty if I end up not liking it). 
      Any advice of which I should take if offered the position (knowing that I am a new grad who struggles with confidence)? I wish there were more residencies and fellowships for pAs!

Thanks!
    • By marrbarr10
      Curious if anyone had recommendations for useful gastroenterology books, as I will begin working in an inpatient & outpatient setting in 2 weeks. I would like to study the "basics" so the practice doesn't instantly regret hiring me ;) Any recommendations (or even advice) is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(P.S. -- yes, I did see that the same question was posted in 2011. Though, would like to see if people have different ideas 7 years later!)
    • By slyflourish
      Hey all, would appreciate your inputs-  thoughts, questions, concerns welcomed. Thanks! 
      Rural midwest FQHC, 4 or 5 day work week. Low COL area.

85k base (nonnegotiable, increase to 90k after 2 yrs, no productivity) 10k student loan reimbursement Retirement 1% match, w/ potential 1% extra dependent on overall practice productivity Health benefits req. ~$30-100 monthly contribution a little over 7 weeks accrued PTO yearly (includes everything- vaca, holidays if scheduled, sick, cme) 3k CME Natl and state professional assoc fees, license,  PANCE paid for, won't say no to others within reason. (Uptodate incl) malpractice with tail incl. but I need to spend more time understanding the actual coverage  

• By IMGtoPA
      Has anyone transitioned to primary care from a specialty? I'm a relatively new grad that has about 2 yrs of experience, all primary care jobs. I've always wondered what it would be like to be in a specialty. I'm feeling the burnout already and mostly from the charting. I've had 2 different primary care jobs and the charting is pretty heavy in both. I'm pretty quick about typing and charting too and I still don't see how it can get any faster than it already is for me.
      More importantly, is the stress level at a specialty any lower, especially considering the fact that your visits are more focused in one area? Between taking everything into consideration, along with walk-ins/sick visits, new patient visits, annual visits-- primary care can give someone an ulcer just thinking about the workflow.
    • By Kilian12
      Dear East Bay PAs,

I begin PA school in January of 2018 and beginning in March our program is placing us into what they call Longitudinal Clinical Experience (LCE), where we spend time in a primary care, family practice or internal medicine practice for 4-5 hours one day a week for the remainder of the didactic year (through December 2018) in order to get mentorship and training in patient care.

I have been in research and healthcare for a long time now (7+ years), and have quite a bit of prior clinic experience and patient exposure across the UCSF network both in San Francisco and Oakland. Unfortunately because my work has always been in specialty clinics I do not have a network of colleagues and prior mentors in primary care/internal medicine.

If you are a certified PA, MD or DO in primary care/IM in the Contra Costa or Alameda counties and are willing to accept a student in 2018, I would love the opportunity to speak with you. I am happy to send my CV to you as well. If you know anyone who might be interested, I would appreciate your referral as well.

Thanks very much!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More