Ch. 33 STEM Extenstion

has anybody here heard of anyone using the CH. 33 extension to help cover the cost of PA school. I called my schools fin. aid and they said that's it only available for undergrads and those pursing teaching certifications. The way the verbage in the bill read it seemed like it was anybody pursuing further education in a STEM field if you are continuing from a previous STEM degree.  From my understanding it goes into effect  in Aug. '19, I'm starting class this August....Would love to milk uncle sam for some more sweet bennies.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the phone with a VA representative about this.  They don't know much about it themselves, but I agree with you and the verbiage.  The representative pretty much read directly from the bill, and didn't have any other information.  She did say they would know more closer to the date the bill takes effect.  I hope I get an extension, because that would be pretty sweet!  Now for the hurry up and wait. Not much has changed, even after being separated ?

• 2 weeks later...

Now it's going to be interesting to find out if this is part of getting up to 48 months of benefits or it's an actual extension. Like you could use your 36 months of Montgomery, and then get an additional 12 months of Post 9/11. You could also do the same thing with the Voc Rehab and Gi Bill combo.

I got this from the VA website:

" VA can pay each eligible individual the benefits for up to nine additional months, but the total may not exceed $30,000. VA will not be authorized to issue any Yellow Ribbon payments." 

It would be nice to get nine additional months paid for, which would be about 3 semesters worth. So if we were to get approved for this, I'm guessing that maybe only 1.5 semesters worth will be covered since there's a $30,000 cap.

• 1 month later...

I just saw on the VA website the start date for the program is August 2019!! They most have rolled back the date because they hadnt quite figured out the details of the program. It was suppose to be this August. 

On 5/3/2018 at 11:16 PM, FunkyMedic said:

has anybody here heard of anyone using the CH. 33 extension to help cover the cost of PA school. I called my schools fin. aid and they said that's it only available for undergrads and those pursing teaching certifications. The way the verbage in the bill read it seemed like it was anybody pursuing further education in a STEM field if you are continuing from a previous STEM degree.  From my understanding it goes into effect  in Aug. '19, I'm starting class this August....Would love to milk uncle sam for some more sweet bennies.

It specifically said health care programs or similar programs qualified. 

Archived